One way car rental from port

alpineapa

Hi everyone,

we’ve never been to

Barcelona but we are avid cruisers. After the

cruise we want to go to Paris for 5 nights and fly out to Paris back to Canada.

We’d like to get to Paris as soon as possible. Looks like it’s 9hrs drive, 7hrs train or 2 hrs flight but the benefit of driving is we could do 7am walkoff (we just do carryon) and hit the road vs everything else is as schedule. A 2 hrs flight seems very appealing. If we only have carry ons snd our boarding passed do we just need to go through security ie sinxe EU to EU no customs?

If I do walk off (we are suite), carryon, EU to EU, what is the earliest I could take a flight? I know lots of posts on this but they don’t specify carry on and Barcelona to paris….

oh and original question. If we do car rental do you know any company at port (or port delivery) that allows one way to Paris?

we are traveling in june on symphony of seas

thanks!!

I saw there is a 950am flight

If I walk off at 7am (suite) with carry on luggage and I purchase fast track for airport, seems like this would be possible?

let’s say I get to airport by 8am then I go through fast track line at security (can’t imagine that taking more than an hour), then 9 am post security for 950 flight to Paris?

I wouldn’t do this for my international flight to Canada but I assume there are tons of flights to Paris if we miss the 950

One-way car rental between countries - even EU countries - is fraught and expensive. And many agencies don't permit it.

And do you really want a car in Paris?

I'll re-phrase that - would you want a car in New York? or London? or Rome?

Ignoring the one-way country-to-country difficulties, renting a car makes sense for a leisurely several-day road trip taking in, say, Bordeaux, the Loire Valley, Le Mans, Chartres and Versailles and dropping the car off on arrival in (or close to) Paris. 

But as simply a means of transport from Barcelona to (and in) Paris it just doesn't make sense.

For tickets bought well in advance air fares on no-frills carriers are cheap, and with no checked luggage there's no add-on cost. And altho airports aren't close to central Paris, public transport from airports is good, and you'll have no heavy bags to carry.

But arrange a flight that you're unlikely to miss - cheap fares aren't transferable so if you miss it  those tickets are trash and you'll have to pay very high - multiply the fare by 3 or 4 or more - walk-up fares for another flight.

I see choosing air (or possibly train) rather than a rented car as a no-brainer.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for the great information! We will book a flight. Either the 950am or 1240pm with Air France. I’ll see if there is a fare type that is easily changeable ie either book 1240 and if early take 950 if not full or book 950 and if miss , hope 1240 is not full

25 minutes ago, alpineapa said:

Thanks for the great information! We will book a flight. Either the 950am or 1240pm with Air France. I’ll see if there is a fare type that is easily changeable ie either book 1240 and if early take 950 if not full or book 950 and if miss , hope 1240 is not full

I really,  really wouldn't book the 9:50. Far too risky.  And if you miss it, and the 12:40 is full, what is your plan B ? 

On a random weekday in late June, Skyscanner is showing 8 direct 2-hour flights into CDG or Orly between 10.20am and 1.55pm, with prices from €37 to €212. 

On that date AirFrance is showing as €237 for 9.50am but only €87 for the 12.40pm flight.

https://www.skyscanner.net/transport/flights/bcn/pari/230628/?adults=1&adultsv2=1&cabinclass=economy&children=0&childrenv2=&inboundaltsenabled=false&infants=0&outboundaltsenabled=false&preferdirects=true&ref=home&rtn=0

Some flights will have add-ons - you need to do a dummy booking to get the total cost but without luggage that should be comparatively minor.

Budget flights tend to be a bit cramped, but no big deal for just 2-hours

JB 🙂