Ncl Air is two days enough??

njkate

56 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

And you might be JUST FINE. In fact, I set up an informal, i.e. non-scientific, poll recently. 85% of people who responded said they'd use the BOGO airfare again. A number of people posted comments saying that the savings were worth it and that their experience was just fine. When my wife and I did it, it was easy peasy, we had a nonstop flight from DCA to MIA and it was dirt cheap, on time and got us there with no delays at all. I offer this not to contradict @cruiseny4life but to say that, in all likelihood, you will be fine. The chances of things going wrong are outweighed by the chances that all will be well. 

I agree. I'm just giving her the standard line I give to those that book NCL BOGO with me. 

I'm using NCL BOGO Friday for the first time. I'm hoping to add to that 85% on your poll upon my return! But, I'm also half expecting to start a 20 hour drive from Syracuse to Miami on Friday. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

But, I'm also half expecting to start a 20 hour drive from Syracuse to Miami on Friday. 

*gulp* I hope not, 20 hours in a car? Yikes! Enjoy your cruise! As a frequent poster yourself, you probably know that on this site, complaints tend to outnumber compliments when it comes to NCL air and, pretty much anything. I like to give people some hope that the horror stories of missed flights and missed cruises aren't necessarily typical.

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

And you might be JUST FINE. In fact, I set up an informal, i.e. non-scientific, poll recently. 85% of people who responded said they'd use the BOGO airfare again. A number of people posted comments saying that the savings were worth it and that their experience was just fine. When my wife and I did it, it was easy peasy, we had a nonstop flight from DCA to MIA and it was dirt cheap, on time and got us there with no delays at all. I offer this not to contradict @cruiseny4life but to say that, in all likelihood, you will be fine. The chances of things going wrong are outweighed by the chances that all will be well. 

DCA to MIA, easy and if something went sideways the drive would not have been awful

Savannah to Anchorage is a bit more complicated

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I agree. I'm just giving her the standard line I give to those that book NCL BOGO with me. 

I'm using NCL BOGO Friday for the first time. I'm hoping to add to that 85% on your poll upon my return! But, I'm also half expecting to start a 20 hour drive from Syracuse to Miami on Friday. 

Thanks!! Looking at google flights, I'd never book through them just use them as a tool, the easiest flight would be SAV-EWR, then non stop EWR-ANC on United and at only $400 more then NCL air, I don't know where they are coming up with $1800 as I'm not finding that fare anywhere for one person. 

I'm leaning toward United, the pluses are no bag fees for me and I'm very familiar navigating EWR as it used to be my home airport

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, njkate said:

Thanks!! Looking at google flights, I'd never book through them just use them as a tool, the easiest flight would be SAV-EWR, then non stop EWR-ANC on United and at only $400 more then NCL air, I don't know where they are coming up with $1800 as I'm not finding that fare anywhere for one person. 

I'm leaning toward United, the pluses are no bag fees for me and I'm very familiar navigating EWR as it used to be my home airport

Same here, I love Google flights for planning purposes.

25 minutes ago, njkate said:

DCA to MIA, easy and if something went sideways the drive would not have been awful

Savannah to Anchorage is a bit more complicted

Absolutely! Individual circumstances vary greatly. We have 3 major airports here. We go to Hilton Head often and sometimes it's better to fly to SAV than HHH. On a related topic, there was someone trying to find flights to Orlando not long ago for a cruise departing Port Canaveral, I believe they lived near Chicago, and people were recommending Melbourne airport and others as alternatives. Where there's a will, there's a way! For instance, you could theoretically drive to Atlanta- OK it's 4 hours, but better than nothing, and Hartsfield Jackson was the busiest airport in the USA last time I heard.

39 minutes ago, njkate said:

In most cases NCL is quoting you a BOGO air figure long before they actually purchase the tickets, so I would not expect their quote to match to any going price at the time you book.  Their figure must be an estimate of what they think they can get you tickets for when the time comes, perhaps adjusted for some loss they are willing to absorb in order to entice you to cruise NCL and/or some profit they think they can take.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

In most cases NCL is quoting you a BOGO air figure long before they actually purchase the tickets, so I would not expect their quote to match to any going price at the time you book.  Their figure must be an estimate of what they think they can get you tickets for when the time comes, perhaps adjusted for some loss they are willing to absorb in order to entice you to cruise NCL and/or some profit they think they can take.

I've found that using sites like Google allows you to see over time what a typical flight would/should cost. That'll give you an idea about whether NCL's offer is better than what you'd probably find on your own.

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

You may be able to add the BOGO air up to 75 days before departure, with a deviation. This offer can also be ended at any time, so you're not guaranteed it'll be there tomorrow or 75 days before your cruise. 

For your two day deviation, remember that means NCL may book you on an overnight flight to Alaska which means you'll leave two days before departure, but arrive in Anchorage one day before departure. If anything goes wrong, well you know where that will take you.

Do NOT count on being able to add the BOGO up to 75 days before departure.  You can adjust the deviation if you already have the BOGO but adding the air promo after final payment date may be considered a change in your reservation - and there could be penalties.  YMMV

As to the deviation, it is based on your ARRIVAL, not when you leave.  So no, you don't arrive one day before departure if you request a 2-day deviation.  You will arrive sometime 2 days before, could be an overnight flight and you arrive early in the morning or it could be same day and you arrive later the same day.

5 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Do NOT count on being able to add the BOGO up to 75 days before departure.  You can adjust the deviation if you already have the BOGO but adding the air promo after final payment date may be considered a change in your reservation - and there could be penalties.  YMMV

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS I knew there was something I forgot. That damn penalty! 

Thank you!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Karaboudjan said:

Their prices will also not match because of the way they purchase tickets.  They purchase in blocks and get discounts. 

