JamieLogical's Live from the MSC Meraviglia 4/9 (semi-B2B)

JamieLogical

1 hour ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Jamie,

Any feedback from your brother about the YC? Food, drinks, butler, stateroom?

He is driving home today, so I don't have a final report. Earlier in the week he said that there were pros and cons to both NCL Haven and MSC YC.  He said he would likely make a choice between the two based on price. Early in the week he was complaining about the selection and presentation of snacks left in his room by his butler, but it seems he spoke to her and she stepped up her game.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

He is driving home today, so I don't have a final report. Earlier in the week he said that there were pros and cons to both NCL Haven and MSC YC.  He said he would likely make a choice between the two based on price. Early in the week he was complaining about the selection and presentation of snacks left in his room by his butler, but it seems he spoke to her and she stepped up her game.

It's certainly a first world dilemma when it comes to snacks left in your ship within a ship suite.  In general, the MSC YC is cheaper than the Haven unless there is a last minute deal to fill cabins.

These are pictures of the follow up snacks.

49 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

It's certainly a first world dilemma when it comes to snacks left in your ship within a ship suite.  In general, the MSC YC is cheaper than the Haven unless there is a last minute deal to fill cabins.

IMG_1313.jpeg

IMG_1312.jpeg

IMG_1311.jpeg

IMG_1310.jpeg

70545830398__C3E744FC-3331-4C40-9766-2396E9DAAB44.jpeg

70545668929__2BAE2B31-CA45-4BD2-B315-56AF975A2132.jpeg

70545667888__F9CC8656-F4D4-4878-82C7-73C6851541C2.jpeg

70537154214__01853626-F7CB-4729-9736-32BB64917303.jpeg

70537152577__1DC365A5-0BB2-4161-B17B-04051079F14E.jpeg

70536505487__8DD22253-FA38-40A6-9C8C-54F82CB16B68.jpeg

70536504635__A532E7D6-F842-4F14-A9A3-D56F0CB4AB18.jpeg

70529179804__3F40AB47-E53D-4BC2-ACB8-3A03AE8CA081.jpeg

70529169220__EB03AB40-2C94-4932-8E6D-92E3E0F2CE9D.jpeg

70529168452__6ED5652A-BFD5-4C74-854D-22BA09DCC20E.jpeg

• Like 1

I've only cruised MSC once, and that was 10 years ago. We didn't go to any specialty restaurants. Rather than starting a new topic, can someone tell me if the specialty restaurants allow people to take their leftovers back to the room with them? I had weight loss surgery years ago and there's no way I'll be able to finish my meal. I'd hate to waste the money on something like Butcher's Cut if I can't take a to-go container with me.

2 hours ago, CTGirl74 said:

I've only cruised MSC once, and that was 10 years ago. We didn't go to any specialty restaurants. Rather than starting a new topic, can someone tell me if the specialty restaurants allow people to take their leftovers back to the room with them? I had weight loss surgery years ago and there's no way I'll be able to finish my meal. I'd hate to waste the money on something like Butcher's Cut if I can't take a to-go container with me.

I had weight loss surgery as well and my husband barely eats more than I do in one sitting despite not having had surgery. We have both learned to live with food waste. I will say, at Butcher's Cut, you can choose some items off the tastings menu that aren't huge. Teppenyaki was definitely WAY TOO MUCH food for both of us. Ocean Cay we managed to get smaller portions for the most part.

10 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I had weight loss surgery as well and my husband barely eats more than I do in one sitting despite not having had surgery. We have both learned to live with food waste. I will say, at Butcher's Cut, you can choose some items off the tastings menu that aren't huge. Teppenyaki was definitely WAY TOO MUCH food for both of us. Ocean Cay we managed to get smaller portions for the most part.

So does that mean they don't allow people to take their leftovers in a to-go container?

I'm used to food waste after 10 years. But if I'm paying to go to Butcher's Cut, I'd want to take the leftovers so I can enjoy them later on that night or even for breakfast/snack the next day. It's not only about wasting money, but also about being able to enjoy that meal for another day since I love steak. The smallest steak is an 8 oz. filet at $45, which I still can't finish. I likely wouldn't be willing to spend that if I have to leave half of it on the table. I'd probably skip the restaurant in that case.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CTGirl74 said:

So does that mean they don't allow people to take their leftovers in a to-go container?

I'm used to food waste after 10 years. But if I'm paying to go to Butcher's Cut, I'd want to take the leftovers so I can enjoy them later on that night or even for breakfast/snack the next day. It's not only about wasting money, but also about being able to enjoy that meal for another day since I love steak. The smallest steak is an 8 oz. filet at $45, which I still can't finish. I likely wouldn't be willing to spend that if I have to leave half of it on the table. I'd probably skip the restaurant in that case.

