Theme nights or special events?

Ken Pearce

I want to book our specialty dining, but don't want to miss out if there are good theme nights in the main dining room. How can I find out what the plans are on a given ship/itinerary? (Volendam, Alaska, August 9, 2023 in this case.)

1 hour ago, Ken Pearce said:

I want to book our specialty dining, but don't want to miss out if there are good theme nights in the main dining room. How can I find out what the plans are on a given ship/itinerary? (Volendam, Alaska, August 9, 2023 in this case.)

HAL does not do theme nights.  HAL has Gala Nights (actually smart casual dress) twice per seven day cruise.  They will be the same for every Volendam cruise for the Alaska season.  If someone aboard the Volendam earlier than your cruise posts a live thread here, ask them what nights are Gala Nights.

6 hours ago, Ken Pearce said:

Grand Voyages will have theme nights, but not in the MDR.   Shorter voyages will have themes elsewhere if they coincide with a major USA holiday - St Patty's day, Valentine's etc, Halloween etc-  They also usually have an Orange Party one night on many cruises..

They sometimes have a culinary council menu - which is a different menu, but not really a theme.

For your August Sailing - you will probably only see an Orange Night Party.

Grand Voyages also have formal nights in addition to "Dressy" nights.

The term "Gala nights" has been replaced by "Dressy Nights" 

"

Q: Why the change from “Gala Attire” To “Dressy”?

A: To many, the term Gala was either confusing or misleading, implying a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) which has never been a requirement. We felt the term Dressy was a bit less stuffy and a bit more festive, which is what a dressy evening should be: a chance to get dressed up and enjoy the evening while still being comfortable."

HERE is the link to the latest FAQ

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

They used to do "theme" nights - like Pirate's Nights, a  Dutch Night or an Indonesian Night with special hats and instruments., now only the occasional Orange Night.  On the smaller, older ships on longer voyages only. 

Dressy Night is festive - don't let anyone sell it short. It is special and many participate. There was even an informal group "Tuxedo Junction" that celebrated still wearing black tie. Maybe 10% still do. 

• Like 1