Long Beach Wheelchair Embarkation

glslipper

I'll be bringing my wheelchair because I can't be on my feet for more than a couple of minutes at one time. My husband or adult daughter can push me. I'm wondering if there is a separate line for people that require the use of a device. I've seen videos of long wait times in lines where people are standing. But I don't notice wheelchairs. If there is a separate line for handicap, do I have to try to board alone? Or can the 3 of us board together if we're all in the same cabin? I'm not asking for preferential treatment at all. I just want to make sure I don't hold up the process for anyone else if I'm supposed to be elsewhere.  Thanks!

On 3/31/2023 at 12:19 PM, glslipper said:

I'll be bringing my wheelchair because I can't be on my feet for more than a couple of minutes at one time. My husband or adult daughter can push me. I'm wondering if there is a separate line for people that require the use of a device. I've seen videos of long wait times in lines where people are standing. But I don't notice wheelchairs. If there is a separate line for handicap, do I have to try to board alone? Or can the 3 of us board together if we're all in the same cabin? I'm not asking for preferential treatment at all. I just want to make sure I don't hold up the process for anyone else if I'm supposed to be elsewhere.  Thanks!

Can’t answer the separate line question. I go right along with my wife who is handicapped into the check in area, we are platinum My wife uses a walker and at Long Beach we go through the entrance, check in and are directed to the elevators bypassing the ramp. My guess is both your daughter and husband will be allowed on the elevator with you.

• Thanks 1

Passengers sharing the same room as the ADA passenger are always kept together, as are usually, say, another small party traveling with the ADA passenger (an adult son/daughter with their own small family - especially if the ADA passenger's spouse is also fragile, i.e., unable to push the wheelchair themselves). 

What should be avoided is a travelling party of 12 claiming that they all need to assist the ADA passenger as well, to avoid going thru the regular embarkation process.  It's just bad form.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Passengers sharing the same room as the ADA passenger are always kept together, as are usually, say, another small party traveling with the ADA passenger (an adult son/daughter with their own small family - especially if the ADA passenger's spouse is also fragile, i.e., unable to push the wheelchair themselves). 

What should be avoided is a travelling party of 12 claiming that they all need to assist the ADA passenger as well, to avoid going thru the regular embarkation process.  It's just bad form.

You're right about the pack of 12 people, lol!  My husband & I are flying together from Northern CA, meeting up with our daughter in Long Beach who's sharing the cabin with us. So just the 3 of us on this trip.  I guess I'm still confused if there's a separate line after getting inside of the dome for ADA passengers.  Walkers & wheelchairs can take up valuable queue space.

3 hours ago, glslipper said:

I guess I'm still confused if there's a separate line after getting inside of the dome for ADA passengers.  Walkers & wheelchairs can take up valuable queue space.

At least in Seattle (and I am guessing that all the other ports are similar), Instead of waiting in the regular line, you are directed to an alternative bypass lane that typically gets you to the terminal entrance, and then inside there are dedicated ADA lanes, which bypass the general check-in queue.  Staff will often direct folks who appear to need the ADA lane, or you can ask staff to direct you to it.

• Like 1

I think I remember a separate ADA line, but because of status level and cabin category, we are almost always in a special line anyway.

My mother, who often cruises with us when we cruise out of LA, SD or SF only uses a wheelchair to get on and off the ship and the staff is always incredibly helpful and makes everything very easy.

• Like 2