Price and OBC changed over two months after booking - has this happened to anyone else?

Anastas617

I apologize that this is a bit of a vent post because I have had nothing but frustration with Princess since I've booked.

So, I logged on as "booked guest" because the Princess website is useless and I can't login under my account without creating an entirely new membership number. I am now showing a balance due of $365.00 (due on 08JAN23?) and my $250 OBC ($200 + $50 TA bonus) is only showing as $50.00.

Princess won't discuss with me, so I need to go through my TA who sees the cruise price for my booking as a higher amount, thus the $365.00 balance owed.

They will follow-up with Princess for me tomorrow. I have the printed confirmation with the original price and OBC and "paid in full" on it.

I assume this will get rectified based on my confirmation evidence, but has this happened to anyone else? Like I said, I'm just venting a bit here, but I have found myself very dissatisfied with my Princess experience as far as pre-cruise and website stuff. It's left a very sour taste in my mouth before I've even gotten on the ship.

/rant over.

9 minutes ago, Anastas617 said:

They will follow-up with Princess for me tomorrow. I have the printed confirmation with the original price and OBC and "paid in full" on it.

/rant over.

Wait and see what happens after TA follow-up. 

Did your TA give you a discount off the cruise fare, or did you get the same price that was shown at the time when shopping for a cruise on Princess.com?  What you say can happen, but there is usually an explanation and you just don't have the details as yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Wait and see what happens after TA follow-up. 

Did your TA give you a discount off the cruise fare, or did you get the same price that was shown at the time when shopping for a cruise on Princess.com?  What you say can happen, but there is usually an explanation and you just don't have the details as yet.

It was an online TA. I am not 100% sure if I did the comparison at the time, but I have always found their advertised price to match the Princess site. Princess Cruises sent me the confirmation email. When my online TA looks into the booking, the price now shows as $1778.00 and OBC is only $50.

image.png.0be6d21849b486a06d29c31c66a33d32.png

1 minute ago, Coral said:

Did you bid for an upgrade?

I did not. I received an email about bidding for an upgrade, but I never followed up with it, nor had a desire to. Email states I would have had to do that through my TA.

2 hours ago, Anastas617 said:

It was an online TA. I am not 100% sure if I did the comparison at the time, but I have always found their advertised price to match the Princess site. Princess Cruises sent me the confirmation email. When my online TA looks into the booking, the price now shows as $1778.00 and OBC is only $50.

image.png.0be6d21849b486a06d29c31c66a33d32.png

I hope you get an explanation.  One thing is certain - if you have a booking and a deposit is paid, your cruise fare and perks will not change unless you initiate a change of cabin category, or want to re-fare under a new offer from Princess.  Your TA needs to explain where the $200 OBC went from Princess (they recently had a promo where each guest got $100 OBC).  The extra $50 is a group OBC from the Agency because of their bulk purchasing of cabin space. 

Another note for future is that there are online agencies (with live reps) who do offer discounts off the cruise fare.  IMO, there is no point in using a TA unless getting a discount off the Princess pricing.

Good luck getting this resolved.  Please let us know how things turn out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I hope you get an explanation.  One thing is certain - if you have a booking and a deposit is paid, your cruise fare and perks will not change unless you initiate a change of cabin category, or want to re-fare under a new offer from Princess.  Your TA needs to explain where the $200 OBC went from Princess (they recently had a promo where each guest got $100 OBC).  The extra $50 is a group OBC from the Agency because of their bulk purchasing of cabin space. 

Another note for future is that there are online agencies (with live reps) who do offer discounts off the cruise fare.  IMO, there is no point in using a TA unless getting a discount off the Princess pricing.

Thanks @Steelers36. I appreciate the response. I booked MSC and NCL both direct and the experience has been night and day. I don't think I'll be using a TA again unless I find something drastically beneficial. 

I looked into this a bit more since I won't hear back from TA until tomorrow, but the excursions I booked using OBC are showing as confirmed and paid. It just seems like something really wonky happened in the system for this booking.

I apologize that this is a bit of a vent post because I have had nothing but frustration with Princess since I've booked.

