LIVE- The World's Longest Trip Report (Luminosa 4/13 - 5/4)

EngIceDave

7 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Admitted food snobbery.....THIS is not a "Baked Alaska"

THIS is a Neapolitan ice cream cake with meringue 

image.thumb.jpeg.d69a8ee4be0fe141aca1f30ee8623069.jpeg

Isn't that what baked alaska is?  ice cream surrounded by cake and meringue?  Admittedly, my only experience of this is on a cruise, and that's what i always thought it was.

2 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

Isn't that what baked alaska is?  ice cream surrounded by cake and meringue?  Admittedly, my only experience of this is on a cruise, and that's what i always thought it was.

Again, admitted snobbery on my part, but it isn't an ice cream cake, it's just merely ice cream, typically in a half dome, covered in a thick layer of meringue

No crust, not a cake and neopolitan? Not in any true one, it's vanilla.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18986/baked-alaska/

• Like 1

So just a few more pictures of my Crossing the Line Ceremony in 1976 onboard the USS Enterprise (CVAN-65). These include a slimy pollywog posing for a photo, kissing the Royal Baby, King Neptune's Court, and finally a visit to the Royal Scribe upon completion of the initiation rites to ensure proper enrollment into the Royal Order of Trusty Shellbacks.

I will also point out that initiation onboard a U.S. Aircraft Carrier is a huge event with several thousand pollywogs attending the rites. As such - many of the cast members of the Royal entourage rotated in shifts with multiple Royal Baby's, Doctor's, etc. Typical crew size onboard a carrier generally numbered between 6,000-7,000 sailors. It also allowed us to also have a quite successful WOG day contest the evening before our Crossing the Line event. I will also point out that participation in these rites is totally voluntary and you are able to "opt out" if you wish, although 99% do participate. There is no shaming allowed of those who do "opt out".

Here's hoping the OP had a memorable day "Crossing the Line".

20230421_164721.jpg

20230421_164751.jpg

20230421_164653.jpg

20230421_164703.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like a pretty wet day for you. Reminds me of my time in the Navy. Because I was an aviation sailor (airdale - AKA brown shoe), I was always stationed onboard aircraft carriers and typically assigned to an aircraft squadron. We basically worked 12 hr shifts at sea (12 on, 12 off). But those "on" shifts would normally run 13-14 actual hours). Working on the roof (flight deck) you could see the huge storms way off in the distance and many times the ship would turn into the wind to begin flight ops and that storm would be dead ahead. You knew, at that point, that you were going to get soaked (no matter what) when the launch and recovery operations began. Flight deck personal had basic foul weather gear (along with 2 pair of flight deck boots) but soaked was still the outcome - no matter what.

Edited by SDPadreFan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Big screen video is coming, waiting for the upload

Everyone was a good sport, it was only crew, no guests

Sorry gang, you'll may have to wait a day or two. It's just too slow to upload

Was fun and everyone was a good sport....

• Like 3

Heard rumor, went and checked the RCCL forum

Saw this online....
"Currently on quantum of the seas and approx 1hour ago an Oscar Oscar Oscar call was placed.
They currently have 4 boats on the water searching, and have requested all guests return to their rooms.
It is currently midnight ship time so very dark.we are due into Hawaii in 2 days on route from Tahiti.
Praying it is a false alarm."

This is in front of us....they're the ship that was a day ahead of us

It was posted on there 12 hours ago.....

image.jpeg.0d0389cf59ec981ff8f42d64de583be6.jpeg
  • Like 3

Quantum of the Seas is currently sailing a 16-night, one-way cruise from Brisbane to Honolulu. The ship left Australia on Wednesday, April 12, 2023 with two port visits in French Polynesia before enjoying six days at sea on the way to Kona, Hawaii, where she is expected to arrive on April 27. The ship will conclude the cruise in Honolulu on Friday, April 28.

• Like 3

On 4/25/2023 at 12:52 PM, EngIceDave said:

Again, admitted snobbery on my part, but it isn't an ice cream cake, it's just merely ice cream, typically in a half dome, covered in a thick layer of meringue

No crust, not a cake and neopolitan? Not in any true one, it's vanilla.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18986/baked-alaska/

and cake! and banana ice cream!

https://wearechefs.com/baked-alaskas-history-is-one-of-science-and-decadence/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1