Obstructed by light bulbs???

We just got our confirmation for Radiance of the Seas Feb 3, 2007 sailing. We have booked JS 1540 (deck 10) and the confirmation said "partially obstructed view." RCI customer service told us that the view was 20% obstructed by light bulbs. What does that mean? Will the balcony have bright lights shining on it all the time? RCI made it sound like these were decorative lights and wouldn't give us any additional info. The web site deck plans don't mention this and the TA said nothing about it.

Thanks

We just got our confirmation for Radiance of the Seas Feb 3, 2007 sailing. We have booked JS 1540 (deck 10) and the confirmation said "partially obstructed view." RCI customer service told us that the view was 20% obstructed by light bulbs. What does that mean? Will the balcony have bright lights shining on it all the time? RCI made it sound like these were decorative lights and wouldn't give us any additional info. The web site deck plans don't mention this and the TA said nothing about it.

Thanks

I didn't get to look at the deck plans, but perhaps it's life boats? I've never heard of being obstructed by light bulbs, but I guess you never know!

It wouldn't be lifeboats, they are on deck six. I really want to say this is a typo on your confirmation. Only other possiblity is window cleaning equipment but I think that they are way aft.

I really don't think your view is obstructed. Someone just made a mistake.

On the deck plans it says cabin #1098 and #1598 have partial obstructed views..says nothing about 1540...and 20% on a 66ft balcony...those would have to be some Big Light blubs;) ;)

I think it will be fine...JMO...Heck you got a JS...it will be wonderful!:D

Okay....someone misunderstood, and the obstruction is "life boats".

If you look at the deck plan on Radiance, there is an indentation in the passenger section of the floorplan between the elevators....from the hump forward. There are lifeboats there. On deck six, this means the canopy from the boats juts right out from your balcony.

Geometry dictates that the higher you go, the less the overall obstruction, yet if you look straight down toward the water from that room, you will be looking at the top of the lifeboat canopy.

Trust me...no biggie. You have a beautiful cabin in a great location.

Tracy

Deck 7 has the lifeboat cover view problem from balconies on Deck 7. The lifeboat covers over hang Deck 6, and mess up the view from deck 7 balconies. Other than the aforementioned window washing equipment and a couple of cabins, I have never heard of obstrusted balcony views on deck 10. I guess "life boat" could sound a little like "light bulb" if you couldn't understand the speaker. :D Let us know how it works out!

Okay....someone misunderstood, and the obstruction is "life boats".

Tracy

This is HILARIOUS. I am absolutely, totally, utterly positive that this is it. The CSR spoke unclearly/had an accent/otherwise mumbled, and the OP misunderstood/misheard and the explanation was LIFE BOATS.

20% obstructed by LIFE BOATS.

Or, as Gilda Radner (Roseanne Roseannadanna) would have said.......

"NEVER MIND"

:)

Thanks for all the responses. We thought of the life boats too, but there was no accent and the RCI person repeated "light bulbs--you know lights." We asked what type of lights and they said they didn't know and told us to talk to our TA. We knew that the life boats would not be a problem on deck 10.

We have a call in to our TA, so we'll learn more Monday. Maybe they can talk to someone at RCI who has actually been on a ship or at least knows what one is!

Thanks for all the responses. We thought of the life boats too, but there was no accent and the RCI person repeated "light bulbs--you know lights." We asked what type of lights and they said they didn't know and told us to talk to our TA. We knew that the life boats would not be a problem on deck 10.

We have a call in to our TA, so we'll learn more Monday. Maybe they can talk to someone at RCI who has actually been on a ship or at least knows what one is!

Ok, then here's my NEW theory: THAT person had asked another CSR at the next line over and that is what S/HE said, and YOUR CSR misinterpreted and repeated.

How about that!?!?!?!???!

ever see the Seinfeld "Kenny Rogers Roasters" episode where Kramer hung the "bad chicken" sheet sign out his window due to the bright lights from the new Kenny Rogers' neon sign? With obstruction from those bulbs it might be time to hang a sign off that balcony.:D

I will be in an interior cabin on deck ten of this ship, and I will GO LOOK for you at these light bulbs and I will come back here and post for you- ok?:) I am writing this info down in my little book right now and since i will be up in that area i am sure that i will remember because i want to see these huge light bulbs!! :eek: and if i can really get it together i will even take a pic for you and try to post it- ok? so- you have to remember to check back here the wkend of 4/29 as that is when i'll have been home for a few days and will have time to get back to these threads etc...

Lisa

Well, our TA was finally able to find someone at RCI who knew what was going on. First of all, JS 1540 on Radiance does not have an obstructed balcony at all. Apparently the printed confirmations for this cruise were listing all JS cabins as having obstructed balconies. Supposedly that's been fixed. The TA said that the RCI person was not happy when he heard that their "customer service" folks were making things up about obstructions rather than finding out and providing the facts.

Thanks for all of the replies and offers to help. Looks like this one is solved.

Archived