Celebrity at a crossroads

JLS07

On 3/20/2023 at 9:04 AM, CrazyTrain2 said:

I like where Virgin Voyages are positioned - No Kids, No drink packages, Limited Smoking areas, All specialty dining, no pandering to children and a healthy fitness oriented vibe.  My only downside to VV is the limited itineraries since they only have 4 ships. 

We are on a Celebrity cruise in about a month just for a wing it cruise and to test out how viable an inside cabin experience is for us (Normally balcony folks).

VV also has shorter cruises that in theory would cater to the party hard crowd and that makes me leery of this line. I would like to try them for a TransAtlantic because I feel that crowd may be more my speed.

• Like 6

On 3/20/2023 at 10:07 AM, cgolf1 said:

I guess I have a unique perspective because we sail inside rooms and even out to 2025 the prices are still very affordable.

You are so correct. I have been booking GTY inside cabins with the All Included package lately and then using Move Up to go wherever that may lead depending on what I want to spend. We have been able to have All Included cruises for less than $100 a day per person. Now, if you are looking to book the Retreat....WOW, the prices have skyrocketed. We did the Retreat on Apex last year and it was really nice but no worth $500 a day for a Sky Suite.

6 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

VV also has shorter cruises that in theory would cater to the party hard crowd and that makes me leery of this line. I would like to try them for a TransAtlantic because I feel that crowd may be more my speed.

In the Carib, yes...In the Med/Europe it's 7 nighters...However, their itineraries seems to have more sea days than other lines; skimmed a few 7 nighters and it's only 4 ports

• Like 1

I like O very much. But they don’t have many seven day Caribbean cruises when I want to sail. I find Celebrity to be a good option. The kids don’t really bother me because I don’t spend much time around the pools. Food is not as good but it is sufficient. And price is 50 percent less. 

Life is all about trade offs. 

• Like 3

I have said it before, Celebrity is one water slide away from becoming Carnival.  We have a cruise booked in August on Reflection and will decide then if Celebrity still meets our expectations.  After our Equinox cruise last month, I have my doubts. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, TMaine said:

I have said it before, Celebrity is one water slide away from becoming Carnival.  We have a cruise booked in August on Reflection and will decide then if Celebrity still meets our expectations.  After our Equinox cruise last month, I have my doubts. 

Is there a cruise line that can meet your expectations at the same price as Celebrity?

42 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Is there a cruise line that can meet your expectations at the same price as Celebrity?

I don't know but if there isn't, we will choose other vacation options.  It is more about experience than price so if we have a mediocre experience, was it worth our time and money?   

12 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

We were just on an 8-day Valiant Lady cruise in the Caribbean and it was a great experience. Crew were friendly and service was great, passengers were a good mix of people and didn't feel like a 'party hard' crowd. (There was plenty of partying but contained to the appropriate spaces or times). If you want to try a VV cruise but avoid the shorter ones this is also a good choice.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

When's the last time you sailed?  For awhile after restart they had supply issues, but in our cruises within the past year (and there were many) that has never been an issue.  Granted, I think their selections, for example of premium package red wine, are very limited but we haven't had any supply issues in over a year.

I do think kids would prefer Royal over Celebrity hands down.  They see the commercials on tv all the time and they board Celebrity and wonder where the water slides and rock climbing walls are.  That said, they do have great kids programs and kids still can have a good time.  They are definitely marketing towards the 30-40ish year olds with money to spend and often those folks want to travel as a family.  So like it or not, they have to provide a decent experience for kids to make that happen.  I've seen a lot of kids on my recent cruises (meaning a lot compared to the Celebrity of old).  I think more and more families are cruising these days and they need to accommodate that. 

And I actually disagree that they want older cruisers.  I am one of those and I don't feel wanted at all.  Why?  The marketing is all geared towards younger people.  The new ships are designed for younger people.  The benefits of highest level Captains Club are deteriorating.  The prices are exorbitant now which drastically impacts those of us who want to cruise multiple times a year.  I am a very loyal Celebrity cruiser and will continue to sail when I can afford it as I love the onboard experience.  But, for example, this year I am cruising 8 times as I have done the last few years.  Next year I have 2 cruises booked because prices are so high.  

We sailed Beyond in January of this year (2023) which I would suggest is recent.

I can only say you were lucky.  We DID have issues with drink selection and will say it is not limited to Celebrity.  We sailed HAL in March of this year (2023) and they too had limited selections of beers IMHO.  HAL had draft taps promoting a good IPA, but when asking for it, they were out. That was not isolated.  On Beyond, we were drinking more wine and two,(2) cabs were out by day 3.  They did get or find some by day 5 of our 7 day cruise.

