Cruise Agent - When is it time to bail?

I've been trying to book a cruise and I have an agent at a large cruise travel agency. But she never picks up the phone and respond to emails. Is it rude if i find a different agent to help or go somewhere else? I've been waiting to book a balcony for a week and all the rooms are sadly gone right now waiting for a response to email. Each email takes 48 hours for response and no one answers the phone

I once many years ago had a similar experience (although not with cruises, but with all-inclusive resorts).  Very poor service, no responses, etc.  I dumped that company and found one on a chat group.  That independent agent has been absolutely marvelous!  Was the best thing I've done for travel.  If they won't make you happy, you have no obligation, move on!

-gregma

• 1 year later...
On 3/15/2023 at 8:46 PM, jameslee said:

I've been trying to book a cruise and I have an agent at a large cruise travel agency. But she never picks up the phone and respond to emails. Is it rude if i find a different agent to help or go somewhere else? I've been waiting to book a balcony for a week and all the rooms are sadly gone right now waiting for a response to email. Each email takes 48 hours for response and no one answers the phone

Drop them like a hot rock. No one cares about your vacation more than you. Book directly with the cruiseline.

We book first with the cruise line, get what WE want, and then transfer to our TA.

There has never been a time since we have done this that there has been an urgent need, but we do find that our TA does prioritize requests by urgeny.

Personally, if the request was urgent, I would start the email subject line with "URGENT - TIME SENSITIVE" and then also call and leave a voice mail.  If I did not hear back within 24 hours from that I would move the booking.

The problem is that taking a booking back from a TA is not an easy thing - with Viking Cruises anyway.  We did this once and had to get the TA to relinquish the booking in writing.  So, if you cannot get them to respond to an email for an urgent time sensitive need, how are you going to get them to respond to giving back the booking?