Glacier Bay in May

Figg1437

Can anyone tell me about your experience maybe share photos of Glacier Bay in May?  In the past we did Tracy Arm in May and seeing the fjord and the icebergs was amazing but we didn’t see much of the glacier due to too much ice in the water.   How does Glacier Bay compare?  How much of the Glacier and icebergs and scenery do you see?  I loved the aqua water and all the mountains and icebergs- this time in glacier bay will I likely see those plus maybe get close to the glacier? I’ve heard that glacier Bay is more open and the ships get close easier?   I’d really like to see calving 

Edited by Figg1437

It would be rare that ice is an issue in Glacier Bay. You’ll sit in front of Margerie Glacier which is good for calving most of the time. Depending on when in May you’d be there, early in the month the snow is usually down to the waterline near the glaciers. By mid to the end of May the snow usually has retreated up the mountains. From Margerie you’ll usually head past Lamplugh glacier and towards Jaw Point where you will get a view of Johns Hopkins Glacier from a distance. The Johns Hopkins inlet is closed from May1 through June 30 due to seal mating and pupping.

• Like 1

You will see less ice bergs in the water at Glacier Bay. It is scenic but not as twisty as Tracy Arm. Access to Glacier Bay is usually pretty good in May. It is usually a beautiful day all day as far as scenery. Park Rangers will come on the ship and do information sessions.

• Like 1