Smoking in Mexico since new law passed (Cozumel/Costa Maya)

candasun

Have any smokers recently been to Cozumel or Costa Maya since the new law passed. I am hesitant to book an excursion or all inclusive and be stuck there all day without a cigarette. I know, bad habit but fact is, it would not make for an enjoyable day for me. No lectures please, just looking for some experiences that smokers have had recently. I have read the way the law is worded and it makes it seem like you would not be able to smoke anywhere but a private residence? I cant believe that an area so dependent on tourism would be that strict. Thanks in advance for any insight provided.

• 4 weeks later...

So, there was a restaurant in the Costa Maya port area where you could smoke at the bar.  I didn't leave the port area.  In Cozumel, I did an excursion at Chankanaab Park and saw no one smoking.  I brought a vape pen and used that with no issues.

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2023 at 9:04 AM, candasun said:
  •  

Have any smokers recently been to Cozumel or Costa Maya since the new law passed. I am hesitant to book an excursion or all inclusive and be stuck there all day without a cigarette. I know, bad habit but fact is, it would not make for an enjoyable day for me. No lectures please, just looking for some experiences that smokers have had recently. I have read the way the law is worded and it makes it seem like you would not be able to smoke anywhere but a private residence? I cant believe that an area so dependent on tourism would be that strict. Thanks in advance for any insight provided.

Not sure if you're still looking for answers but we were in Costa Maya a little over a month ago and went along the malecon (we were going diving at one of the dive centers) and ask about this. They said people are still allowed to smoke but they don't want them at restaurants. You have to go outside. The dive company were smokers and they were smoking right along the Malecon and right outside their door. They said no worries.