Insurance - Before Final Payment

js

Hi. 

Pre Pandemic I always purchased our own cruise insurance. This year, when I booked, I didnt purchase and my final payment is this week. 

I know I cannot get pre existing added and thats fine but can I still purchase cruise insurance and have coverage for a death in immediate family or we get sick?

Who do I want to purchase this from if I can prior to final payment. 

If I remember correctly in the past, we used Travel Guard and cruiseinsurancestore. 

Thank you. 

52 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I have used Squaremouth and insuremytrip to book insurance. Both can be booked up until the day before your cruise.  I always book a couple of days after final payment though.  Never a problem with either site

Thank you. I will look into both. 

2 hours ago, js said:

Hi. 

Pre Pandemic I always purchased our own cruise insurance. This year, when I booked, I didnt purchase and my final payment is this week. 

I know I cannot get pre existing added and thats fine but can I still purchase cruise insurance and have coverage for a death in immediate family or we get sick?

If I remember correctly in the past, we used Travel Guard and cruiseinsurancestore. 

Thank you. 

There is lots of information and discussion here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

We use www.TripInsuranceStore.com - and we purchase policies through them from Travel Insured.

Importantly, we've had several claims, including some big ones, and all were paid without any nonsense.

Additionally, Steve and his associates at TIS have been helpful beyond the important decision of "which policy for our needs".  He helped with our first claim, which was big and I was worried about whether I'd "screw it up somehow", etc.

And then he helped with alternate planning when I landed in hospital overseas, and we preferred to try to recover the final week of our trip rather than return home early.

GC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, js said:

Hi. 

Thank you. 

Just look at the policy requirements. Yes, most insurance won't give you "full" coverage if you don't pick up the insurance within a few days of initial booking. Some won't let you pick up insurance after final payment. You can get Travel Guard at insuremytrip

On 4/1/2023 at 6:59 PM, GeezerCouple said:

There is lots of information and discussion here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

We use www.TripInsuranceStore.com - and we purchase policies through them from Travel Insured.

Importantly, we've had several claims, including some big ones, and all were paid without any nonsense.

Additionally, Steve and his associates at TIS have been helpful beyond the important decision of "which policy for our needs".  He helped with our first claim, which was big and I was worried about whether I'd "screw it up somehow", etc.

And then he helped with alternate planning when I landed in hospital overseas, and we preferred to try to recover the final week of our trip rather than return home early.

GC

Thank you so much!

I did a search on my computer and see that I got a quote and was going to use them for a 2019 trip that was canceled anyway before final payment. I really appreciate your taking the time and writing all this out for me. I am going to reconnect with them again. At the time, the person there I used was Deanna.

Thank you.

On 4/1/2023 at 7:26 PM, BirdTravels said:

Just look at the policy requirements. Yes, most insurance won't give you "full" coverage if you don't pick up the insurance within a few days of initial booking. Some won't let you pick up insurance after final payment. You can get Travel Guard at insuremytrip

Fabulous! Thank you so much.
Will research and reach out today/tomorrow since final payment is Wednesday. Yey me!

26 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Call them soon.  

IF I recall correctly, if you are before final payment, it might *not* be too late to get that waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion, at least with some policies.  But ask *them*! 🙂 

GC

Thank you very much. Just sent my email with the information.
Final payment is on Wednesday.
If I don't hear back today, I will call in morning and appreciate your letting me know.

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Call them soon.  

IF I recall correctly, if you are before final payment, it might *not* be too late to get that waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion, at least with some policies.  But ask *them*! 🙂 

GC

Usually pre-existing coverage must be booked within so many days of making the initial payment on some portion of your trip that you want covered. I've seen anywhere from 10 to 21 days.  

8 minutes ago, jimsig said:

Usually pre-existing coverage must be booked within so many days of making the initial payment on some portion of your trip that you want covered. I've seen anywhere from 10 to 21 days.  

Yes, I remember it use to be 10.

