Muster Drills

rnr4thatsme

I am probably the only person on this site that wishes they would bring the old way back. (Not where you stand outside sweltering, but in the meeting lounges). This new way does absolutely nothing to prepare you for an emergency. I understand it is a pain. However, if there was an emergency, I really do not want to be hindered , and create to the chaos because I am behind someone that was unpacking instead of watching an evacuation video. Yes, I watch the video every time because ech ship is different, and I want to know my responsibilities. 

Maybe require someone brand new to a cruise line be required to go to an in person muster. Each cruise line does things differently. Do I go to my stateroom and wait for directions like HAL, do I bring flotation devise from my room on RCI big ship vs small ship? Or is my muster station on my door really where I am supposed to go? (On my last Carnival Cruise, they changed where our station was for our room and failed to update the door instructions).

Call me a worrywart, but I believe in Better Safe than Sorry.

• Like 1

I suspect, and hope never to find out, that an emergency on any ship/cruise line would be total chaos not only with the passengers but with the crew not knowing what to do. It is all well and good having a physical muster drill but there are so many variables in a real situation that everything will be forgotten, or just not be practical.

This is all compounded by the size of the newer ships where it could take you anything up to 10 minutes, in normal conditions, to get to your cabin to retrieve whatever you are supposed to take with you.

1 hour ago, wannagonow123 said:

I am probably the only person on this site that wishes they would bring the old way back. (Not where you stand outside sweltering, but in the meeting lounges). This new way does absolutely nothing to prepare you for an emergency. I understand it is a pain. However, if there was an emergency, I really do not want to be hindered , and create to the chaos because I am behind someone that was unpacking instead of watching an evacuation video. Yes, I watch the video every time because ech ship is different, and I want to know my responsibilities. 

Maybe require someone brand new to a cruise line be required to go to an in person muster. Each cruise line does things differently. Do I go to my stateroom and wait for directions like HAL, do I bring flotation devise from my room on RCI big ship vs small ship? Or is my muster station on my door really where I am supposed to go? (On my last Carnival Cruise, they changed where our station was for our room and failed to update the door instructions).

Call me a worrywart, but I believe in Better Safe than Sorry.

My only concern with the in-person drill is we were crammed into an indoor space, and it was sweltering, not enough chairs.  I felt like I would pass out.  Not to mention, I'm not super germ-wary but any airborne virus would have had a heyday in there.  I agree it's important to prepare everyone, but I wish there was some better method than in the person drill where you are either on deck, sweating, or crammed like sardines into a lounge, also standing and sweating.

1 minute ago, david63 said:

I suspect, and hope never to find out, that an emergency on any ship/cruise line would be total chaos not only with the passengers but with the crew not knowing what to do. It is all well and good having a physical muster drill but there are so many variables in a real situation that everything will be forgotten, or just not be practical.

This is all compounded by the size of the newer ships where it could take you anything up to 10 minutes, in normal conditions, to get to your cabin to retrieve whatever you are supposed to take with you.

Agreed, many people in a real emergency, panic and I doubt one in person drill would change that.

Honestly, if you can't remember to bring your life jacket, how to put it on and where to go during an emergency, you have more problems than an in person drill would provide.

Possibly a talk with one of the crew members might help alleviate your concerns. 

1 hour ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Agreed, many people in a real emergency, panic and I doubt one in person drill would change that.

What the in person drill does is train the crew to handle all the passengers at once. This obviously does not happen in the new style e-muster.