My Time Dining.......but not really?

rg123

On 3/29/2023 at 4:18 AM, rg123 said:

Traditional seating typically is  5 or 5:30 these days with MT starting at 6:30 I believe or more often 6:45

Wow.  

Just...wow.  

On 3/29/2023 at 11:50 AM, LobsterStalker said:

The simple reason that NCL 'Freestyle' dining works (and works well) is because there whole dining system is geared that way ! 

Royal on the other hand wants to compete with NCL on this issue , but is unwilling to drop traditional dining altogether...

No, they're trying to compete with Carnival (and some others) more than Norwegian, since Carnival has had traditional and YTD in place for many years now.    NCL is ALL "freestyle," and it's safe to say that RCI will not be going THAT route.    (I AM curious as to how Norwegian schedules their tables, assuming that they do so dynamically.)  

12 hours ago, sowhat said:

Table for 2 on Wonder of the Seas

Point Blur_Oct262022_192839.jpg

We had the same arrangement on the Freedom back in February, and I laughed when I saw it.  "Hey, this reminds me of some of the 2-tops we've had on Carnival!  I thought Royal was better than that, at least!"  

It wasn't all bad.  This was a music charter with 60 performing bands, and we were sandwiched between members of two of them...with two more catty-corner from us.  That was kinda cool.  

4 hours ago, Pellaz said:

No, they're trying to compete with Carnival (and some others) more than Norwegian, since Carnival has had traditional and YTD in place for many years now. 

Royal's MTD was in place for our first cruise in 2013. 

11 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Wow.  

Just...wow.  

No, they're trying to compete with Carnival (and some others) more than Norwegian, since Carnival has had traditional and YTD in place for many years now.    NCL is ALL "freestyle," and it's safe to say that RCI will not be going THAT route.    (I AM curious as to how Norwegian schedules their tables, assuming that they do so dynamically.)  

We had the same arrangement on the Freedom back in February, and I laughed when I saw it.  "Hey, this reminds me of some of the 2-tops we've had on Carnival!  I thought Royal was better than that, at least!"  

It wasn't all bad.  This was a music charter with 60 performing bands, and we were sandwiched between members of two of them...with two more catty-corner from us.  That was kinda cool.  

Firstly ,  Norwegian , in my estimation at least , would be RCI's most direct competition . There are a LOT of cruisers who prefer their Freestyle alternative rather than traditional, especially among the younger family demographic. It seems to me that RCI in an attempt to capture more of that demographic wants to have a non traditional option available . And to my original point , without going all in on it , it seemed to me that implementing it without going all in (trying to run too many systems at once ) is proving to not work as well.

That being said , I am learning on here that it has worked much better in the past , so my theory may be off somewhat . I would be very interested to hear insights from those who have seen it work well , as to what they changed and how they have managed to screw this up as ROYALly as they have , Because it is in a pathetic state at present !

Cheers

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Wow.  

Just...wow.  

Also forgot to add my follow up question...

What makes you think that is safe to say ? At this point nothing would surprise me . I could certainly even see them consider changing to a Freestyle concept on certain ships that cater more to the family demographic , and reverting the rest back to Traditional. Nothing is out of the question

Cheers

45 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

would be very interested to hear insights from those who have seen it work well , as to what they changed and how they have managed to screw this up as ROYALly as they have , Because it is in a pathetic state at present !

I don't know what they've changed, but on our 2013 cruise, there were two floors dedicated to traditional and one floor dedicated to MTD. They were all open the same hours.  If there were empty tables on the traditional floors, they would take someone waiting to be seated in MTD and send them down there.  Seemed pretty simple.  Why/how they're doing things now I don't know/understand.

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

Firstly ,  Norwegian , in my estimation at least , would be RCI's most direct competition . There are a LOT of cruisers who prefer their Freestyle alternative rather than traditional, especially among the younger family demographic. It seems to me that RCI in an attempt to capture more of that demographic wants to have a non traditional option available . And to my original point , without going all in on it , it seemed to me that implementing it without going all in (trying to run too many systems at once ) is proving to not work as well.

That being said , I am learning on here that it has worked much better in the past , so my theory may be off somewhat . I would be very interested to hear insights from those who have seen it work well , as to what they changed and how they have managed to screw this up as ROYALly as they have , Because it is in a pathetic state at present !

Cheers

Don't know how many cruises or lines that you've cruised on, but I have cruised on all of the major mainstream cruise lines, been doing it for over 35 years and have over 50 cruises under my belt.

Carnival, just like RCI decided to hop on the freestyle bandwagon and implement their version of the NCL anytime dining with their own version, yet at the same time offer the traditional early/late seating option for the traditional cruiser that likes to have a set time/table/staff.