I will find out soon anyway I hope.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 1:34 PM, js said:

I know I cannot get pre existing added

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

IF I recall correctly, if you are before final payment, it might *not* be too late to get that waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion

22 minutes ago, jimsig said:

Usually pre-existing coverage must be booked within so many days of making the initial payment

I'm curious.  Do you folks have pre-existing conditions that you feel may cause you to cancel your cruise?  I don't generally buy until final payment, and I've been buying policies that have a 60 day look back for pre-existing conditions.  As I understand it, that means if I develop a condition that causes me to cancel my cruise, and it wasn't something that I (or perhaps a family member) was diagnosed/treated/tested for within the 60 days prior to the policy purchase, then I'm covered.  Am I mistaken about this?

13 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm curious.  Do you folks have pre-existing conditions that you feel may cause you to cancel your cruise?  I don't generally buy until final payment, and I've been buying policies that have a 60 day look back for pre-existing conditions.  As I understand it, that means if I develop a condition that causes me to cancel my cruise, and it wasn't something that I (or perhaps a family member) was diagnosed/treated/tested for within the 60 days prior to the policy purchase, then I'm covered.  Am I mistaken about this?

In my case it was not me but for my late wife that we would take out travel insurance with pre-existing coverage.  She had a very rare form of cancer called and was treated for it for over 10 year with not only chemo but 4 major surgeries that all required about a 3 month recovery time.  For the most part she was able to live a normal life and had good quality of life and no real debilitating symptoms other then chemo side effects and surgery recovery. 

In 2014 we had an Alaskan Cruisetour booked from Anchorage to Denali and then a 7 day ow from Alaska to Vancouver for our 10th anniversary for just the two of us.  She was to have a surgery a few weeks after we got back.  Just after the 30 day to go mark she became symptomatic and they needed to move her surgery up so we had to cancel the Cruisetour.  With her cancer the tumors are normally very slow growing but in my wife's case they would grow very fast. NCL refunded what ever percentage we were entitled to and because we took out insurance we were made whole for the rest including the airfare we had purchased on our own.  We ended up rebooking the trip in 2016 as a round trip out of Seattle and brought our then 6yo DD, again taking out insurance with pre-existing coverage.  I know it's not an apples to apples comparison but it ended up being cheaper for the 3 of us then what the previous trip cost.  I ended up upgrading us (the old way) to the 2br Family Suite as a treat so in the end the cost was about the same as what the 2014 would have cost.

In 2018 our birthday gift to our then 9yo DD was a trip to Disneyland.  We are big Disney fans and had been to WDW a few times with her but never DL.  About a week before the trip they thought my wife had clots in her legs.  It ended up being something else related to clots but she was told not to fly as she would most likely develop clots from the flying even with compression socks.  For that trip I didn't bother with insurance because everything was refundable or able to be cancelled except what the airlines would charge.  In the end I took our DD and my wife stayed home.  I mean how are you supposed to tell a 9yo that you have to cancel her birthday present?  While making small talk with the airline ticket agent while canceling my wife's ticket I had mentioned she was told by a doctor not to fly.  She then asked what was the Doctor's name was and what hospital he was affiliated with.  She asked me to hold and about 2 min later she told me she waived the $150 fee and the entire cost of her ticket would go into a travel bank which was very nice of them to do.  

I understand it the same way you do about the look back period. 

22 minutes ago, jimsig said:

I understand it the same way you do about the look back period. 

Thanks.  It sound's like (unfortunately) you were in a situation that made the pre-existing conditions waiver very meaningful. 

That said, I think some may not fully understand what value it does (and doesn't) add.  I was certainly in that group for a long time.  I think that many/most understand the risks at final payment and can make appropriate decisions.  I mostly buy trip insurance for foreign medical and med-evac coverage.  I don't believe that coverage for either of those is impacted by pre-existing conditions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I mostly buy trip insurance for foreign medical and med-evac coverage.  I don't believe that coverage for either of those is impacted by pre-existing conditions.

Like you, I always bought travel insurance the day before making final payment and worked around the 60 day lookback by not scheduling any doctors appointments for 60 days prior to purchasing the insurance policy. I like to book cruises over a year in advance with a refundable deposit and, having no "skin in the game" prefer not to buy insurance (or airfare) until final payment time.  So my thinking has been the same as yours.  BUT what you said above is very interesting.  Why do you think that a pre-existing condition would not impact foreign medical and med-evac coverage?  I assumed it would but maybe I have been wrong? 

