The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday March 21st, 2023

StLouisCruisers

22 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

We are slowly getting organized for our upcoming 150th Anniversary cruise on the Rotterdam - less than 2 weeks away! I bought a Tux! 

HAL has recently posted some 2025 cruises that look interesting to us and I plan to book one during the upcoming cruise. Trying to decide between - 

35 day Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas on the Koningsdam, RT San Diego, February 15, 2025

and

43 day New Zealand & South Pacific Crossing Collector on the Westerdam, Auckland to Vancouver, March 16, 2025

Both have their pluses and minuses.

We had the Tahiti one booked in 2021 which was cancelled due to Covid and HAL selling the "old" Rotterdam. We also had it booked on the Koningsdam for February 2024 but switched to an east-bound transatlantic/Canary Islands cruise instead. So this would be the third attempt! Flights to and from the ship would certainly be easier. And Feb/Mar seems like a prime time to be out of the cold and snow of Minnesota...

The New Zealand cruise seems like a more interesting itinerary, but would involve a long flight to Auckland. But we could break it up by flying to Hawaii, spending a few days with Mitzi's brother, and then fly on to Auckland. That is starting to make for a pretty long trip though and might impinge on getting to the Canadian cottage in the spring. We would also probably prefer the Koningsdam over the Westerdam...

Decisions, decisions - "Oh Waily-Waily" (to quote Terry Pratchett and Nac Mac Feegles of the Wee Free Men)

I know from the past the flights are very long but we loved our New Zealand / Australia cruise and the Transpacific . I am also hoping to return to New Zealand at least one more time ! 

Liked your option to fly to Hawaii first and break down the real long flight in two ! 

Also from experience in Asia pre -Covid lockdown spending 13 days at sea roaming around there was nothing wrong with that fine ship .

Good luck Fred deciding ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Overhead Fred, I second that about the New Zealand transpacific.  Ours was from San Diego.  After weighing options on flight times, we decided to buck up and make the long flight home from Auckland.  Air New Zealand premium economy was excellent.  The Hilton in Auckland is so close you can just drag your suitcase next door.  We rented a car and enjoyed several days in New Zealand.  Easy driving through beautiful countryside.

This was one of our favorite cruises.  It was varied, interesting, and offered lovely scenes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1