On Carnival all you need to do is check it on the app or at the MDR desk and request your table.  You'll then be given an approximate time as to when your table will be ready.  No need to stand in a line for possibly 30-60 minutes.  And they start this process at 530 each evening and 500 on the two "formal" nights.  With Royal starting things at 645 and utilizing the old fashioned stand in line method, they are taking a step backwards and not being innovative at all.  It really is pathetic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

With Royal starting things at 645 and utilizing the old fashioned stand in line method, they are taking a step backwards and not being innovative at all.  It really is pathetic. 

Again, ROYAL DIDN'T USE TO DO IT THIS WAY.  So, someone needs to find out exactly what/why they changed (Did they increase the amount of traditional seating?  Did they have staff cutbacks so they couldn't support MTD? Did more cruisers request traditional?).

I still think you treat part of the dining room (an entire floor, 1/2 a floor, 1/4 floor, whatever) as MTD.  The rest is traditional.  I'd like to know what the logistics are now for it. 

I wonder if they had so many people requesting early dining, they decided to dedicate all floors for early, and as such, they don't have guaranteed tables available for MTD.  That's why MTD doesn't start until 6:45.  Their hope is the early traditional folks get cleared out and some of those tables can become MTD.  

47 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I don't know what they've changed, but on our 2013 cruise, there were two floors dedicated to traditional and one floor dedicated to MTD. They were all open the same hours.  If there were empty tables on the traditional floors, they would take someone waiting to be seated in MTD and send them down there.  Seemed pretty simple.  Why/how they're doing things now I don't know/understand.

That is the problem, there is not enough seating for those that want traditional.  As you stated on ships with three levels they do not have enough early seating if one level is used for MTD.  All three levels are for early traditional. After first seating traditional is finished one level is then turned over for MTD 6:45 until after 9pm. Talking to head waiter on our last cruise he stated that almost every cruise many who want traditional end up with MTD  as there is not room for all who want traditional.  Head waiter said only 30% of cruiser want MTD. Royal needs to scrap MTD and go back to full traditional. Head waiter also said they do not have this problem on X which is a sister cruise line.  Some like to eat quick, get out and enjoy the ship. Others like us look at dining as part of the cruise experience, we love a large table, late dining and a long 2 hour dinner. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Don't know how many cruises or lines that you've cruised on, but I have cruised on all of the major mainstream cruise lines, been doing it for over 35 years and have over 50 cruises under my belt.

Carnival, just like RCI decided to hop on the freestyle bandwagon and implement their version of the NCL anytime dining with their own version, yet at the same time offer the traditional early/late seating option for the traditional cruiser that likes to have a set time/table/staff.

On Carnival all you need to do is check it on the app or at the MDR desk and request your table.  You'll then be given an approximate time as to when your table will be ready.  No need to stand in a line for possibly 30-60 minutes.  And they start this process at 530 each evening and 500 on the two "formal" nights.  With Royal starting things at 645 and utilizing the old fashioned stand in line method, they are taking a step backwards and not being innovative at all.  It really is pathetic. 

Not quite understanding why that question was directed to me or how your cruising history relates to anything you are quoting me on , unless I am misreading something we are in agreement..

RCI's current dining structure is an Embarrassment  !

Cheers

I hope they don’t go back to full traditional.  Tried it on our very first cruise and only ate there one night.  We have used MTD for our last 4 cruises with no problems, none.  Clearly I am an outlier but that has been my experience.  I don’t care for dinner at 5 or at 8.  MTD gives me my sweet spot of 6:30-7.  

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

That is the problem, there is not enough seating for those that want traditional.  As you stated on ships with three levels they do not have enough early seating if one level is used for MTD.  All three levels are for early traditional. After first seating traditional is finished one level is then turned over for MTD 6:45 until after 9pm. Talking to head waiter on our last cruise he stated that almost every cruise many who want traditional end up with MTD  as there is not room for all who want traditional.  Head waiter said only 30% of cruiser want MTD. Royal needs to scrap MTD and go back to full traditional. Head waiter also said they do not have this problem on X which is a sister cruise line.  Some like to eat quick, get out and enjoy the ship. Others like us look at dining as part of the cruise experience, we love a large table, late dining and a long 2 hour dinner. 

If 30% want MTD, that would be one floor.  (figure the bottom floor has a little more seats because you have the entire center section).  

Does anyone know... how many does the MDR seat (either by floor or entirety)?  Is it 50% of the berths?

47 minutes ago, poocher said:

I hope they don’t go back to full traditional.  Tried it on our very first cruise and only ate there one night.  We have used MTD for our last 4 cruises with no problems, none.  Clearly I am an outlier but that has been my experience.  I don’t care for dinner at 5 or at 8.  MTD gives me my sweet spot of 6:30-7.  

For anyone that falls into your category , clearly you will do ok with it .... That is assuming you continue to be fortunate enough to get those times. At the very least they need to change the name to something believable... My time dining is a fairy tale and does not exist . Maybe change to TTD

Their Time Dining ... just a thought.

