Can you debark early on Pride of America?

SimplyAlbert

We have had people disembark early from ports in US as well as foreign ports.  We have never had an issue with it.  Our son and his wife once flew home from a foreign port and returned 3 days later to another foreign port.  

And we love Kauai.  We stay at the Grand Hyatt.  Even if you are staying somewhere else it is a beautiful place to have an evening meal.  (Of course in Hawaii there are many places to have a beautiful evening meal.)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SimplyAlbert said:

Thanks everyone.  I'll follow-up with NCL.  I just wanted to see if anyone had tried and been told no or was able to do it before I got in touch with them.

I don't see how they could stop you from walking off the ship with your suitcases as long as your fully paid up

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

I don't see how they could stop you from walking off the ship with your suitcases as long as your fully paid up

I thought of that, but we cruise frequently and lately it has been mostly with NCL and I don't want to get put on a "naughty" list.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Laszlo said:

No penalty should apply on the PoA since the entire cruise is not only within the US, but within a single state, and the PoA is a US flagged ship.  As others have stated here, though, it would be best to check with NCL first.  OTOH, if your cruise were on a foreign flagged ship and were to originate and terminate in the US but also include foreign ports, you would be subject to the rules of the Passenger Vessel Service Act.  The PVSA specifies hefty penalties under certain circumstances for passengers who disembark at intermediate ports.  I spoke about this subject with an NCL Security Chief with whom we have sailed several times.  His department would be responsible for keeping up with the comings and goings of passengers, so I believe he is well versed in the PVSA.  He told us that NCL would pass on the penalty fee to any passenger who violates the PVSA rules.  There are exceptions, of course, such as medical emergencies, but simply walking off a ship governed by the PVSA without prior notice could certainly result in a penalty being charged.

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

No penalty should apply on the PoA since the entire cruise is not only within the US, but within a single state, and the PoA is a US flagged ship.  As others have stated here, though, it would be best to check with NCL first.  OTOH, if your cruise were on a foreign flagged ship and were to originate and terminate in the US but also include foreign ports, you would be subject to the rules of the Passenger Vessel Service Act.  The PVSA specifies hefty penalties under certain circumstances for passengers who disembark at intermediate ports.  I spoke about this subject with an NCL Security Chief with whom we have sailed several times.  His department would be responsible for keeping up with the comings and goings of passengers, so I believe he is well versed in the PVSA.  He told us that NCL would pass on the penalty fee to any passenger who violates the PVSA rules.  There are exceptions, of course, such as medical emergencies, but simply walking off a ship governed by the PVSA without prior notice could certainly result in a penalty being charged.

This is exactly what I want to avoid.  Once get closer and our plans are firmed up we're going to contact NCL and see what they say.  Worse case scenario is that we have to spend the last night on the ship and debark in Honolulu and then just take a puddle jumper back to Kauai.  I was just hoping to avoid this step (and save some money on the flight) if possible.