Help me plan with hotels etc. please

Hey so coming to London 8/2-8/6 then headed to Southhampton on 6th to get a cruise. We are doing all typical tourist stuff so will be walking alot but I have bad hip  so might not do as much as i want. Anyways what hotel and area is best, we don't really care about the room too much, mostly hope the bed is not hard as a rock and having room for our 3 luggage because of cruise. Has anyone stayed at any of these? I've looked at map but sometimes deceiving on distance. So what is easier to get to from Heathrow and also going to Southampton either from Waterloo train or Victoria coach. Lol we are on the cheaper side also but don't want to be regretting where we stay. Also paying more to be able to cancel.1st 2 are on one side of river, second 2 is on the other side but maybe not bad walking over the bridge? But would be easier to get to Waterloo with luggage? Thanks 

The Resident in Victoria- $1391.99

Hub by Premier Inn Westminster Abby, Bigger room w/breakfast -$966.71/ worried we won't have room for the luggage, fine for us personally

Premier Inn London Couty Hall w/breakfast -$1312.05

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge - $1576

There is no way on earth I would pay $1300 for 4 nights in a Premier Inn! They’re absolutely fine for what they are - basic, clean and consistent - but not at that price!

If you’re in London for four nights don’t confine yourself to Waterloo - you can easily jump in a cab to get there on departure morning. 

For instance for under $1000 I’m seeing the Hilton London Hyde Park which is right above a tube station (Queensway) so easily accessible for sightseeing as well as on several bus routes, both city buses and HOHO, and in a nice part of town. That will be far nicer than a Premier Inn, for less money!

(If you do look at other Premier Inns, and there are lots, avoid the “Hub” ones - they have tiny rooms.)

Edited by gumshoe958

3 hours ago, chismrules said:

Hey so coming to London 8/2-8/6 ...

14 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

There is no way on earth I would pay $1300 for 4 nights in a Premier Inn! They’re absolutely fine for what they are - basic, clean and consistent - but not at that price!

I wonder if there's a problem with dates. I think that the OP means 2 August to 6 August, but over here those dates look like 8 February to 8 June. That length of stay might well cost $1,300 in a Premier Inn.

A moment's search on the Premier Inn website (which is, according to the ads I hear, the only place to book them) shows prices from £700 for the County Hall location and from £570 for the Westminster Abbey bigger room.

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

I wonder if there's a problem with dates. I think that the OP means 2 August to 6 August, but over here those dates look like 8 February to 8 June. That length of stay might well cost $1,300 in a Premier Inn.

A moment's search on the Premier Inn website (which is, according to the ads I hear, the only place to book them) shows prices from £700 for the County Hall location and from £570 for the Westminster Abbey bigger room.

No confusion with dates I fear: 4 nights at the Premier Inn County Hall, 2-6 Aug in a Plus Room with breakfast for 2, Flex rate does indeed price out at £1079 which is $1319. Which, for a Premier Inn, is exorbitant.

I strongly advise the OP to look elsewhere in London where prices are more reasonable.

https://www.booking.com/ has the Marriott County Hall at £2,601 - which makes a Premier Inn County Hall premier-plus room at £1079 or a standard room from £826 look like bargains

Ditto Park Plaza County Hall at £1088 (Park Plaza in a nearby modern high-rise building, not the historic County Hall)

The problem with all those hotels is the time of year and perhaps a relatively late booking - in November a premier-plus room at P.I. County Hall is from £906 and a standard room from £767 for four nights.

JB 🙂

8 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Hey yes it is Aug. 2-6, also my quote for premier inn county hall from their site is the larger room with flex to be able to cancel. And it is 1079 lb.which is $1312.05 US. I have to pay the larger amount to be able to cancel because parents are not doing well and who knows.

5 hours ago, chismrules said:

Hey yes it is Aug. 2-6, also my quote for premier inn county hall from their site is the larger room with flex to be able to cancel. And it is 1079 lb.which is $1312.05 US. I have to pay the larger amount to be able to cancel because parents are not doing well and who knows.

Don’t do it. There are much nicer hotels in nice areas of London for similar or even cheaper prices. 

Have a look at the Mercure in Bloomsbury (part of Sofitel group), seems to be around £700 for those dates. I've stayed there 3 times before and it's a great location, 15-20 mins walk to Covent Garden. It's not super fancy, but it's nice and better than a Premier Inn. 

• 1 month later...

Wherever you choose I think the proximity of a Tube Station is key.  Ideally a tube station served by multiple lines; Baker Street, Kings Cross/St Panc. for example. Kings Cross can be a bit daunting if your mobility is an issue.  Some of the lines are a bit of a walk.  Baker St is my favorite station in London for its beauty and history.  There are others served by multiple lines.  Consider if the station is step free which means an elevator service to get to the platforms

I use google maps to search for hotels and see their reviews.  There is a wide array of choice around Baker Street.  Dont overlook B&B and non-chain.  Google maps can also show you what lines serve the local station.  

for your get away day you can use a cab to the train station.  You can also easily get a cab from Paddington on arrival day if your the Elizabeth Line to get in to town from the airport.  You may find that much easier.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 11:17 PM, chismrules said:

Have you looked into Travel Insurance?  We had "cancel for any reason".  Unfortunately, we did have to cancel due to my getting ill a week before we were to travel to London a few years ago.  I got every penny back, including all of the prepaid tickets for our various excursions.  Since I was ill, I did have to provide my doctors notes.  We don't leave home without this insurance.  Medical Travel Insurance is now our priority due to our ages.

This past September (2022), my husband needed emergency surgery while we were on a NE/Canada cruise.  We wound up in Halifax, Canada, where he had surgery.    Everything was covered once we provided all of the bills and medical papers from hospital.