Ashdod Port to Old City Jerusalem

Topowest

What's the most easy reliable way for 4 people to get from the Ashdod port to old city Jerusalem on our own on a Sunday, with 13 hours in port, bus, taxi, etc?

We're not totally opposed to booking an excursion but would prefer to explore the old city on our own instead of a big group so we can take our time and see everything. 

Edited by Topowest

I know about the private tours, what I want to know is anyone's experience with taxi or bus service from Ashdod to old city Jerusalem and back. Is the bus service easy and reliable and is it easy to find a taxi that will make the hour drive there and back?

On 3/20/2023 at 6:38 PM, Topowest said:

Is the bus service easy and reliable and is it easy to find a taxi that will make the hour drive there and back?

From Port of Ashdod to Jerusalem is the line 5 bus  which costs ₪ 21 and takes about 90 minutes. Easy and reliable is questionable. To get from Port of Ashdod to Jerusalem with a  taxi takes 50 min and costs approximately ₪ 400. If a taxi driver were to wait around for you to return there will be cost added. Your best bet for a reliable, easy and cost effective ride is to a hired driver and  divide the cost among your 4 person party.

On 3/23/2023 at 4:24 PM, mozfoz said:

From Port of Ashdod to Jerusalem is the line 5 bus  which costs ₪ 21 and takes about 90 minutes. Easy and reliable is questionable. To get from Port of Ashdod to Jerusalem with a  taxi takes 50 min and costs approximately ₪ 400. If a taxi driver were to wait around for you to return there will be cost added. Your best bet for a reliable, easy and cost effective ride is to a hired driver and  divide the cost among your 4 person party.

I would hire a taxi. Actually, you can use Google maps very effectively in the old City. I would recommend asking the taxi to take you to the top of the Mount of Olives, walk down, go through Kidron Valley to the City of David, have lunch and then walk through the old city on your own. We did that in one day. If you have time, go to the Ecco Homo Convent to see the Roman streets of Jesus' time. The streets you walk on, like the via Delarosa, are not the streets of Jesus' time, but medieval construction. Get authentic! Did this in Nov 2022. I believe the app for taxis in Israel is Gett. 

Edited by Markanddonna

• 1 month later...

We were in Ashdod in Nov 2022. We took the shuttle out of the port (which they made wait to leave until after the ship's tour buses so be aware). It dropped us off in Ashdod just down the street from the bus station. The bus left right on time and moved right along into Jerusalem. We spent the day and then retraced our steps. The bus from Jerusalem to Ashdod also left right on time. I had not seen such on time buses in my life! We had purchased the Rav-Kav cards at the airport when we flew into Tel Aviv and we used those on the buses and then the light rail in Jerusalem. There is an office at the bus station in Ashdod where you can buy tickets though as a lady from our port shuttle did that.