As to older cruisers, I disagree with you.  I too am one of them.  They for sure want them on TA sailings and the longer cruises that many younger cruisers can't take as often due to, lets say, having to work. I do agree they promote their advertising with younger people, but who doesn't.   

As to families traveling on Celebrity, I can only respond with my view/exposure onboard ship.  On our last couple of cruises on Celebrity, there have been very few kids and most of the kids were of ages not yet in school.  I cannot comment on the quality of kids program as we have never had one of our kids with us on Celebrity.  I would suggest that families on Celebrity chose itinerary and/or some other aspect over kids programs, but that is just my view based on the high number of families on Royal vs Celebrity.

We are Elite+ and agree that CC has been undermined and gutted and with the next level over 2000 points away, CC membership has a low appeal compared to other aspects of a cruise.  On HAL's Rotterdam in March, we loved the nightly music and absent some other factor would choose HAL's Rotterdam over Celebrity E class if entertainment was the only consideration.  Factors such as itinerary which have always been high are higher now that there are not other aspects weighing in as much.  We also were NOT impressed with IV cabins.  

I would hope you have great sailing in the future and as I know and suspect you do too, that we all can have dramatically different experiences on the same cruise depending on what is important to us and what we do/interact with on that particular cruise.

Edited by shipshape sam
  • Like 6

33 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

We are Elite+ and agree that CC has been undermined and gutted and with the next level over 2000 points away, CC membership has a low appeal compared to other aspects of a cruise.  On HAL's Rotterdam in March, we loved the nightly music and absent some other factor would choose HAL's Rotterdam over Celebrity E class if entertainment was the only consideration.  Factors such as itinerary which have always been high are higher now that there are not other aspects weighing in as much.  We also were NOT impressed with IV cabins.  

So well said! This describes us exactly. We, too, are Elite + (which no longer means anything).  DH and I took our first cruise on the Rotterdam last year. The ship, itinerary, entertainment, and food were outstanding. We enjoyed it so much that we're sailing on her again this June and have a B2B booked for next year. We still have a few X cruises booked for this year and next, but we've definitely found ourselves adding the Rotterdam to our rotation. The lack of regular balcony cabins on the E class (we were one and done with the IV) is what made us look at the Rotterdam. 

33 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shipshape sam said:

We sailed Beyond in January of this year (2023) which I would suggest is recent.

I can only say you were lucky.  We DID have issues with drink selection and will say it is not limited to Celebrity.  We sailed HAL in March of this year (2023) and they too had limited selections of beers IMHO.  HAL had draft taps promoting a good IPA, but when asking for it, they were out. That was not isolated.  On Beyond, we were drinking more wine and two,(2) cabs were out by day 3.  They did get or find some by day 5 of our 7 day cruise.

As to older cruisers, I disagree with you.  I too am one of them.  They for sure want them on TA sailings and the longer cruises that many younger cruisers can't take as often due to, lets say, having to work. I do agree they promote their advertising with younger people, but who doesn't.   

As to families traveling on Celebrity, I can only respond with my view/exposure onboard ship.  On our last couple of cruises on Celebrity, there have been very few kids and most of the kids were of ages not yet in school.  I cannot comment on the quality of kids program as we have never had one of our kids with us on Celebrity.  I would suggest that families on Celebrity chose itinerary and/or some other aspect over kids programs, but that is just my view based on the high number of families on Royal vs Celebrity.

I would hope you have great sailing in the future and as I know and suspect you do too, that we all can have dramatically different experiences on the same cruise depending on what is important to us and what we do/interact with on that particular cruise.

39 minutes ago, MustBCruzn said:

So well said! This describes us exactly. We, too, are Elite + (which no longer means anything).  DH and I took our first cruise on the Rotterdam last year. The ship, itinerary, entertainment, and food were outstanding. We enjoyed it so much that we're sailing on her again this June and have a B2B booked for next year. We still have a few X cruises booked for this year and next, but we've definitely found ourselves adding the Rotterdam to our rotation. The lack of regular balcony cabins on the E class (we were one and done with the IV) is what made us look at the Rotterdam. 

I'll make it three.  We're E+ on Celebrity and sail in balcony cabins and we're likely done with Celebrity after a cruise this Fall, primarily due to the IV balcony cabins and less interesting itineraries on the M and S class ships.  We tried the Rotterdam in February and we really enjoyed that class of ship and several more cruises booked on the Pinnacle class ships.  I think we'll see a lot of former Celebrity cruisers on Pinnacle class ships.

