New Chair Hog Idea on Royal, Hope Celebrity Follows Suit

bookitdanno

As someone who works in an industry that deals with consumer complaints quite often, it can certainly help to make a call to a state regulatory agency or the BBB as a means of putting pressure on a company to relent. It may not work every time, but bad PR is a thing. If it's egregious enough (and I don't know that this one is), a call to the local news "On Your Side" reporter who regularly does features about helping people seemingly shafted by a business can also help move a solution along. It may be worth the company swallowing an incorrect fare to avoid a bad PR hit and to make the most of turning bad PR into an opportunity to turn it into good (or at least less bad) PR.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PH2 said:

As someone who works in an industry that deals with consumer complaints quite often, it can certainly help to make a call to a state regulatory agency or the BBB as a means of putting pressure on a company to relent. It may not work every time, but bad PR is a thing. If it's egregious enough (and I don't know that this one is), a call to the local news "On Your Side" reporter who regularly does features about helping people seemingly shafted by a business can also help move a solution along. It may be worth the company swallowing an incorrect fare to avoid a bad PR hit and to make the most of turning bad PR into an opportunity to turn it into good (or at least less bad) PR.

Should we do what you suggest when Celebrity isn't enforcing their evening dress code in the MDR. 🙄

14 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Should we do what you suggest when Celebrity isn't enforcing their evening dress code in the MDR. 🙄

Yes, that's exactly the same situation as someone being charged $3K more for a cruise than was agreed at the time of booking. 

Ha, you're right! My bad. Thought I was responding to the other thread. And of course, it went to the top of the next page so I couldn't see the context of the other posts which might have alerted me earlier.

Don't show my wife this post - she always tells me I don't multi-task very well...

Edited by PH2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, PH2 said:

Ha, you're right! My bad. Thought I was responding to the other thread. And of course, it went to the top of the next page so I couldn't see the context of the other posts which might have alerted me earlier.

Don't show my wife this post - she always tells me I don't multi-task very well...

I thought that at first, then thought no.  Enjoy. 😉

4 hours ago, Frenchkona said:

On every Celebrity cruise, I’ll wait the required 45 minutes then remove their belongings and give them to one of the pool attendants. When they return and ask where their belongings were, I tell them the pool attendant has them. I usually get a dirty look, but I just smile and wish them a good day.  One couple I did this to 3 times on the same cruise. They finally got the point. I hate entitled people. 

That is a good way to handle it. But I would leave it more nebulous and say “I think the pool attendant has them”

It turns their attention to the proper person who attends to these matters and they can discuss that with them.

A number of years ago, on a Cruise Critic posting about chair hogs, one person posted his solution.  He would move items from two chairs to another two chairs that had been "reserved" by another chair hog and move the items from those two chairs to a third place.  He then sat in the original chair with a friend and watch the other two sets of chairs, to see what happened.  I picture the original poster as a tall and fit person who could easily intimidate anyone who would confront him.  It did make me smile to think that the other inconsiderate and rude people were inconvenienced in having to search for their stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, marshacruises said:

A number of years ago, on a Cruise Critic posting about chair hogs, one person posted his solution.  He would move items from two chairs to another two chairs that had been "reserved" by another chair hog and move the items from those two chairs to a third place.  He then sat in the original chair with a friend and watch the other two sets of chairs, to see what happened.  I picture the original poster as a tall and fit person who could easily intimidate anyone who would confront him.  It did make me smile to think that the other inconsiderate and rude people were inconvenienced in having to search for their stuff.

That would be funny to watch the chair hogs fight each other.😁

• Like 1

I was once called a chair hog here on CC because I posted  once I plant my butt in the lounger I stay in it for as long as I want. No time limit. That person thought after 1 to 2 hours max  I should leave and let someone else use the lounger. 🤣 I did advise that person I am a card carrying HOG member. Different club though. Matter of fact I should wear my HOG T-shirt on our next cruise. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 1

On 3/27/2023 at 6:09 PM, yknot13 said:

Chair Hogging starts early in the morning.

on our recent Edge cruise a good portion of the front row loungers by the pool were  “reserved” by 7:30 to 8:00 am, only to be first used around 10:30-11:00 

It was obvious but nothing was done about it

Next day, same loungers, same scenario

same folks

It’s obvious, the pool deck crew doesn’t care

We once watched as pool hogs used paperback books to reserve their loungers, then couldn't resist a smile when,  a few minutes later,  a sudden downburst made papier maché out of their reading material.

18 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Oh you cheap people- do book a suite and go to the Retreat- no problem there.

Just kidding of course- forgive my black kind of humor. I never booked a suite on board X- ships.

I do not like to stay around the pool- toooooo loud, to crowded. However I know the RCI follows the checking in and out programm with their towels. That I find really disgusting!

I also prefer the cards X does put on loungers- much more sophisticated and the passengers are treated as adults.

On the other side passengers really should behave as adults and not blocking lounge chairs for hours on end.

I suppose those chair hugs are staying as long as there are cruise ships sailing the 7 seas.

There are the same chair hogs in the Retreat and with the Retreat being 100% full on almost all cruises, it pushes the Retreat Sun Deck to the max. Last Apex cruise, when I was on the sundeck, 95% of the chairs and loungers were occupied by stuff but only 25% by actual people.

• Like 3