I'm on the verge of cancelling our Fall cruise in Europe because I am thinking that I can't insure it adequately.  Recently, for the first time ever, my husband got some abnormal lab results requiring follow up tests.  These follow up tests have now pushed us into the lookback period.  Haven't laid out anything other than the refundable deposit so we can cancel with no losses and do a domestic vacation instead but I am wondering if you know something I don't?  I just assumed a medical claim would be rejected.

NCL's 4 month out final payment date results in the lookback period being the 5th and 6th months before the actual trip.  We're retired and take three separate trips that are each about a month long every year so being conscious of when we can and can't see a doctor has been something we have to mark on the calendar! 

55 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Why do you think that a pre-existing condition would not impact foreign medical and med-evac coverage?  I assumed it would but maybe I have been wrong?

It's mainly because unless the loss (emergency medical treatment or med-evac) is caused by a pre-existing condition, then I don't believe it makes any difference.  As an example, I break my leg 30 days before I buy insurance at final payment and re-break it on the cruise.  Treatment and evac would likely not be covered.  OTOH, I have a bad test result 30 days out but go on the cruise anyways.  I break my leg.  That would be covered, because the loss was not caused by a pre-existing condition.  I am not a lawyer or insurance agent and have no idea if this is correct or not.  That's just how I've interpreted things.

This is the verbiage in my latest Nationwide policy:

"Loss caused by or resulting from:

1. Pre-Existing Conditions,"

To your point, if I have any bad test results within 60 days prior to final payment/insurance purchase, I may consider cancelling the cruise since they could escalate and cause me to miss the cruise for medical treatment.  I've actually been in that situation, but fortunately the test results came back good.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

Thanks.  I think you are correct but I, too, have never actually asked questions to clarify it.  I'm leaning towards just steering clear of a potential mess by not making final payment this time.  I like the domestic trip I planned out just as much anyway. 

Thank you all for your insightful posts. 

My fil passed out while driving and is in the hospital right now with many, many severe injuries, including internal bleeding that seems to have been finally stopped with the five surgeries he has had since one week ago today. 

My fil is a very strong 80, better shape than some 50 year olds I know so that is helping him but he has an extremely long road ahead of him, if he leaves the hospital. He is stable but in critical comdition and the doctors say fragile. But, today was a plus, he is no longer intubated but now has a treach. 

Anyway, are you all saying that even if I get insurance and my fil ends up passing away right before or during my August cruise, and we have to cancel or leave, since he has a pre existing condition, we wont be compensated?

Final payment is Wednesday so I wanted to book insurance today or tomorrow. 

Thank you. 

I would run this by someone at tripinsurancestoredotcom and see what they suggest.  They are very helpful there and frequently contribute on this CC forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/.  Insurance is complex and I am certainly in no position to give definite answers.  However, it has been my general understanding that a situation that becomes a known hazard to your plans at this point would not be possible to get coverage for.

8 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

I would run this by someone at tripinsurancestoredotcom and see what they suggest.  They are very helpful there and frequently contribute on this CC forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/.  Insurance is complex and I am certainly in no position to give definite answers.  However, it has been my general understanding that a situation that becomes a known hazard to your plans at this point would not be possible to get coverage for.

I would think this is spot on-

the whole point is that insurance is not for covering an event that is likely to happen-right now you have a known situation that could cause you to cancel the trip-

No matter what, I would see if you can get an extension on final payment due to this from the cruise line

10 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Thank you.

I filled out a form for a quote yesterday.

I just called and left a voice mail.

I appreciate your help.

Edited by js

2 hours ago, ngrund said:

I would think this is spot on-

the whole point is that insurance is not for covering an event that is likely to happen-right now you have a known situation that could cause you to cancel the trip-

No matter what, I would see if you can get an extension on final payment due to this from the cruise line

I agree too but just making sure I am correct.
I called and left a voice mail.

Edited by js

15 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I am not a lawyer or insurance agent and have no idea if this is correct or not.  That's just how I've interpreted things.

But did you stay at a Holiday inn Express last night?!?!?  🤣😂

• Haha 2