• Like 3

On 5/3/2023 at 10:15 AM, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'll make it three.  We're E+ on Celebrity and sail in balcony cabins and we're likely done with Celebrity after a cruise this Fall, primarily due to the IV balcony cabins and less interesting itineraries on the M and S class ships.  We tried the Rotterdam in February and we really enjoyed that class of ship and several more cruises booked on the Pinnacle class ships.  I think we'll see a lot of former Celebrity cruisers on Pinnacle class ships.

Rotterdam checks off a lot of my boxes.  The 2 older/other Pinnacle class ships do not have the Rock Roll area as I understand it.  Will be interesting to see Hal's next new build.  I Still like al bacio, the walking track, Oceanview cafe on E class Celebrity ships.  I still like S class and hate what Celebrity did to the M class ships and do not see me sailing them again.  They added lots of additional cabins and eliminated lots of public space to do it.  Did not like IV's and it looks like Celebrity is committed to IV's for balconies (standard verandas)

• Like 3

We are on Beyond at the moment. 

I know it might be first day craziness, but I’m finding the drinks service to be lacking, couldn’t get served in Oceanview or Sunset, did the bar trip in both myself, which I didn’t mind, but I do remember service being better previously. 

When I did get a server to take an order in he took 25 mins, came back with a bottle of beer with a cap on which he popped off with a knife and had a Perrier for my wife with no glass and no ice. 

Found the previous cabin occupants clothes in a drawer in the stateroom also. Handed those to the room attendant, that’s a first for us too. 

Will see how it goes for the rest of the cruise, I know the first day isn’t normal. Booked a future cruise today when we boarded for next year, hope we don’t regret that. 

Love the look and style of Beyond and really like the infinite veranda cabin we are in, so can’t fault the surroundings. Hopefully what we experienced today was glitches. 

Edited by AidenL

So had a great meal with super service last night in Prime Rib. 

Really good service in the MDR for breakfast. 

Had the same issue with drinks service in Oceanview today, took 25 minutes for drinks after sitting, we were finished the food, and even then forgot to bring water. Sea day at 2pm admittedly so a lot of demand. For me therefore, the Oceanview service is the weakest link at the moment. 

Edited by AidenL
Spelling

1 minute ago, mayleeman said:

Doesn’t Oceanview have self-serve water?

Yeah I guess it does, but we had ordered sparkling bottles to go. I get the principle of self service in a buffet, but I guess I’d expect if there is someone taking drinks orders that they would get them in a reasonable amount of time, and also,bring everything asked for?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AidenL said:

I’d expect if there is someone taking drinks orders that they would get them in a reasonable amount of time, and also,bring everything asked for?

Absolutely reasonable expectation. We waited that long in Tuscan on Reflection when we were the first table seated and there were only 3 tables occupied. But one table was 10 people and I think the waiter and sommelier wanted a bigger tip.

There is a saying "You can get back to the place, but not the time".

Done a few cruises that I would list as the same and they were each different even when going to the same ports of call on same ship.  We have had ports cancel, had new ports assigned and I think once you you get pass the disappointment, I hope there are new experiences to be had.

Wishing everyone a great next cruise.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 2:44 PM, goofysmom99 said:

Well, I did it.  Finally looked at the grass on the other side of Celebrity's fence and booked 14-night Regent Mariner for my 2024 TA out of Barcelona and will be jettisoning the Silhouette TA.  Wanted something other than MDR, but could NOT justify X's pricing for me, even with my zenith benefits.  Silhouette:  S2 $783/night ($850 OBC); A2 $450/night (lousy extra wifi, $50 OBC).  Regent Mariner:  Cat G $478/night ($150 OBC, $1000 OBC as new cruiser).  Regent includes everything, excursions, laundry, 24/7 room service, bigger cabin, etc.  So for $28/night more than A2, my decision sort of became a "which hand has the rock." 🤚👊  I'm really excited to try Regent and wish it weren't so far off; if I didn't have so much already invested in Nov Constellation TA (last of the FCCs), I'd be looking for something else this year, too.

Edit:  Regent's deposit is refundable, less $100 admin fee (the $100 admin fee is converted to a FCC).  Not like X's new nonrefundable deposit policy (fortunately, I book onboard so will only be out $100 for cancelling the Silhouette).

I'm impressed and tempted

• Like 2

On 5/8/2023 at 8:23 AM, AidenL said:

Yeah I guess it does, but we had ordered sparkling bottles to go. I get the principle of self service in a buffet, but I guess I’d expect if there is someone taking drinks orders that they would get them in a reasonable amount of time, and also,bring everything asked for?

In my recent experience, the only way to get a drink in a timely fashion in the OCV is to sit in the sections across from the bar. There are always servers in that area and usually help you pretty quickly.