How is the Zaandam and larger people?

ensredshirt

On 3/28/2023 at 4:33 PM, ensredshirt said:

I am what, I like to say, Hagrid sized.  I have never cruised before but will be on the Zaandam in June and the videos I have seen the bathrooms look to be bigger than expected which is good, but the hallways seem small.   How is the ship for larger people?

Howdy —

You’ll be totally fine on the Zaandam. Nothing you won’t have likely encountered before.

Some tips from having cruised extensively with folks your size (and larger):

Cabin:

Bed: should be doable. The beds together in queen formation by yourself kinda gives that extra length diagonally, so your feet don’t have to hang off the bed.

Shower: Avoid inside cabins, as they almost all have a smaller corner shower. Most Oceanview cabins have a shower + tub combo that should be manageable at your size. Some OV cabins on Zaandam (and nearly all OV+ cabins on the newest Pinnacle Ships) have had their tubs removed and replaced with an awesome shower-only that is the most big guy friendly showers on any line at sea (aside from suites). As someone else already recommended: use the “shower at the spa” hack if you encounter any issues with cabin bathroom size. We did that for a decade back when all cruise showers were the awful corner showers with sticky curtains. 

Toilets: some cabin toilets don’t give you a lot of knee room while seated, but sitting sideways is possible.

Seating around the ship:

In general, most cruise seating has arms. (Easier egress for populous senior demographic passengers, and safer during ship movement). MOST venues also have some sort of armless alternative. Ask for it.

Balcony chairs: The metal chairs are sturdy but have tight armrests to fit in. The “sling” type chairs (fabric taut between two supports) will not support you. Eventually it’ll rip.

Dining room: When you board, it’s worth taking a trip to the dining room podium and have a note made on your profile that you need a chair without arms at meals. Some ships are better about simply having this done seamlessly based on that request… others you will need to ask every time at every table service meal. (If you have fixed seating, it’s a little easier because your chair stays at your fixed table, but table mates may unknowingly take your armless chair when they sit 😉.)

Spiral Staircases at Sea:

Worth noting that spiral staircases, which are sometimes hazardous to folks with very large shoe sizes, are frequently found on cruise ships. Generally, there are nearby alternatives.

Spa Robes:

The spa usually thinks they have some larger robes and spa slippers… and then don’t. Since we spend a good amount of time in the Thermal Suite, we bring our own. Don’t bother removing the robes from your cabin from their package (they’re “one size fits all”… ….)

We’re headed on Zaandam soon so will report back any changes from normal.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I wanted to follow up and let people know about my experience.  I was in 1893 and had a shower only cabin.  It was great.  Had plenty of room in the bathroom and while taking a shower.   I quickly learned what chairs on board I could easily fit in and had no trouble getting them.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it is bookable because it is designated as an "accesible" cabin, BUT, if it is bookable or available at embarkation and you want a spacious inside option - 2554 on the Zaandam is HUGE.

We had an inside GTY cabin and were assigned 2554 about 2 days before sailing. It is the largest (by far) of any cabin (non-suites) we have been in - by ALOT.

It was a magical experience for us - not requiring the typical "which door open" decision tree process we typically go through in our cabins. You could leave EVERY closet door AND the EXRA WIDE bathroom door open AT THE SAME TME and still dance about your room - that's how big it is. And there is another set of closets in the corner closest to the end of bed - which can be also just left open all the time as they impede nothing.

Edit: Not saying we leave all our doors open .. just that there is that much space ...🙃

Edited by rodndonna
  • Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 6:19 AM, DaveOKC said:

Most the most part, on HAL the smaller/older the ship the larger the cabins.

Isn't that strange? You would think it would be the other way, but the old Amsterdam and Prinsendam Neptune Suites were so much better than the Koningsdam.  There are some advantages to the newer, bigger ships, mainly restaurant choices and entertainment venues but overall I prefer the older ships and cabins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Isn't that strange? You would think it would be the other way, but the old Amsterdam and Prinsendam Neptune Suites were so much better than the Koningsdam.  There are some advantages to the newer, bigger ships, mainly restaurant choices and entertainment venues but overall I prefer the older ships and cabins.

Thats because on the newer ships the "bean  counters" got involved in the design and figured out that they could squeezeeee more cabins in the same space.

6 hours ago, ensredshirt said:

So I wanted to follow up and let people know about my experience.  I was in 1893 and had a shower only cabin.  It was great.  Had plenty of room in the bathroom and while taking a shower.   I quickly learned what chairs on board I could easily fit in and had no trouble getting them.  

So glad your cabin worked well! Thanks for following up!

• Thanks 1