So, I logged on as "booked guest" because the Princess website is useless and I can't login under my account without creating an entirely new membership number. I am now showing a balance due of $365.00 (due on 08JAN23?) and my $250 OBC ($200 + $50 TA bonus) is only showing as $50.00.

Princess won't discuss with me, so I need to go through my TA who sees the cruise price for my booking as a higher amount, thus the $365.00 balance owed.

I assume this will get rectified based on my confirmation evidence, but has this happened to anyone else? Like I said, I'm just venting a bit here, but I have found myself very dissatisfied with my Princess experience as far as pre-cruise and website stuff. It's left a very sour taste in my mouth before I've even gotten on the ship.

/rant over.

It is these kind of strange things that can happen the exact reason we use TA (in addition to much better pricing).

Let the TA deal with this and not waste any of your time trying to deal with Princess. They will (should) do all the work to get this straightened out.

Please let us know how this works out tomorrow.

Cheers

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

While my TA does give me a discount off of the Princess pricing - I think there are several reasons to use a TA (even if she didn't discount). I appreciate her expertise and advice, I appreciate that if there is a problem with the booking - she is the one who has to be on the phone with the line fixing it as opposed to me, she has more power than I do because she is a top producer and they are more likely to want to make her happy than me as a customer and she offers other services that I benefit from that I can not get on my own. Travel agents are worth their weight in gold and are definitely an asset to customers if you get the right agent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Coral said:

While my TA does give me a discount off of the Princess pricing - I think there are several reasons to use a TA (even if she didn't discount). I appreciate her expertise and advice, I appreciate that if there is a problem with the booking - she is the one who has to be on the phone with the line fixing it as opposed to me, she has more power than I do because she is a top producer and they are more likely to want to make her happy than me as a customer and she offers other services that I benefit from that I can not get on my own. Travel agents are worth their weight in gold and are definitely an asset to customers if you get the right agent.

Thanks. I'll look into it a bit more. I really have no clue how to develop a relationship or find a good TA. The only one local to me didn't appear to want my business. Maybe I'll start combing the net and someone will jump out at me because I really have nobody to refer me or otherwise steer me to a good one. They all look good to me until they aren't! 🤣

I appreciate your feedback. I know us new cruisers probably annoy a lot of the veterans.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Anastas617 said:

Thanks. I'll look into it a bit more. I really have no clue how to develop a relationship or find a good TA. The only one local to me didn't appear to want my business. Maybe I'll start combing the net and someone will jump out at me because I really have nobody to refer me or otherwise steer me to a good one. They all look good to me until they aren't! 🤣

I appreciate your feedback. I know us new cruisers probably annoy a lot of the veterans.

My TA is across the country. She is just a phone call away. When I booked locally - I called also so it doesn't feel different.

You are not annoying by any means. We hope you are able to find resolution today with your agent. If anything - new cruisers provide a new perspective and some of us veteran cruisers are pretty jaded on some things.

Good luck today.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Coral said:

You are right of course and I was rather brash with my statement.  I guess I have never felt I needed too much other services in the past as have been pretty self-reliant.  I think the "A" agents are worth what you say, but there are plenty others worth a lump of coal.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Anastas617 said:

/rant over.

It sounds like something I had happen with NCL. The TA you used may have made a mistake on your invoice.  I use an online one also and have had to have them correct a few mistakes that they made.  This is not Princess' fault but the agents fault.  One time on NCL the TA did not apply the bev package but included it on my invoice that they sent me. It looked like I paid in full. The invoice said I had the package etc. When I went to cruiseline website it showed that the bev package was not included.  It was the TA fault as he hit the wrong button when booking it.  

Edited by ravenjls
  • Like 1

Thanks again to the folks that listened and gave advice. I "should" have this resolved now.

I'll try to be concise: I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone with my TA who was going back and forth with Princess. I booked a guaranteed balcony (BF), but Princess claimed I upgraded to (BE) in January. This never happened. I asked why "amount due" appeared Friday if I did this in January. Princess also won't talk to me about reservation and my TA had no record of this.

