Minors losing their Diamond status…

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

We are closer than you to for example NJ (4 hours)/Baltimore (6.5 hours)/Boston (1 hour)... but we would probably still drive for our 5 cruises. 🙂 We usually do 4 out of NJ and 1 out of Baltimore lately.

So far all of our Caribbean cruises have departed from the Florida ports and we have our first out of NJ this May on Oasis. Is there a clientele difference that you've noticed or about the same?

26 minutes ago, OACAggie said:

We made it to diamond last year before my eldest son turned 18. He was matched with our status and points (90) until he turned 18 last Sept. After he turned 18, his status stayed diamond and his points reverted to his own accumulated of 54. He would then only move up to D+ once he accumulated the required points on his own. This was the way I understood it to work and how it shows on his profile. We took a short 4 nt cruise in Dec. and his points went to 58 and status is still diamond. He also received a diamond pin from the LA and enjoyed the 4 drinks/day no problem. One thing that I was told/read somewhere was that he had to be the cruise when we hit diamond or on a cruise with us as diamond before we  whe turned 18 for him to keep diamond after he reached 18. Based on that we made sure he was on the cruise when we hit diamond. Not sure if that is true or not or if it makes a difference?

What you said "he had to be the cruise when we hit diamond or on a cruise with us as diamond before he turned 18 for him to keep diamond after he reached 18." is how my daughter got diamond status, I think.  She was 17 when she cruised with us the first time and we got diamond status that year.  She seemed to move up through the levels until the one before Diamond -  Emerald, I think. She had gotten married and called to get her name changed.  The next cruise she was Diamond.  She did not have the points yet. We think now it was the fact that she cruised with us before she 18 and was supposed to have gotten Diamond then.  If they take it away, then she will have the level she should be at.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OACAggie said:

We made it to diamond last year before my eldest son turned 18. He was matched with our status and points (90) until he turned 18 last Sept. After he turned 18, his status stayed diamond and his points reverted to his own accumulated of 54. He would then only move up to D+ once he accumulated the required points on his own. This was the way I understood it to work and how it shows on his profile. We took a short 4 nt cruise in Dec. and his points went to 58 and status is still diamond. He also received a diamond pin from the LA and enjoyed the 4 drinks/day no problem.

This was always my undertaking.

40 minutes ago, OACAggie said:

One thing that I was told/read somewhere was that he had to be the cruise when we hit diamond or on a cruise with us as diamond before he turned 18 for him to keep diamond after he reached 18. Based on that we made sure he was on the cruise when we hit diamond. Not sure if that is true or not or if it makes a difference?

I’ve never heard of this before. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Requalify every year (unless you've gone 'x' years maintaining a certain level).  So if you qualify this year for Delta's "Gold" level (for example), that will last throughout 2023, all through 2024, and expire January 31, 2025.  

Levels are determined by # of segments OR miles AND dollars spent.  

Hotels are the same way (requalify each year). 

You do realize Pinnacle is 700 nights if done one point at a time?  Pinnacle people would freak out if they had to redo this even every 5 years lol

I think Royal realizes they can't use the same system as hotels since most people don't cruise all the time like CC folks lol.  Most people do 1-2 a year which would mean they would be gold forever lol.

I think just need to fix the ridiculous passing of the diamond/diamond+ benefits to anyone who lived in the same house forever then let them pass it on to their houses lol.  That's just silly.

7 hours ago, moposh said:

Well, I guess they're changing it.  I saw this note in C&A benefits before--last year I believe.  Doesn't really bother me.  If my daughter wants to obtain a certain level, she will have to continue to cruise.

Yes, I've posted this a few times in here many months ago and as recently as a few weeks ago.  I also posted it on another cruise social media site at least a year ago.  

I'll post the link to it after I type, the policy is part of the graph that shows the different benefits for the different C&A classes.  

www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/crown-and-anchor-society-benefit-grid.pdf

46   Children share the same tier (up to Diamond Plus) as their parent until age 18. Children of Pinnacle Club members enjoy select onboard benefits of their parents, however, not the tier. Children will be removed from a loyalty relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependent’s record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status without notice.........

..........49   A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however, Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described above. Pinnacle Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents if earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other* by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the Crown & Anchor Society program. For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other* and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other*. *In all instances, a “significant other” is defined as someone in a similar relationship to an individual as a spouse.

In short:

1.  Children under 18 enjoy the same C&A tier status as their parents, except Pinnacle.  But, not the points, they earn their own points.

2.  Once the child(ren) reaches the age of 18, the C&A tier status is adjusted to the level that is commensurate with the actual points earned.  

I'm only posting the policy.  I can't defend or explain why some people get something other than what the policy dictates.   

Edited by Ret MP

37 minutes ago, Blur said:

You do realize Pinnacle is 700 nights if done one point at a time?  Pinnacle people would freak out if they had to redo this even every 5 years lol

I think Royal realizes they can't use the same system as hotels since most people don't cruise all the time like CC folks lol.  Most people do 1-2 a year which would mean they would be gold forever lol.

I think just need to fix the ridiculous passing of the diamond/diamond+ benefits to anyone who lived in the same house forever then let them pass it on to their houses lol.  That's just silly.

You do realize I wasn't arguing a darn thing... just putting out what Delta (my airline of choice) does?

An easy solution would be you KEEP your points (whatever you've earned) unless you don't cruise for say 3 years (or 5, whatever). 

I would have no problem with Royal saying something like:

Children under 18 get the status of their parents AS LONG AS THEY'RE CRUISING WITH THEIR PARENTS.  

