Expedition on Venture: Luggage allotment

laserboi

We are joining Venture in June for Iceland/Greenland cruise.  Very excited.  Seabourn indicates "two bags person".  Does anyone know if that means two check-in size bags plus carryon? Or is it truly 2 bags (regardless of size but within their weight restrictions)? The cruise is 15 days so packing is will prove to be a bit of a challenge given the gear needed.  Many thanks,

When we took the charter flight from Reykjavik to Greenland last September, it was two checked bags plus a carryon. We were told about size and weight limits for the carryon, but that was never checked. 

Just be aware, our charter flight was VERY basic. Although we had been given seat assignments, those also were never checked. We were super happy to get off the plane!  However, Venture more than made up for the hassles getting there. 

57 minutes ago, worcestergal said:

When we took the charter flight from Reykjavik to Greenland last September, it was two checked bags plus a carryon. We were told about size and weight limits for the carryon, but that was never checked. 

I am on Venture this summer and taking the charter from Reykjavik to Greenland and recently received an itinerary change to move me from the Radisson Blu which was described last year as horrible plus the following notice about the charter to Greenland   50lb/23kg Per Guest/2 Bag Per Guest Max

Nothing about carryon and pretty sure the 50 lbs is per bag but, will be checking to make sure as 25 lbs per bag is ludicrous  Glad nothing about carryon.  Going to check on the suitcases and weight limits as Seabourn booked me Business that allows 70 lbs per suitcase.

Appears Seabourn learned from last years problems and has us in a decent hotel and for a 29 day cruise a single carryon is absurd as when including a medical device which doesn't count on all airlines with a legal carryon plus a computer bag.

The Radisson Blu was one of the worst hotels I’ve ever stayed in. I think that I did comment about it on CC when we got home from that trip. Be happy you don’t have to stay there. 
I’m sure it is 50 lbs per bag. And, don’t be concerned about the one carryon. Almost everyone had both a carryon and a second “personal” bag (like a pocketbook or camera bag). Seriously, the whole scene at the airport was truly a mess (you’d think it was the first time there had ever been a charter flight!). There were also major issues with getting from the hotel to the bus to the airport. I hope that you have a much, much easier time of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 9:51 PM, rallydave said:

I am on Venture this summer and taking the charter from Reykjavik to Greenland and recently received an itinerary change to move me from the Radisson Blu which was described last year as horrible plus the following notice about the charter to Greenland   50lb/23kg Per Guest/2 Bag Per Guest Max

Nothing about carryon and pretty sure the 50 lbs is per bag but, will be checking to make sure as 25 lbs per bag is ludicrous  Glad nothing about carryon.  Going to check on the suitcases and weight limits as Seabourn booked me Business that allows 70 lbs per suitcase.

Appears Seabourn learned from last years problems and has us in a decent hotel and for a 29 day cruise a single carryon is absurd as when including a medical device which doesn't count on all airlines with a legal carryon plus a computer bag.

Nothing about carryon and pretty sure the 50 lbs is per bag but, will be checking to make sure as 25 lbs per bag is ludicrous  Glad nothing about carryon.  Going to check on the suitcases and weight limits as Seabourn booked me Business that allows 70 lbs per suitcase.

Did you get the answer to this please?

Does anyone have any knowledge of the allowance on the venture antarctica charter flights please per bag?

Thanks

Well I am asking about the charter flights in the Arctic and sure different airlines and planes.  My TA says 2 dchecked bags at 50 lbs each.  Sure the way Seabourn wrote the allowance is incorrect and means 2 at 50 each.

As to the carryons, since they were described in last years cruise and not in this one even on my cruise confirmation whee I did find they are NOT using the Radisson Blu and even have a hospitality room noted last year while it said one carryon, there was no checking and people brought what they choose.

I'm going with the three legal carryons I always fly with throughout the world with always 2 plus medical devices do not count so that is my third.  Hopefully will hear more before leaving home but, confident I can get within the total 100 lbs checked and carryons.

• Thanks 1

@rallydave I would continue to ask Seabourn directly as your trip approaches. I can tell you that on our expedition trip on Silversea to Antarctica this winter, they could not confirm in advance whether a medical device carry on (CPAP machine) would be allowed as an "extra" carry on as it would on a regular commercial flight — so we got a smaller one to make it easy to fit into our regular carry on. (But the charter flights to the port in southern Chile were smaller regional jets, and we understood we needed to comply with one checked bag of 50 pound apiece, one carry on, and one "personal item"; your charter flights to Greenland should be on larger planes, and hopefully Seabourn's limits don't need to be as tight.) 

54 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

@rallydave I would continue to ask Seabourn directly as your trip approaches. I can tell you that on our expedition trip on Silversea to Antarctica this winter, they could not confirm in advance whether a medical device carry on (CPAP machine) would be allowed as an "extra" carry on as it would on a regular commercial flight — so we got a smaller one to make it easy to fit into our regular carry on. (But the charter flights to the port in southern Chile were smaller regional jets, and we understood we needed to comply with one checked bag of 50 pound apiece, one carry on, and one "personal item"; your charter flights to Greenland should be on larger planes, and hopefully Seabourn's limits don't need to be as tight.) 

That seems a really low checked luggage allowance for an antarctica trip 

We typically travel with two carry on sized bags each at the most.  The one we actually carry on always has in it enough to survive in case the other goes missing. Not having a large suitcase means no problems lifting or carrying.  One bag easily piggy-backs on the other. It also means no issues with the trunks of some of the smaller taxis one encounters. We have been thinking about our Arctic trip and believe we can manage  as before.

Shoes are always an issue but one learns to travel in the heavier hiking style shoes. Boots are apparently provided for the zodiac trips and wet landings. That leaves a light pair for round town or the ship and, maybe, an extra pair for evenings. We expect to be given the parka and liner but we are having a couple of days in Reykjavik so a down-filled jacket may be a good idea, even in summer. In terms of shirts, underwear, socks etc., the laundry service has always treated us well. We don't do the formal evenings so that reduces the load significantly. If the parkas prove bulky to pack for the return trip then they go in the second carry-on and it gets checked. The backpack becomes the carry-on. 

That's our thinking but if anyone has done the Arctic trip and sees flaws please don't hesitate to chip in. Always happy to learn.