People often complain that the "crappy" flight they got cost less than the "good" flight - but they have no way of knowing what the airline is charging NCL. Different airlines/flights, different discounts.

23 hours ago, vacation44 said:

We are on the Jewel (no coupon!) on August 28th and are flying out on Saturday, August 26th--JFK to Anchorage.   We booked our own flights and it really was not much more to book first class tickets.  Yes, I spent a lot more than I would of liked, but I need the control.  We are then taking the train on cruise morning to Seaward.

That’s the cruise I plan on booking just waiting until next week as I’ll be on Dawn and want to see if booking on board has any additional discounts or perks. 

I will fly out Sat the 26th as well train departs at around 7 in am so are you staying two nights in anchorage? If so what hotel? I’ll stay I think one night, take the train Sunday morning and stay one night in Seward so I can explore

58 minutes ago, njkate said:

That’s the cruise I plan on booking just waiting until next week as I’ll be on Dawn and want to see if booking on board has any additional discounts or perks. 

I will fly out Sat the 26th as well train departs at around 7 in am so are you staying two nights in anchorage? If so what hotel? I’ll stay I think one night, take the train Sunday morning and stay one night in Seward so I can explore

I'd check on that before you do much planning.  According to the website, the last train is on Aug 25, so your only train options are to go to Seward earlier or take the NCL charter.

The NCL charter leaves at 1pm on 8/28 and you can use your excursion and latitudes credits.

Other than the standard within-category upgrade, there hasn't been much in the way of onboard discounts or perks for quite some time.  10% in September, nothing since.

46 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I'd check on that before you do much planning.  According to the website, the last train is on Aug 25, so your only train options are to go to Seward earlier or take the NCL charter.

The NCL charter leaves at 1pm on 8/28 and you can use your excursion and latitudes credits.

Other than the standard within-category upgrade, there hasn't been much in the way of onboard discounts or perks for quite some time.  10% in September, nothing since.

image.thumb.png.f4224ec2da4d0122b4e80553fab00d65.pngLast train is 09/25

Edited by njkate

7 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Same here, I love Google flights for planning purposes.

Absolutely! Individual circumstances vary greatly. We have 3 major airports here. We go to Hilton Head often and sometimes it's better to fly to SAV than HHH. On a related topic, there was someone trying to find flights to Orlando not long ago for a cruise departing Port Canaveral, I believe they lived near Chicago, and people were recommending Melbourne airport and others as alternatives. Where there's a will, there's a way! For instance, you could theoretically drive to Atlanta- OK it's 4 hours, but better than nothing, and Hartsfield Jackson was the busiest airport in the USA last time I heard.

Lol no way am I driving 4 hours to Atlanta and then have to face that ride home. I’m flying from Savannah be it  ncl air or booking on my own

Edited by njkate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, njkate said:

We are going to be on the Epic this Sunday and I am hoping to reprice the Jewel trip.  Still holding out hope to get that coupon.

Yes, we are staying two nights in Anchorage at most likely the Holiday Inn.  I have reservations for Comfort Inn Downtown too but we are partial to Holiday Inn based on our staus there.  Already have the train reserved for Monday morning.   I do like the idea of leaving for Seward on Sunday,  but for us, I think we need a full day in one place to recover from the long travel day on Saturday. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vacation44 said:

We are going to be on the Epic this Sunday and I am hoping to reprice the Jewel trip.  Still holding out hope to get that coupon.

Yes, we are staying two nights in Anchorage at most likely the Holiday Inn.  I have reservations for Comfort Inn Downtown too but we are partial to Holiday Inn based on our staus there.  Already have the train reserved for Monday morning.   I do like the idea of leaving for Seward on Sunday,  but for us, I think we need a full day in one place to recover from the long travel day on Saturday. 

I didn’t get the coupon nor did my son but we both did Alaska back in July on the Bliss.

The times in Port were so short on Bliss I didn’t get to see all I wanted. I wish this sailing had Sitka instead of Icy Point as I found Sitka more interesting 

My daughter is coming with me on this trip so I had her check her account and she had the two coupons so I’ll make her the primary so we can use the coupon.

Hope you can reprice 

Edited by njkate

17 minutes ago, njkate said:

I didn’t get the coupon nor did my son but we both did Alaska back in July on the Bliss.

The times in Port were so short on Bliss I didn’t get to see all I wanted. I wish this sailing had Sitka instead of Icy Point as I found Sitka more interesting 

My daughter is coming with me on this trip so I had her check her account and she had the two coupons so I’ll make her the primary so we can use the coupon.

Hope you can reprice 

I remember from the other thread that you did not receive a coupon, but then had your daughter check and she did have one.    For this trip, I already re-priced two times since booking, but I do check daily.

We have never done an Alaskan cruise (or been on a smaller ship) and picked this one for the longer port times.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, julig22 said:

@njkate, @vacation44

I created a roll call for the Aug 28 Jewel.

Thank you and I guess that means you are also on this sailing!   I recognize your name as someone who is always very knowledgeable with the re-pricing and FCC for price drop rules.  I have learned a lot from you so thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, njkate said:

Lol no way am I driving 4 hours to Atlanta and then have to face that ride home. I’m flying from Savannah be it  ncl air or booking on my own

Haha, I don't blame you for that. My point is that it's possible. To give you an example, when I flew to Spain in 2017, I took an Amtrak train from DC to Philadelphia because it was MUCH cheaper to fly from there to Madrid vs from DC. This fall we're sailing from Rome on NCL and are considering taking the train to NYC, flying from JFK to Milan and then taking the train to Rome. Why? $$$, lots of $$$. 💰 😉 In an ideal world, I'd have cheap flights with no layovers and not leaving at the crack of dawn, but that ain't the real world! 🤣

• Like 1