Tampa & Dali

QuattroRomeo

We are cruising in Feb 2024 out of Tampa, and afterward would like to visit the Dali Museum in St Petersburg before flying home out of Tampa airport. We don't know the area and would appreciate suggestions for an affordable hotel to stay in that would be convenient for the museum and airport. Are there airport shuttle services anywhere? I can see on the map that it is a fair distance to the airport from St Pete.  Thanks for any suggestions to accomplish this!

20 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

We are cruising in Feb 2024 out of Tampa, and afterward would like to visit the Dali Museum in St Petersburg before flying home out of Tampa airport. We don't know the area and would appreciate suggestions for an affordable hotel to stay in that would be convenient for the museum and airport. Are there airport shuttle services anywhere? I can see on the map that it is a fair distance to the airport from St Pete.  Thanks for any suggestions to accomplish this!

Like you mentioned...neither are really close to each other....about a 30 plus minute ride apart. I would look into maybe staying somewhere in the Westshore area as it's right off the causeway to go to St Pete and a very close 5-10 minutes to the airport.

Fantastic museum by the way and well worth the visit.

Edited by bajathree

The Hilton Bayfront Hotel in St Petersburg is a few blocks from the Dali Museum in St Pete. Easy walking distance. Both are on the free shuttle tram which works its way around downtown St Pete.

On a visit last Fall, my wife and I stayed at the Hollander Hotel, a1920s vintage hotel with a great pool. It's directly across the street from the Museum of the American Arts & Crafts Movement, which was our primary target.  The tram passes between these two locations and links them to the Dali and the waterfront.

We drove over from Florida's east coast, so I have no comments on the access to the airport.

Thanks to you both for the tips. I'll do some researching and figure out something!

We actually saw the Dali collection there at the old museum, back in the 80s, while visiting relatives in Clearwater. Really looking forward to seeing the new building! The only other thing I remember from that trip is a visit to Columbia restaurant in Ybor City. That was an experience!

p.s. we visited the Dali museum in Figueres twice and his house in Port Lligat on Med.  cruises..loved those trips!

8 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Thanks to you both for the tips. I'll do some researching and figure out something!

We actually saw the Dali collection there at the old museum, back in the 80s, while visiting relatives in Clearwater. Really looking forward to seeing the new building! The only other thing I remember from that trip is a visit to Columbia restaurant in Ybor City. That was an experience!

p.s. we visited the Dali museum in Figueres twice and his house in Port Lligat on Med.  cruises..loved those trips!

Columbia now has a smaller venue called Columbia Cafe right near the port in Channelside inside the Tampa History Center...same great food. 

Also when in St Pete you may want to check out the Chihuly Collection...worth a visit.

13 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Thanks again! 

I seem to recall seeing some glass sculptures in I think it was Paradise Island in Nassau; do you know if that is Chihuly's work?

Yes, his work is in the Atlantis resort.

• Thanks 1

Agree on the Chihuly collection in St Pete. It is not on the free downtown shuttle, but it is on the shuttle over to St Pete Beach.

The displays are exceptionally well lighted, with detailed explanations and some works in progress photography

Dale Chihuly also designed the lovely overhead carpet of flowers at the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas

• Thanks 1