Scanning Passports

I was so frustrated trying to scan my passport while applying for a visa to Australia for an upcoming cruise in October.  I actually thought my iPhone 14 Pro was the problem and didn’t play nice with the Australia and NZ eTA apps.  On the second day of trying, my husband suggested turning on the phone’s flashlight.  Guess what - it worked!  Apparently, the light removed the glare and the camera was able to read the passport.

The next day, my niece tried to apply for the visa for her mom who will be on the cruise with us.  She was having the same issues.  She then remembered that I told her about the flashlight on the phone.  Sure enough, she had no problem scanning the passport.

Therefore, I just wanted to share this tip with you if you ever need to scan your passport and are having difficulty.

Bon Voyage.

Judy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, iuki said:

I was so frustrated trying to scan my passport while applying for a visa to Australia for an upcoming cruise in October.  I actually thought my iPhone 14 Pro was the problem and didn’t play nice with the Australia and NZ eTA apps.  On the second day of trying, my husband suggested turning on the phone’s flashlight.  Guess what - it worked!  Apparently, the light removed the glare and the camera was able to read the passport.

The next day, my niece tried to apply for the visa for her mom who will be on the cruise with us.  She was having the same issues.  She then remembered that I told her about the flashlight on the phone.  Sure enough, she had no problem scanning the passport.

Therefore, I just wanted to share this tip with you if you ever need to scan your passport and are having difficulty.

Bon Voyage.

Judy

Judy, great tip. I would suggest you post it on the Australia New Zealand Ports of Call board as most people on this board are Australian or New Zealanders and don't have to bother about visas for our respective countries -https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/forum/48-australia-amp-new-zealand

Edited by possum52
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, matamanoa said:

Thank you so much for the tip about turning off the flashlight before scanning our passports.  We couldn't figure out what the problem was but thanks to you, we have been successful.

Barb

I think the tip was to turn the flashlight on, not off.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We find that having a general light makes scanning or photographing something easier. That way there isn't a flare on the document (or maybe photograph) being copied.

14 hours ago, possum52 said:

A big Thank You to possum52. My DW and I are travelling to Oz & NZ in November, and we've been scouring the different threads for info for our upcoming trip. We have come across a number of posts by you in different threads that have provided excellent tips and advice for those asking, Thank You for taking the time and putting forth the effort. Greatly appreciated. Stay Safe & Healthy. 

• Like 3