I don't know the answer to your question on MSC, but I've had this issue on NCL.  This is what I do.  I carry a few plastic storage bags in my purse so if I want to take my leftovers I don't have to ask and no one is going to stop me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, CTGirl74 said:

I genuinely don't know. I never even thought to take food to go at a restaurant on a cruise ship because I would have no way of reheating it. I have only ever taken cold desserts (like cake) to go at any specialty restaurant on a cruise.

Edit: I should clarify that my husband and I purchased the 3-meal specialty dining package for our 4/9 sailing, which cost $71 per person at the time. So I didn't pay anywhere close to $45 for the filet I had a Butcher's Cut and therefore had no issues not finishing it.

Edited by JamieLogical

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I genuinely don't know. I never even thought to take food to go at a restaurant on a cruise ship because I would have no way of reheating it. I have only ever taken cold desserts (like cake) to go at any specialty restaurant on a cruise.

Edit: I should clarify that my husband and I purchased the 3-meal specialty dining package for our 4/9 sailing, which cost $71 per person at the time. So I didn't pay anywhere close to $45 for the filet I had a Butcher's Cut and therefore had no issues not finishing it.

Ok thanks. I don't know yet if we will do any specialty dining. Our cruise isn't until October so we have a while to decide. 

I actually like eating leftover filet cold and I would definitely eat it the next day. If it was something like a burger (or pretty much anything else reheatable), I wouldn't care and would just leave whatever is left.

On 5/4/2023 at 11:14 AM, noshoobie said:

Brooklyn Terminal

210 Clinton Wharf

Brooklyn, NY

Update. I tried to type in the 210 Clinton Wharf address in Uber and it only gave me an option for 72 Bowne Street so that is what I used and we got there just fine. Maybe Lyft has the option of 210 Clinton Wharf. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/21/2023 at 11:35 AM, EllieinNJ said:

I think it might be a little different between NY and NJ.  Our driver said by law he is not allowed to pick up another passenger in NY so he loses out on a return trip 

Because someone gave me a "like"today  and this topic was brought to my attention:

We were discussing Lyft

I happened to take Lyft from Westchester to Manhattan 2 days ago

The driver told me he gets:the name, what he will make and the duration of the trip.  With that info he can accept or reject the job.  It's only when he gets to the pickup spot  that he finds out the destination of the trip.  He said that drivers often turn down jobs that end in NYC because they can't get a pickup for the return trip.  No TLC license.

• 5 weeks later...

i just found this thread and am considering booking one of the suites with hot tubs. i realize these are on the lower decks, not near YC proper. however with vids ive been watching i see what is maybe the crew area on the front of the ship? appears zero privacy if they are using this area

so is this area used by the crew or anyone else regularly?

22 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i just found this thread and am considering booking one of the suites with hot tubs. i realize these are on the lower decks, not near YC proper. however with vids ive been watching i see what is maybe the crew area on the front of the ship? appears zero privacy if they are using this area

so is this area used by the crew or anyone else regularly?

Since we were in one of the side-facing suites (not the YC duplex suites) I can't really say. We only had a view of a sliver of the edge of the crew area when we were right up against the railing of our balcony and looked forward. I would assume if you were in one of those duplex YC suites, you would still have privacy, because the railings are steel, not glass, and the crew member area would still be well below you even if you were as low as deck 9.

I found this video just now. About midway through you get a good view of a crewmember laying by the pool from a deck 9 duplex:

2 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

im still learning about MSC and didnt realize all whirlpools arent YC. was talking specifically about this view

image.thumb.png.81d7a9cf66eb761102f4707f0eee27a0.png

The whirpool suite I was in was an Aurea suite, not part of the YC. I think my advice would be that if you are interested in the YC Duplex Suite and are concerned about privacy, try booking one on deck 12 instead of 9.

On 4/23/2023 at 7:49 AM, JamieLogical said:

I have been saving all the dailies and intend to take and post pictures of all of them when I get home.

I just finished reading all 18 pages and it was very helpful! Thank you! Did you ever post the dailies?

On 9/24/2023 at 1:48 PM, Kim_KS said:

I just finished reading all 18 pages and it was very helpful! Thank you! Did you ever post the dailies?

I didn't, but they are probably quite outdated by now. I will try to be sure to post the Dailies for my current 10-day sailing on the Meraviglia in my current liveblog.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I didn't, but they are probably quite outdated by now. I will try to be sure to post the Dailies for my current 10-day sailing on the Meraviglia in my current liveblog.

Thanks! Another live - how exciting!

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I’ll be interested in how well the ship’s internet works for you.