Refundable deposits question

Ideb

Hi all!

I couldn't find any answers to this in the search engine, even though I tried.

In the past I've booked "fun saver" or whatever is the lowest price cruise fair listed but I'm looking at a cruise that is over a year away and would like to book a refundable deposit in case something comes up before then. I looked through the list on the booking engine and one called a "March sale" or something close to that says that it is refundable except there may be cancellation penalties. Could someone tell me how much the cancellation penalty might be, for example would it be a percentage of my deposit or all of it or a flat rate? I'm looking at a newer ship so no $50 deposits. It will be about $400 total for 4 people.

I've found more options for refundable deposits without cancelation fees through travel agents. Sometimes the travel agent refundable deposits are cheaper fares than carnivals nonrefundable deposit fares (when you include ta perks).

In terms of the exact fare you are looking at, it'll say in the terms and conditions, you'll just have to find it. 

1 hour ago, Ideb said:

Could someone tell me how much the cancellation penalty might be,

It is typically $50 pp if cancelling before full payment is due.  The rate code details should state the specifics.

1 hour ago, Ideb said:

I'm looking at a newer ship so no $50 deposits. It will be about $400 total for 4 people.

So if you have a deposit of $100pp, you will get back $50pp.

If you book on of the special $50 deposit deals, you lose the whole thing, of course.

There may be rates that provide for a full refund of deposit, but you will find those rates are more expensive and may not be worth the peace of mind just for what amounts to $200 if you have to cancel.

8 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Another aspect of this is if you plan on purchasing travel insurance.  If you are getting travel insurance anyway, then as long as you cancel for a covered reason you would get back any non-refundable deposit or fee.

Thanks for all the answers. I could live with $50 pp cancellation fee if worse came to worse. If I purchase the insurance through carnival, would they refund my deposit or let me move the cruise to another date?

33 minutes ago, Ideb said:

Thanks for all the answers. I could live with $50 pp cancellation fee if worse came to worse. If I purchase the insurance through carnival, would they refund my deposit or let me move the cruise to another date?

I've never purchased the carnival insurance. There are a lot of options, though. If you cancel for a covered reason, or you choose cancel for any reason, they'll cover any forfeited deposit.  

A fully refundable deposit means you will get all of your deposit back if you cancel before the beginning of the cancellation period. 

Terms from Carnival 

"Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person and based on double occupancy. Offer is capacity controlled and is not combinable with any other discount or promotional offer. Rates may vary by ship, stateroom type and sail date. Change fees are not assessed outside of the final payment window. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. Carnival reserves the right to withdraw and/or change offer at any time without prior notice. Offer is for the cruise fare only and does not include Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses. Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses range from $74.49 - $476.32, and are assessed on a per guest basis for all guests according to the itinerary. Offer is applicable in cabin assignment categories only. Refundable deposit subject to cancellation penalties. Offer bookings made as part of a group will include amenities. Offer is applicable on sailings through April 2025. Offer is applicable on new bookings made between March 1, 2023 – March 31, 2023. Please request rate code PB4. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas & Panama.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx   Defines cancellation period.