Is it crazy to book a spa treatment at 1:30 on embarkation day?

Quick question — is it crazy to book a massage at 1:30 on embarkation day?

Details:

My wife and I are on a cruise this winter, for the first time in fifteen years.

A P&O cruise out of Sydney. 

My wife was enticed by the $50 cheaper for a 75min massage on embarkation day.

But she doesn't want to book at 3 or 4:30 b/c we don't want to miss the Sydney harbour sail away (4pm). 

And she doesn't want to book late b/c of dinner.

Is it insane to book at 1:30?

How long is sail away (like, would 4:30 not miss anything, or be the heart of the action)?

Complication:

We get off our plane at 11:30am, and head to the cruise. We have early embarkation. 

But I have no idea how long the process will realistically take. 

Are we cutting it fine trying to fit everything in?

(Yes, I know the strong recommend is to fly in the night before, but that option isn't possible for us)

Asked this question elsewhere, but figured you folks are a bit more savvy.

What do you reckon?

Thanks for the help.

7 minutes ago, thebaehrs said:

Quick question — is it crazy to book a massage at 1:30 on embarkation day?

Details:

My wife and I are on a cruise this winter, for the first time in fifteen years.

A P&O cruise out of Sydney. 

My wife was enticed by the $50 cheaper for a 75min massage on embarkation day.

But she doesn't want to book at 3 or 4:30 b/c we don't want to miss the Sydney harbour sail away (4pm). 

And she doesn't want to book late b/c of dinner.

Is it insane to book at 1:30?

How long is sail away (like, would 4:30 not miss anything, or be the heart of the action)?

Complication:

We get off our plane at 11:30am, and head to the cruise. We have early embarkation. 

But I have no idea how long the process will realistically take. 

Are we cutting it fine trying to fit everything in?

(Yes, I know the strong recommend is to fly in the night before, but that option isn't possible for us)

Asked this question elsewhere, but figured you folks are a bit more savvy.

What do you reckon?

Thanks for the help.

I'm intrigued to know where you're flying in from. Seems like you're cutting it fine; how long will it take to get luggage off the plane or are you hand-luggage only? I'd allow half an hour to get luggage as well a half an hour to drive to the OPT in a cab. Assuming your flight isn't delayed you might make it. Maybe it depends on which day of the week it is to. Would expect a Saturday to be much heavier traffic and take longer. 

You might get on board in time but I wouldn't book anything that couldn't be refunded by the ship if you're unable to get on board in time for the massage.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Seems a stressful way to board a cruise!  Appointment for 3 pm seems more realistic.  

How does sail away work. If it’s a 4pm departure, what time are we actually pushing off 

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Seems a stressful way to board a cruise!  Appointment for 3 pm seems more realistic.  

I agree with your comment. 3pm would be realistic but 1.30 is a bit early when you don't get off your plane until 11.30. Even if this is a domestic flight, I can't see you getting to check in until around 1pm. This is peak time for check in so it could take an hour.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I'm intrigued to know where you're flying in from. Seems like you're cutting it fine; how long will it take to get luggage off the plane or are you hand-luggage only? I'd allow half an hour to get luggage as well a half an hour to drive to the OPT in a cab. Assuming your flight isn't delayed you might make it. Maybe it depends on which day of the week it is to. Would expect a Saturday to be much heavier traffic and take longer. 

You might get on board in time but I wouldn't book anything that couldn't be refunded by the ship if you're unable to get on board in time for the massage.

It’s a domestic flight. And we were thinking of taking the train 

Just now, thebaehrs said:

How does sail away work. If it’s a 4pm departure, what time are we actually pushing off 

If they specify 4pm, it will be close to that time. They can't delay too long after that because of the peak hour commuter ferry traffic on the harbour. If they miss their timeslot, they have to wait until 6.30 or so.

5 minutes ago, thebaehrs said:

It’s a domestic flight. And we were thinking of taking the train 

If your flight was an hour or more earlier, I would say you would be OK. I'm an optimist, but I wouldn't book a spa appointment for 1.30 with the time of your flight.

10 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with your comment. 3pm would be realistic but 1.30 is a bit early when you don't get off your plane until 11.30. Even if this is a domestic flight, I can't see you getting to check in until around 1pm. This is peak time for check in so it could take an hour.

So one hour to board is normal?

Just now, thebaehrs said:

So one hour to board is normal?

It can be at peak time. Check in and embarkation often starts a bit earlier than the advertised time (unless the ship has to be deep-cleaned because of COVID). People who can board early often get through check-in and on board in 15 minutes. However, your flight arrival time won't allow this. By the time you reach the terminal to check-in there will be a  lot of people and queues will have built up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

If they specify 4pm, it will be close to that time. They can't delay too long after that because of the peak hour commuter ferry traffic on the harbour. If they miss their timeslot, they have to wait until 6.30 or so.

How long does sail away take? Like if we’re departing 4, will we have passed all the iconic elements on the harbour by 4:30 - safe enough to book then?

27 minutes ago, thebaehrs said:

How long does sail away take? Like if we’re departing 4, will we have passed all the iconic elements on the harbour by 4:30 - safe enough to book then?

If the ship gets away promptly at 4pm, then by 4.30 you would have passed all the major sights in the Harbour. But, if the ship is delayed 20 or 30 minutes then you are in trouble. earlier I was trying to find out exactly when the curfew is for cruise ships in the harbour. It could be from 4.30 to 6pm, but I am not sure. I couldn't easily find an answer. Someone here might know. If you could find this out, you would know by what time the ship has to be out of the busy area of the harbour.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

If the ship gets away promptly at 4pm, then by 4.30 you would have passed all the major sights in the Harbour. But, if the ship is delayed 20 or 30 minutes then you are in trouble. earlier I was trying to find out exactly when the curfew is for cruise ships in the harbour. It could be from 4.30 to 6pm, but I am not sure. I couldn't easily find an answer. Someone here might know. If you could find this out, you would know by what time the ship has to be out of the busy area of the harbour.

Thanks tremendously. This is a big help. 

Once you're past the Opera House it's still incredibly beautiful, especially on a fine day.  I always stay up on the top decks until we're out of the harbour completely.  Wouldn't want to miss any of it, especially for a a mediocre massage that's probably still overpriced at $50 off.