Packed lunch/Picnic

Techno123

We are doing a Norwegian Fjord cruise this summer and in several ports we intend to go hiking so would like to take a packed lunch/picnic with us. Not being a tightwad (even though it is Norway 😜) but we will likely be on the top of a mountain at lunchtime.

So after the preamble, where would be the best place to ask - Seabourn Square or room service or the colonnade? Likely to want sandwiches, fruit, piece of cake and a drink packaged up so it can go in a rucksack. Thank you for your advice.

Be sure it's allowed. At almost every port we have visited on the World Cruise so far, there has been a bio-security announcement that no food may be brought on shore, due to local regulations.

I've encouraged CD Ross to turn it into a rap, since we all know it by heart now .... 😎

• Like 2

Norway has the fairly normal food import regulations, no meat or meat products, no dairy. That said I would simply go down to Seabourn Square and grab some sandwiches and pastries, wrap them up yourself in some packed Cling Film and head ashore. Most likely answer if you ask the ship for a picnic box is “No”.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Am I alone here in wondering why you would suggest a fellow passenger knowingly flaunt the rules of a host country?

Quite.

I would suggest a good breakfast before you set off then take water with you.

When you come back (and it won't really be an expedition)

You'll be ready for a good dinner.

• Like 1

I wasn’t suggesting that the OP flaunt their hosts rules. There are many sandwiches and pastries available onboard that do not contain meat, meat products or dairy and are therefore perfectly OK to take ashore in Norway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjs217 said:

I have found that the tour provider will usually pass out some kind of packaged snack for those who have been trekking/hiking.

Thank you but doing a tour though - we are catching a bus for 2 and cycling to the 3rd. We'll just eat cake (and maybe a cucumber sandwich - actually, having checked the website fish stuffed olives are allowed so it could be a tuna and cucumber sandwich 😁).

We are hiking Sukkertoppen from Ålesund on the first day which is a quick one so I will ask the customs people if anything is acceptable and if not will do as Mr Luxury suggests and have a (very) large breakfast before we set off and bring some chocolate from home for emergency sugar boosting at the top 😜

1 hour ago, Techno123 said:

Thank you but doing a tour though - we are catching a bus for 2 and cycling to the 3rd. We'll just eat cake (and maybe a cucumber sandwich - actually, having checked the website fish stuffed olives are allowed so it could be a tuna and cucumber sandwich 😁).

We are hiking Sukkertoppen from Ålesund on the first day which is a quick one so I will ask the customs people if anything is acceptable and if not will do as Mr Luxury suggests and have a (very) large breakfast before we set off and bring some chocolate from home for emergency sugar boosting at the top 😜

Don't forget a flag to plant when you get to the top

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Don't forget a flag to plant when you get to the top

And take the Kendal mint cake 😜

I wonder if we will find any Welsh dragons up there 😁

Edited by Techno123

1 minute ago, Mr Luxury said:

And a St Bernard dog with the Brandy keg around its neck

Nah - don't do spirits but I'll take the dog - handy for pulling you up the steep bits (unless you have to carry it up scrambles in which case - no dog either 😜)

• Like 1

I highly doubt you will even see Customs when you disembark the ship.

Some other food ideas I have been considering (all perfectly legal) are ordering hard boiled eggs, bagels, cream cheese & smoked salmon for room service breakfast.

Norwegian petrol stations often have small stores attached. Nut and fruit bars are generally readily available and a whole host of other items.

If you take Mr. Luxury advice make sure you buy a Norwegian flag!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, conchyjoe said:

Some other food ideas I have been considering (all perfectly legal) are ordering hard boiled eggs, bagels, cream cheese & smoked salmon for room service breakfast.

Norwegian petrol stations often have small stores attached. Nut and fruit bars are generally readily available and a whole host of other items.

They're only going for the day 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

They're only going for the day 😀

I was just thinking this!

Personally, I am always relieved when I miss a meal when on an excursion!  I always remember doing a SB helicopter trip to the top of a hill/mountain in Durban, SA.  Helicopters land and the crew then proceed to set up tables and tablecloths and get out cool boxes full of food!

I thought I was getting away without eating dammit.  🤣

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

Personally, I am always relieved when I miss a meal when on an excursion!  I always remember doing a SB helicopter trip to the top of a hill/mountain in Durban, SA.  Helicopters land and the crew then proceed to set up tables and tablecloths and get out cool boxes full of food!

Go on as passengers come off as cargo

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

No excursion nibbles I'm afraid as they are DIY trips. In fairness we are climbing them and one of them is a 32km round trip bike ride away so might be slightly peckish. Just thought it would be nice to have a picnic at the top (although if the weather is anything like it was at the top of Snowdon last time we were up there it will be up and straight back down 😂😂)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, conchyjoe said:

Cream cheese is dairy 😜 Will definitely be a Welsh dragon we plant but then will have to bring it back or we might be accused of fly tipping

😂😂

image.jpeg.a9023307ba18f7b6448f82d99dd5282d.jpeg

Edited by Techno123

Seriously now, make sure you have this phone number stored in your cell phone.

+47 51 61 70 00

If you twist an ankle on those scrambles or something worse, this is the number you need. Alternative number is 113 but not sure if that will work with non Norwegian cell phones.

Have a great time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, conchyjoe said:

Seriously now, make sure you have this phone number stored in your cell phone.

+47 51 61 70 00

If you twist an ankle on those scrambles or something worse, this is the number you need. Alternative number is 113 but not sure if that will work with non Norwegian cell phones.

Have a great time.

Thank you - will do. We have planned our longer scrambles for the days the ship is in port until late and none of them are too remote so hopefully others around too but I will save that number 😁

2 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

Thank you - will do. We have planned our longer scrambles for the days the ship is in port until late and none of them are too remote so hopefully others around too but I will save that number 😁

With all of the food,flags and mountaineering equipment that you are taking are you using a donkey to help with the load. 

16 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

With all of the food,flags and mountaineering equipment that you are taking are you using a donkey to help with the load. 

Don't forget the oxygen. Are you offering to be our Sherpa 😜

Edited by Techno123