Question about Embarkation when the Ship Remains in Port Overnight

loriva

A question for those who have done the Viking Homelands itinerary.

We board the Viking Jupiter in Stockholm.  We are flying in (independent air) the day before.  What is the earliest time we can expect to board?  (Not access our cabin, just arrive at the cruise terminal for boarding.)

To explain my query--because our flight into Stockholm arrives in the late afternoon, our only time to visit the Vasa Museum is the day we board the ship.  Trying to figure out which is the better plan--leave our luggage at the hotel (Hilton Slussen) when we check out and then retrieve it en route to the terminal after the museum?OR head to the cruise terminal early, drop our luggage, check in, and then go out to the museum?  If we do the latter, is there any place on the ship to leave carry-on luggage (roller boards)?  (We've been on some ships that provide this service in the theater or other venue when accessing cabins is later in the day.)

Leaving the bags at the hotel seems like an easier plan to me, but I've read so much on the VO boards about needing to board as early as possible to book restaurants, cooking classes, etc. that I'm a little nervous about not boarding until mid-afternoon if we do the museum first (does not open until 1000 hours.)  We have booked our alternative restaurants, but the on-line reservation system would not let us combine our reservations with the other two couples in our sailing party (despite the "Invite" button.)  Obviously, no worries about missing the ship as it remains overnight.  

I am also  boarding the Viking Jupiter in Stockholm, which begins with an overnight. The Vasa museum is an optional tour on MJV  for the second day in port. 

If you do it on your own,  suggest you leave  your bags at the hotel and go to Vasa museum as early as possible. then back to hotel and  take a taxi to ship. Even if you arrive in mid afternoon, you should be fine for booking  on board reservations.

I am on my roll call and some passengers do not get into Stockholm till late morning  or early afternoon with Viking Air.of the first day of our cruise. So  they will  also drop off their bags and go exploring .

Don't know when you re sailing  but did see on  this thread that Viking now has  reservations on MJV  to include other friends. You need add  their account number and put in the  reservation system. 

Enjoy  the sail away from  Stockholm which others have told me is spectacular

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

I am also  boarding the Viking Jupiter in Stockholm, which begins with an overnight. The Vasa museum is an optional tour on MJV  for the second day in port. 

If you do it on your own,  suggest you leave  your bags at the hotel and go to Vasa museum as early as possible. then back to hotel and  take a taxi to ship. Even if you arrive in mid afternoon, you should be fine for booking  on board reservations.

I am on my roll call and some passengers do not get into Stockholm till late morning  or early afternoon with Viking Air.of the first day of our cruise. So  they will  also drop off their bags and go exploring .

Don't know when you re sailing  but did see on  this thread that Viking now has  reservations on MJV  to include other friends. You need add  their account number and put in the  reservation system. 

Enjoy  the sail away from  Stockholm which others have told me is spectacular

DH has never been to Stockholm before, so we're opting to do the "Old Town by Foot" tour on Day Two.  The Vasa Museum tour through Viking is $229/pp versus the $18 admission fee.  We can take the public ferry from the island where the museum is located back to the hotel area to include the "by boat" part of the Viking optional tour and have a couple hundred per person left over.  (Which has not stopped others--the tour on our 01 May departure is sold out.  We've always been DIY people.)

The three couples in our group are in different cabin categories.  The one in the highest category tried to invite the four of us in lower categories via our booking numbers, but MVJ would not let them do so.  They called Viking but it was also a no-go.  We were told to book shared tables for the same date/times and then the reservations could be combined onboard.  Which is why boarding late has me nervous, especially as there do not appear to be a lot of six-tops in the alternative restaurants per other posters on the boards.  Oh, well.

7 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Vasa is a must see. It’s also cheaper if you do it yourself.  Old town is an easy walk which can be done anytime.  

There is a free walking tour of Gamla Stan (Old Stockholm, you should tip the guide at the end, of course). Agree that Vasa is a must…take the ferry from Gamla Stan (near the usual Stockholm docking for Viking).