Queen Mary

Bruin Steve

I just saw a report on the local news that the Queen Mary is not only going to start giving tours again, but, also going to reopen the hotel.

Now, I stayed on the Queen Mary once...for three nights way back in 1978...and it's never been one of those places I have listed on my recommended Long Beach hotels.

That said, my opinion is that the hotel has never been well-operated by generally accepted hotel management standards.  If you are accustomed to staying at Hiltons, Marriotts, Hyatts, etc., the Queen Mary will fall woefully short of that to which you are accustomed.  The rooms even fall way short of the standards of modern cruise ship cabins...they are small, dank, dark, no balconies, few modern features.

OTOH, If you are cruising on Carnival, the Queen Mary is, literally, just a few steps from the Carnival Terminal...but, more importantly, if you just want the historical perspective...to feel what it was like to sail on a passenger ship from almost a century ago, this MAY be an experience you want.  Of course, it may help you appreciate the modern ship you subsequently sail on.

Again definitely NOT for everyone...but an experience SOME may want...and, apparently, it's rising from the dead.  Hotel rooms on the Titanic are next.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Now, I stayed on the Queen Mary once...for three nights way back in 1978...and it's never been one of those places I have listed on my recommended Long Beach hotels.

That said, my opinion is that the hotel has never been well-operated by generally accepted hotel management standards.  If you are accustomed to staying at Hiltons, Marriotts, Hyatts, etc., the Queen Mary will fall woefully short of that to which you are accustomed.

To be fair, when you stayed on her in 1978 she was actually managed by Hyatt. 

48 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

he rooms even fall way short of the standards of modern cruise ship cabins...they are small, dank, dark, no balconies, few modern features.

Its always depended on what type of room you book-- there are plenty that are pretty bleak and small but the suites, mini suites, and deluxe staterooms are all outside, wood paneled, reasonable bathrooms, and very equivalent to 3-4 star hotels. The rest of the rooms are not quite there. 

I’ve lived in So Cal my whole life and have always wanted to stay onboard. ( I have no excuse why I haven’t yet).  So I was excited by the news and thought I probably shouldn’t put it off any longer. Maybe I’ll book it for my birthday in May!

• Like 3

I saw that news too (channel 11 news - GDLA - reported on it on Monday).  Previously, I would visit the Queen Mary every year and would have the Sunday brunch every other year.  Love the nostalgia of it!  

• Like 1

We actually stayed on the QM for one night prior to a cruise out of San Pedro a few years  pre-pandemic. While the visit was very well worth it, and the ship is a great tour, the hotel stay was, sadly, horrible. While the room was wonderfully antique, we had a big insect infestation issue in all rooms and were VERY happy to get out of there the next morning. Here's hoping the new management does a good job of cleaning the hotel up.  If the reviews start to look promising, we would try her again.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 4:34 PM, cruisin'mama said:

I’ve lived in So Cal my whole life and have always wanted to stay onboard. ( I have no excuse why I haven’t yet).  So I was excited by the news and thought I probably shouldn’t put it off any longer. Maybe I’ll book it for my birthday in May!

I did it! I booked it for my birthday in May! I’m so excited!! 🚢

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cruisin'mama said:

I did it! I booked it for my birthday in May! I’m so excited!! 🚢

Please let us know what it is like now.  I've thought about staying there many times.

~Nancy