After someone turns 18, they revert to whatever level they have earned based on THEIR cruise points.

Someone living in the same household (not sure how you prove that, but go with me) gets the same status as their partner AS LONG AS THEY'RE CRUISING WITH THEIR PARTNER.  If they move out or are cruising by themselves, they are whatever level as they have earned from THEIR cruises.

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me why this isn't "fair", but it seems a good start. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Yes, I've posted this a few times in here many months ago and as recently as a few weeks ago.  I also posted it on another cruise social media site at least a year ago.  

I'll post the link to it after I type, the policy is part of the graph that shows the different benefits for the different C&A classes.  

www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/crown-and-anchor-society-benefit-grid.pdf

46   Children share the same tier (up to Diamond Plus) as their parent until age 18. Children of Pinnacle Club members enjoy select onboard benefits of their parents, however, not the tier. Children will be removed from a loyalty relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependent’s record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status without notice.........

..........49   A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however, Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described above. Pinnacle Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents if earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other* by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the Crown & Anchor Society program. For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other* and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other*. *In all instances, a “significant other” is defined as someone in a similar relationship to an individual as a spouse.

In short:

1.  Children under 18 enjoy the same C&A tier status as their parents, except Pinnacle.  But, not the points, they earn their own points.

2.  Once the child(ren) reaches the age of 18, the C&A tier status is adjusted to the level that is commensurate with the actual points earned.  

I'm only posting the policy.  I can't defend or explain why some people get something other than what the policy dictates.   

the policy to me reads that if the linked child continued to earn points from their parents after they turned 18 those would be revoked. I think I’ve never been impacted by this because I always saw it as more of a status match. They match to me and then promote to the next level once they have accumulated enough points on their own to do so. It hasn’t been an issue for us yet because we have always all cruised at Diamond (I status matched with my sister on my first cruise as we lived together at the time)

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Children under 18 get the status of their parents AS LONG AS THEY'RE CRUISING WITH THEIR PARENTS.  

After someone turns 18, they revert to whatever level they have earned based on THEIR cruise points.

Someone living in the same household (not sure how you prove that, but go with me) gets the same status as their partner AS LONG AS THEY'RE CRUISING WITH THEIR PARTNER.  If they move out or are cruising by themselves, they are whatever level as they have earned from THEIR cruises.

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me why this isn't "fair", but it seems a good start. 

We probably were typing at the same time.  My post above basically says what yours does and it's RCCL's policy!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Denversail said:

the policy to me reads that if the linked child continued to earn points from their parents after they turned 18 those would be revoked.  Once you earn points, they're yours, regardless as to who paid for the cruise, each cruiser earns their own points.  AND:  "however, Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described above".  What the child loses at 18 is the status if their points don't add up to what their parents status is.  If Parents are D+ but the child only has points, at age 18, to be D, he/she becomes D.

I think I’ve never been impacted by this because I always saw it as more of a status match. They match to me and then promote to the next level once they have accumulated enough points on their own to do so. It hasn’t been an issue for us yet because we have always all cruised at Diamond (I status matched with my sister on my first cruise as we lived together at the time)

Edited by Ret MP

9 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

You do realize I wasn't arguing a darn thing... just putting out what Delta (my airline of choice) does?

An easy solution would be you KEEP your points (whatever you've earned) unless you don't cruise for say 3 years (or 5, whatever). 

Sounds fair to me. In our case we were D before our first child was even born. The fact that both kids get to enjoy their own D benefits until they turn 18 is a bonus. 

My Children 30+ yrs old are D cruised last yr.  There profile reads D 60 nts 

At 18 there profile read D 80nts same as my wife 80nts at that point they really only had 14 nts.

We moved on to D+ they stayed D and have continued to earn there own nts towards D+ because of them already being D at 18

46 nts on there own as D 

Still waiting for Op to post again find out what Miami had to say 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Just saying Pinnacle would freak if points reset.  If comparing to airlines or hotels... They do use "lifetime" points to reward status as well which is basically similar to what royal is doing which makes sense since most of their customers are leisure travelers. 

Most people with high status on airlines and hotels are business travelers so not really a good comparison.

Having said that..  being able to spread diamond and diamond plus status with people who only went on one cruise who then turn around to share with family forever doesn't make sense at all lol.

2 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

If someone marries into a status and they get divorced or the spouse dies what happens to their status? Do they keep it or do they revert?

I don't know how they would know otherwise.  But, the policy:  "A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status".

I would assume that the divorced person would retain the points actually earned and the tier commensurate with those points. 

I guess if the divorced person booked a cruise and their address didn't match up with the primary cruiser's address, it would spark interest.  And, I'm fairly sure that CBP, and they get a manifest, pre-cruise, would know the current/correct address and I'm sure they are looking for inconsistencies. 

The policy on the divorced and/or remarried is not too clear.  I'm only assuming that points are only given for actually completed cruises, they must be earned.  However, the Status is given, up to Pinnacle, the same as the primary cruiser until the relationship ends and/or not under the same household.

A remarriage is the same as the first, again, an assumption.

2 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Doesn't seem so fair that kids lose their status now considering......in my opinion anyway. 

Tier levels need to reflect that persons actual cruise points when a kid turns 18, if couples divorce or those living together break up. IMO. 

• Like 2

I think the point that needs to be made is that NOBODY loses anything they EARNED <POINTS.  What happens when someone turns 18 or gets divorced (I'm assuming the divorced part) they lose their "tier Status", that they were granted, not earned.  

• Like 4