After a couple more back and forths I sent my TA my confirmation at her request showing my total price, obc and that I had been assigned cabin C108 (BE category) at original price.

After an eternity,  the TA switched back to me and said that apparently the discrepancy occurred because I am a shareholder. I did send in my OBC request a few weeks ago, but never saw it added or received a response. I have no idea how or why that would have messed with my whole reservation,  but they fixed it. I just viewed my reservation and it is back to being paid in full and my extra $100 OBC is applied. Now I need to figure out how to spend it!

My TA was great even though she was from one of those huge online sites. I will be sure to send a review and hoping someone at the company reads it or cares.

Thanks, again. I appreciate all the feedback from this community.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Anastas617 said:

Thanks again to the folks that listened and gave advice. I "should" have this resolved now.

I'll try to be concise: I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone with my TA who was going back and forth with Princess. I booked a guaranteed balcony (BF), but Princess claimed I upgraded to (BE) in January. This never happened. I asked why "amount due" appeared Friday if I did this in January. Princess also won't talk to me about reservation and my TA had no record of this.

After a couple more back and forths I sent my TA my confirmation at her request showing my total price, obc and that I had been assigned cabin C108 (BE category) at original price.

After an eternity,  the TA switched back to me and said that apparently the discrepancy occurred because I am a shareholder. I did send in my OBC request a few weeks ago, but never saw it added or received a response. I have no idea how or why that would have messed with my whole reservation,  but they fixed it. I just viewed my reservation and it is back to being paid in full and my extra $100 OBC is applied. Now I need to figure out how to spend it!

My TA was great even though she was from one of those huge online sites. I will be sure to send a review and hoping someone at the company reads it or cares.

Thanks, again. I appreciate all the feedback from this community.

Thanks for the follow up and a happy ending👍

Too many times here on CC someone writes about a issue and many people here give great suggestions on a solution and then radio silance from OP.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

After an eternity,  the TA switched back to me and said that apparently the discrepancy occurred because I am a shareholder. I did send in my OBC request a few weeks ago, but never saw it added or received a response. I have no idea how or why that would have messed with my whole reservation,  but they fixed it.

Nor do I.  I have NOT read a report about anyone's booking price changing due to applying the CCL Shareholder OBC.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Nor do I.  I have NOT read a report about anyone's booking price changing due to applying the CCL Shareholder OBC.

I know, right 🤣. My inquisitive nature wanted a better explanation,  but my pragmatic side decided to just be glad it's fixed and move on.

• Like 4

On 3/12/2023 at 7:25 PM, Anastas617 said:

So, cost of cruise went up by $365 and OBC went down by $200.

6 hours ago, Anastas617 said:

You did not say how the $365 price difference was resolved. Did Princess admit your original price should be honored?

You were short $200 in OBC and the $100 stockholder credit that was now applied still makes you short $100 OBC. Has that been resolved?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, caribill said:

So, cost of cruise went up by $365 and OBC went down by $200.

You did not say how the $365 price difference was resolved. Did Princess admit your original price should be honored?

You were short $200 in OBC and the $100 stockholder credit that was now applied still makes you short $100 OBC. Has that been resolved?

I originally had $250 OBC. $200 was removed and only $50 was showing. When they fixed my reservation they also applied the shareholder $100, so I now have $350 total OBC.

As far as how the price difference was resolved, I don't know. I have no clue why the total price changed and I have no clue what they did behind the scenes to fix it. I just know my TA said it was fixed, I pulled up my booking and everything was showing as it originally did (with the added $100 OBC). At that point, I took it as settled and did not feel the need to press the issue any further as much as I'd like to know how it happened in the first place.

6 minutes ago, Anastas617 said:

As far as how the price difference was resolved, I don't know. I have no clue why the total price changed and I have no clue what they did behind the scenes to fix it. I just know my TA said it was fixed,

Proving the value of having a good TA who is on your side working with Princess on your behalf.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 11:07 PM, Steelers36 said:

There can be a reason you use a TA. If you have problems a good TA will resolve and I do not have to deal with it.