Mediterranean Odyssey - feedback on included excursions?

GCBK10905

This is our first Viking cruise and first time to Europe.  Trying to determine if there are certain included (free) excursions that we definitely SHOULD or SHOULD NOT do?

We want to make this trip really awesome so willing to pay for some excursions if the included ones are so-so.  

We are in our mid-40s with no mobility issues.  Love great tour guides and seeing as much as we can. 

Our ports include:

Barcelona

Marseille

Monte Carlo

Florence/Pisa

Rome

Naples

Corfu

Dubrovnik

Split
Venice

thank you!

• Like 1

We are on this same cruise, but the reverse itinerary, leaving April 2.  This is also our 1st Viking and only 1 other Caribbean cruise.  If you are departing after we return, I will be happy to let you know which excursions we liked.  We are taking the included tours in Venice (walking tour Chioggia), Split, Dubrovnik and Corfu. Also, Monte Carlo.  In Naples, we are doing Pompeii and Sorrento.  We have been to Florence a couple of times, so don't feel it it worth the time it takes to get there, so decided on Lucca this time.  We are doing a private tour in Barcelona because the one we had signed up for had a time change to the afternoon.  We prefer to do morning tours and have the afternoon on our own. 

You will not regret visiting Lucca.Such a joy after the madness that can be Florence.

We climbed to the top of the tower that is often seen on photos with the trees growing out the top.

Leather goods much cheaper than in Florence.BAAA15A2-EF80-4A14-8E8C-D2FE91055207.thumb.jpeg.ea0b1f8e9dcdaf60ee5462567c7e95b2.jpeg

AE01D159-BDA6-4A3E-A30D-FE83FBA233C0.jpeg

Edited by sugarside
  • Like 4

Of the places you list, the included tours in Monte Carlo, Corfu and Split are ones that we recall as being some of the best we've done. They were mostly, if not completely, walking tours which generally seem to be better than the "panoramic" drive-bys. There is also a degree of luck involved as the tour guide can make a great deal of difference to one's enjoyment. However, we have never had a really bad guide with Viking and some have been brilliant.

The three places I mention also have direct walking access from the ship into the historic centre so with a bit of research on the web, you can create your own excursions. For instance, I made our own arrangements to visit the Motor Museum in Monte Carlo at the end of the included walking tour.

Although both the included and paid for excursions can be good, we find it is nice to break up the trip by doing our own thing from time to time. As you say you are quite mobile, you might want to do as we did in Dubrovnik and avoid the excursions altogether. We left the ship as soon as the gangway opened and took a 45 minute walk from the cruise port to the old town rather than waiting for the first shuttle bus to depart. We had purchased tickets to walk the walls online in advance. Though the city was already busy in the morning, we enjoyed exploring it at our own pace and got the free Viking shuttle back to the ship about lunchtime by which time the place was becoming really packed.

I feel sure you will enjoy the Viking experience and I think the itinerary you have chosen is a great introduction to southern Europe. It seems people rarely do just one Viking cruise so, hopefully, next time you will come and visit us in the northern part of the continent 🙂

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

here is also a degree of luck involved as the tour guide can make a great deal of difference to one's enjoyment.

Agreed!  Monte Carlo & Corfu guides were just so-so for us.  Split on the other hand, I'd rank him as the best guide we've ever had on our excursions.

• Like 1

What people enjoy about an excursion can certainly depend on personal preferences. I would highly recommend the Nice, Eze, and Monte Carlo all day optional excursion. It is a long day, with admittedly not enough time in any of the places you visit.  However, I absolutely loved Eze (especially the Jardin Exotique at the top of the climb) and the Flower Market in Nice was so charming. If you enjoy high end shopping or gambling and fancy cars, then Monte Carlo might be the more your style. 

We covered most of the same ports on a slightly different itinerary. I think you will really enjoy it.

I agree with the recommendations above about the Nice, Eze and MonteCarlo excursion. I would add the in Dubrovnik we did both the included tour and the walk the walls tour and highly recommend both. In Naples, I would consider Pompei a must if you've never doen it before. In Florence, we did the Florence and Pisa tour. It was during COVID, so we weren't able to go in some places, but it was still pretty good. In Rome, the Coliseum and Ancient Rome was fantastic. About the only major sight you don't get to is the Vatican (and that would take a full day on it's own). 

5 minutes ago, formernuke said:

I would add the in Dubrovnik we did both the included tour and the walk the walls tour and highly recommend both. 

We scheduled just the included tour in Dubrovnik, which was very good. We notified the guide that we would not be returning with the group and remained behind for several hours before taking the free Viking shuttle bus back to the ship. During the time on our own we bought our tickets to walk the wall and followed that up with a very nice lunch. Without a guide on the wall walk we missed having any commentary, but the views are the main thing so we didn't mind. 

11 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

During the time on our own we bought our tickets to walk the wall and followed that up with a very nice lunch

Did you have a long wait by buying your ticket at the wall?  We are planning on taking the included tour, and then walking the wall as well.  

We were on the Adriatic, Rome, & Greece cruise last May, so visited many of the ports you'll see. Our favorites:

Naples - if you've not seen Pompeii, it's every bit as amazing as I'd always heard; I'd gladly visit it again;

Split - had one of our best meals at a little cafe just off the main square (on the street behind that long government building); good shops there too, very nice people; one of the cafe owners gave me an espresso cup to take home.

Dubrovnik - I'm afraid of heights, but still did the wall walk around the Old Town, and it was fantastic; the views are spectacular, and the wall itself is really great to see; another of our best meals there, in the town, at a cafe called Proto, in an alley just off the main street.

If you're stopping in Sicily and are a fan of the Godfather movies as I am, the tour that takes you to some of the filming sites is really great. Not only are the little villages picturesque and the views of Mt. Etna great, but seeing the locations of some famous scenes from the movies was a treat for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, springtravel said:

Did you have a long wait by buying your ticket at the wall?  We are planning on taking the included tour, and then walking the wall as well.  

There was no line at all at the ticket kiosk. I can't promise that would always be true, as we were traveling in April and crowds were minimal. 

• Like 1

We did the included excursions in Split-very good-, Corfu-would not do that one again. Would just use the Viking shuttle. It drops you off right outside the fort and Old Town. We also did the included in Monaco-very good-, and Marseille. Would replace the Marseile excursion with one outside of the city if any appeal to you. Loved this cruise! Enjoy!

• Like 2