If RCI could pull it off as I experienced NCL's Freestyle ... I would choose it in a heartbeat . As it truly was as advertised . Picked a time each day when we felt like eating  ( and it could be different time each night ) , requested same waiter , and never waited more than 5 minutes or so ! The flexibility and freedom was Awesome ! 

>>> Start listening RCI !!

Cheers

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

If 30% want MTD, that would be one floor.  (figure the bottom floor has a little more seats because you have the entire center section).  

Does anyone know... how many does the MDR seat (either by floor or entirety)?  Is it 50% of the berths?

I would assume it would be considerably less than 50% as they know many people choose other options 

4 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

I would assume it would be considerably less than 50% as they know many people choose other options 

Not sure how accurate this is (https://www.travelagewest.com/Cruise/Royal-Caribbean-International/Oasis-of-the-Seas), but it lists the Opus Dining Room for Oasis as seating 3056 and passengers of 6780.  

So the dining room should be able to seat 45% of guests.  

• Thanks 1

What's probably happening (as others have indicated) is SO many cruisers are choosing "Early Traditional", they're filling all the tables on all three levels, meaning they can't start MTD until 645, THEN some people with Early Traditional aren't showing up, but MTD can't start seating until they know those tables are empty... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Not sure how accurate this is (https://www.travelagewest.com/Cruise/Royal-Caribbean-International/Oasis-of-the-Seas), but it lists the Opus Dining Room for Oasis as seating 3056 and passengers of 6780.  

So the dining room should be able to seat 45% of guests.  

...Now you have got me doing math 

So I just did some quick figuring and come up to over 600 total capacity for specialty restaurants . I rarely got to them but I hear people all the time say they can't get reservations , so assuming they run full. (Correct me if I'm wrong?) . Assume also that they would run at a minimum 2 seatings per evening , that's 1200 per night that do not go to MDR at all each night ... Add in what has to be at a minimum in the course of the evening another 500 ( and I feel that is low ) , maybe 800 that go to WJ , Grab a slice or 8 at Sorrentos , or are too drunk to care ... That is 1700 pax that do not attend MDR at all each evening . subtract from total number of pax leaves you with at most 4700-5000 total that want to eat at MDR. Overwhelming Majority are looking for early obviously .  3056 covers  60- 65 % of who's left and there are still herds of unhappy diners wanting in...? So what are we really lookin at 70-75% who really want Early . The numbers didn't make this any less confusing... 

P.S. I like numbers lol... sorry if it looks like gibberish and feel free to correct me if I'm off base 

Cheers

1 minute ago, LobsterStalker said:

So I just did some quick figuring and come up to over 600 total capacity for specialty restaurants . I rarely got to them but I hear people all the time say they can't get reservations , so assuming they run full. (Correct me if I'm wrong?) . Assume also that they would run at a minimum 2 seatings per evening , that's 1200 per night that do not go to MDR at all each night ... Add in what has to be at a minimum in the course of the evening another 500 ( and I feel that is low ) , maybe 800 that go to WJ , Grab a slice or 8 at Sorrentos , or are too drunk to care ... That is 1700 pax that do not attend MDR at all each evening . subtract from total number of pax leaves you with at most 4700-5000 total that want to eat at MDR. Overwhelming Majority are looking for early obviously .  3056 covers  60- 65 % of who's left and there are still herds of unhappy diners wanting in...? So what are we really lookin at 70-75% who really want Early . The numbers didn't make this any less confusing... 

P.S. I like numbers lol... sorry if it looks like gibberish and feel free to correct me if I'm off base 

Cheers

I agree it's a numbers game.  And I'd say if the dining room can take 6100 in two seatings, that leaves ~600 for OTHER (doesn't have to be specialty) dining.  Surely Royal has math on how many eat at WJ, specialty, and "other".  

I wonder if they're trying to make "everyone" happy, instead of capping traditional early at 60-75% of capacity, they're trying to accommodate as many as possible.  However, that's backfiring.  MTD now can't start until 6:45, even though there are probably empty tables every night (but not necessarily the same ones) in traditional.  

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

Cheers

You are not factoring in that apparently 90% of MT diners want to eat at 6:45. We were on Navigator a few months ago, we had late dining with a table next to the balcony. Looking down two decks to the MTD room we could see it was virtually empty every night at 8pm. What stood out was the lack of space between two tops, what a joke. Waiter said there were people lining up at 6pm waiting for the 6:45 opening. 

I have a group of 9 people (family cruise) lined up for Alaska in June.  I booked early dining. My mother and I were on a cruise on VOS the end of January.  We booked early dining, thank goodness!  When we would leave at 7:00 there was often a long, long line for MTD.  As in from the stand by the front door to just shy of Studio B. Last March on JOS, the earliest MTD was at 7:45. Thank goodness we were in a suite and had access to the concierge lounge. Eating after 8:00 doesn’t work for me.  Needless to say, missed out on shows, etc