MIAMI - disembarking ? taxi?

j3000

we're on a 4-day cruise in April. Disembarking Monday April 10.

Been a while, so just wondering....

- how is taxi situation re getting to Miami Airport? ok? other? advice/comments? (we're not Uber people)

- flight's not til 2:30pm. How late can you stay onboard? any point? any suggestions for maybe killing an hour or 2 before going to airport...if we want to?

Thanks.

There will be a line of cabs waiting at POM for passengers heading to MIA, etc.  Metered fare from POM to MIA will be about $30+tip.

You will be off the ship NLT about 9:30 so that they can get ready for the next set of passengers.  The cruise line may offer an excursion that will finish at MIA (Hop-on/off bus tours are popular) and they will transport your bags with you to the airport.

2:30 p.m. means getting there around 12:30, honestly not much time. Maybe there is a quick excursion bus tour that the cruise line will offer that drops you off at MIA. Otherwise, I would just head to the airport. Hopefully you are flying out of the South or North Terminal (what airline?) where there are decent spots to eat and even shop. 

Taxi is easy and around $30 or so plus tip. Uber will be a bit cheaper with an UberX and likely better service/driver from my experience. 

Uber and Lyft are not worth the hassle, IMO. You have to order it via the App and then wait for your car to show up. The fact it's in Miami is irrelevant. But I would just get a taxi; they're right there waiting for you and off you go. Just make sure the meter is working and set to zero and ask before you get in whether the credit card machine is working (if you're paying with a card). To save 5 bucks using a rideshare is not worth it, again IMO. And allowing 3 hours for check-in and security is a wise idea at MIA. MIA gets superbusy and the security lines can be really long!

3 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Uber and Lyft are not worth the hassle, IMO. You have to order it via the App and then wait for your car to show up. The fact it's in Miami is irrelevant. But I would just get a taxi; they're right there waiting for you and off you go. Just make sure the meter is working and set to zero and ask before you get in whether the credit card machine is working (if you're paying with a card). To save 5 bucks using a rideshare is not worth it, again IMO. And allowing 3 hours for check-in and security is a wise idea at MIA. MIA gets superbusy and the security lines can be really long!

I couldn't agree more...regardless of what port we're in. It's either taxi ( if it's just the two of us) or private transportation when it's our extend family of 6 or more. I'm just not an Uber person.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to get the RC shuttle from airport to port, but flight comes in too late.  Sounds like it will cost about $30 from Miami airport to cruise port via taxi.

I'm not an Uber person either.  

Edited by moposh

On 3/12/2023 at 10:28 AM, jargey3000 said:

we're on a 4-day cruise in April. Disembarking Monday April 10.

Been a while, so just wondering....

- how is taxi situation re getting to Miami Airport? ok? other? advice/comments? (we're not Uber people)

- flight's not til 2:30pm. How late can you stay onboard? any point? any suggestions for maybe killing an hour or 2 before going to airport...if we want to?

Thanks.

I have read that Miami is a very busy airport and to allow 3 hours before your flight.

I booked a shore excursion on the last day which will drop us off at airport.  If you don't want to do that, I would probably just go straight to airport. 

You have to leave your cabin by 8:00 a.m.  You can take the latest departure.  Can't remember what time that is.  You would have your luggage with you so not sure what you could do if you tried to get an activity in.