Shore Excursion from Malaga to Marbella and Puerto Banus

tonto524

For several years, I worked for a Spanish tour operator (in the US) that handled the Costa del Sol, and I'd love to take this excursion if there's a chance we will drive along the coast and not on some highway.  We've toured Malaga, so looking for something different and I wanted to see the coast and Marbella.  Any thoughts?? Thanks.

The drive along the coast road to Marbella (not on the Autopista) is a traffic nightmare.  The area is completely overbuilt and full of apartment buildings.  

Have you been to Granada to see the Alhambra?  That would be far better that going to Marbella and Puerto Banus.

If you want a drive along the shore, it is better to go East to Nerja and maybe also see the Nerja caves.

• Like 1

How about the light railway along the coast from central Malaga as far as Fuengirola.  Very frequent trains and easy to use. you could get off and on at several places along the coast.  but it is true that the whole coast along that stretch is  very built up.  

14 hours ago, tonto524 said:

Työskentelin useita vuosia espanjalaisen matkanjärjestäjän palveluksessa (Yhdysvalloissa), joka hoiti Costa del Solin, ja haluaisin mielelläni lähteä tälle retkelle, jos on mahdollisuus ajaa pitkin rannikkoa emmekä jollain moottoritiellä. Olemme kiertäneet Malagassa, joten etsimme jotain erilaista ja halusin nähdä rannikon ja Marbellan. Ajatuksia?? Kiitos.

Hola...Having spent half my life in Málaga, my suggestion is that from near the port of Málaga (Muelle Heredia) take a bus along the coast to Fuengirola. From Fuengirola another bus up the mountains to the white village of Mijas. From there to Torremolinos, from where the last bus to Málaga (Muelle Heredia). And all this really cheaply for only about 10 euros, and at the same time you can see the coast and the mountains and you can stop at every destination as you like.

As others have commented, the coast is wall-to-wall apartments and the coast is slow bumper-to-bumper traffic. The mainly fast through road behind the conurbations (A-7) and the toll road behind that (AP-7) are quite boring.

I can understand the wish to see places you've dealt with in the past, but there's no other great reason to see Marbella or Puerto Banus.

I concur with lucas that train to Fuengirols and bus up to Mijas Pueblo is an economical & pretty easy way to see a bit of coast and a bit of "Spain". and if you're cutting it fine on time or just want to see a little bit more  you could taka a taxi from the rank in the main square in Mijas back to the port (20 miles / 40  minutes)

NB The name Mijas has been purloined by developments some distance from the town eg Mijas Costa, Mijas Golf, Mijas Jardin. You want Mijas Pueblo.

Or if you want to make a long day of it, rent a car & head across country & thro white villages to Ronda (check out the bullring & the ancient bridge over a ravine which divides the town), down to the coast (glorious views) to the AP-7and zip back to Malaga on the AP-7 (dropping into Marbella & Puerto Banus, just a couple of miles off-route if you wish & have time)

Very interesting & scenic, total about 135 miles, 4 hours driving.

https://goo.gl/maps/5FouxMgCw2AieQQj9

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

I'm very appreciative of everyone's advice and insight!  Not really up to a self-drive tour or public transportation anymore, but I'd kind of forgotten about Ronda and Mijas, so maybe we will do something in one of them.  Again, thanks so much !

Linda

Not really up to a self-drive tour or public transportation anymore,

I would have suggesed Ronda but the distance from Malaga is quite a bit longer.

Even for someone "not really up to" public transportation, the train to Fuengirola followed by public bus to Mijas Pueblo is a popular and easy journey. And buses between Fuengirola and Mijas Pueblo are quite frequent, and the bus and train stations in Fuengirola are close to each other and to the Tourist Info Office..Or compromise and use the train to go to and back from Fuengirola, and maybe spluge for a taxi up to and back from Mijas Pueblo.  Or consider staying in Fuengirola instead as that would be even easier, involving only a shortish train journey.

Despite some drawbacks  it has a beautiful promenade, marina port and miles of beach, perfect for strolling or sitting, many restaurants, also a biopark, a little tourist train which runs about town, some pretty squares, markets on specific days and would be a pleasant enough place to spend a few hours although I think Mijas would be nicer overall.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1