Johannesburg: NY Times Tips, Ideas, Options?

TLCOhio

From the New York Times Travel Section late last month, they had this headline: 36 Hours Johannesburg with these highlights: “For too long, Johannesburg was a victim of its own reputation for violent crime, with citizens retreating behind high walls and socializing in shopping malls. A culture shift — partly spurred by the city’s strict pandemic lockdowns — has many Joburgers rediscovering the outdoors and the city’s Goldilocks weather (not too hot, not too cold) to dine and dance under the open sky. Over a weekend in this modern, contradictory city, wander through changing neighborhoods that are embracing galleries and sidewalk cafes, pull up a plastic chair at a market for unfussy barbecue, or sing along at a theater with a rich history of protest performance. And no longer the no-go area for tourists, as it was during the apartheid era, Soweto is a testament to Black South Africa’s contemporary creativity and unbridled joy. Take a turn, or as South Africans say, a 'short left,' and be rewarded in Joburg.”

If doing a cruise in or around South Africa, you might be flying into Johannesburg and/or traveling around nearby.  Should you send time in Johannesburg?  When we did our Cape Town exploring, plus cruising in this region, we traveled through Johannesburg and stayed there one night in going up to Botswana.  Time and budget was limited, so we did not get to explore that town/area.  Full details below in my live/blog.  

In this detailed profile, a number of restaurants and bars, galleries, markets, shopping, attractions and historical sites are outlined.  Many options to consider!!  If and if??

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/03/23/travel/things-to-do-johannesburg.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 53,903 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Thank you for your informative post.

I posted this on March 23:

“Hello all,

I love writing info on great drivers/guides for independent travellers. I have been blessed in my life to find many with great passion.

We travelled for 7 weeks in Feb-March 2023 and I would like to share 2 with you from South Africa.

JOHANNESBURG: After lots of research on TA, I fortunately found Moses Molepe. He owns mtmtours. He was very quick to reply to all my emails. I arranged for him to pick us up from the airport (he was waiting for us at 2am as our flight was 2 hours late) and 2 full day tours (Pretoria & Diamond Mine — Johannesburg & Soweto). I love quality/price and he is just that! He has been driving/guiding for many years but you can see he loves his job. He also dropped us off at the airport for us to fly to Victoria Falls. I booked Moses about 6 weeks before our arrival. Trust me, you can not find better. moses@mtmtours.co.za +27 11 766 5417   He drives a very nice van.

CAPE TOWN: As CT was our last stop on our epic holiday, I slacked off and had not arranged a driver/guide. After our arrival at our accommodation, the owner of the condo gave us the name of Godfrey Manual. I contacted him and AGAIN, we were blessed with the expertise, gentleness and great quality/price of this guide/driver. Godfrey toured us for 3 full day and dropped us off at the airport. He really became a friend and we will miss him. You can reach Godfrey Manual at info@impresstours.com +27 83 261 9597  Godfrey drives a very nice van.

The Canadians!😎

P.S. If you need driver info for Victoria Falls, Kasane, Safari in Tanzania and Safari in Uganda, send me a message…”

I hope people will discover Africa in general. It is a very special place.

The Canadians!😎

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 9:40 AM, cashmeremypuppydog said:

P.S. If you need driver info for Victoria Falls, Kasane, Safari in Tanzania and Safari in Uganda, send me a message…”

Would love to know who you used in Victoria Falls.  Also, where did you stay, What airline did you fly?  (AirLink?)

We just booked for January 2024r and will do Victoria Falls and Kruger NP on our own.

Any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated.

heartfelttraveler@aol.com

Hello Heartfelttraveler,

We used Owen (beautiful van):
+263772226132
owensadya84@gmail.com

We stayed at Elephants Hills because the rate was great and we wanted to see wildlife on the property. The hotel is a bit tired but the employees were outstanding. We saw monkeys, wild boars, bush bucks from our balcony and from the pool. The brekkie was super good…

We flew from Johannesburg to VF and then VF to Cape Town with 2 different airlines. Sorry I can’t remember but they were both good.

Enjoy Africa!

On 4/23/2023 at 10:20 AM, Heartfelttraveler said:

Would love to know who you used in Victoria Falls.  Also, where did you stay, What airline did you fly?  (AirLink?)

We just booked for January 2024r and will do Victoria Falls and Kruger NP on our own.

Any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated.

heartfelttraveler@aol.com

Appreciate these various comments, questions and follow-ups.  Great sharing!!

Yes, when you are traveling as far, far when going to South Africa, you need to consider, carefully, some of the many various, world-class options such as Victoria Falls.  

For this amazing natural wonder, the first question is to where to go and be based.  Zambia?  Or, Zimbabwe?  Similar names, but somewhat different counties.  During our time period, Zambia was rated as more "stable" and better for doing such visits.  You can see Victoria Falls from both countries.  Second to consider is when you go.  At certain times of the year, the water flow levels are fairly low and the "look" for the water flow is more marginal.  Next is one of my view captured during our 2016 visit. 

image.thumb.jpeg.32b0bfd0e9f91b45066dd93e775840fe.jpeg

Near the falls, we stayed at what was then called the Zambezi Sun.  It is not as upscale and costly as its luxury Royal Livingston.   Our hotel, now operated under the name of Avani Victoria Falls Resort,  worked very well for us and was very close for walking to experience Victoria Falls.  One night, we had drinks and dinner at the lavish Royal Livingston.  Here is a visual of my wife with on the friendly and helpful staff members there.  

image.thumb.jpeg.9367d806911f4d0fc6e68ef5881616fb.jpeg

Victoria Falls is rated as one of the seven natural wonders of the world next to others like the Great Barrier Reef.  The 1.2 mile-wide Zambezi River drops more than 328 feet into a steeply-walled gorge. With its scale, drama, power, width and beauty it is easy to see why it is considered one of the world's greatest areas of natural magnificence. Around and nearby are a wide range of activities such as river rafting, bunjee jumping, fishing, swimming, game drives, walks with lions, etc.  Planning ahead is essential, if you want to get the most out of your visit.

Doing a Zambezi River sailing can be exciting and amazing.  Below are a couple of samples to verify the wildlife seen, plus the view with the dramatic sunset there. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f494380a6c6d07eb18fe655420533ab7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9b14bdd27d1b0fb1ed9ededb1cf6dc39.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9f1de50523e6e37a365517bc94fc82f4.jpeg

For travel in parts of Africa, be careful in trying to do "it" on your own. DIY can work well in many or some parts of the world.  But, here you want things to be "seamless".  Not everything in this part of the world, however, always connects easily and without some logistical challenges/issues.  We arranged our trip through Swain Destinations and all worked well.  

Need more?  Added questions?

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 246,693 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

No question about it, when DIY, you have to plan ahead before your trip. But the upside is that you can travel for 7 week instead than the typical 2-week much inflated tour.

I am so glad we booked directly with a driver in Uganda and not a tour as it was at least 50% cheaper than a tour sold in Canada or USA. Something with Tanzania. 

As we were not doing safaris in South Africa, Victoria Falls and Chobe (only day tours which does not equal a safari for me), we just had great drivers… as mentioned above.

DIY is so much more rewarding in my humble opinion. 

An African Ambassador!🦍🐘🦛🦓🦒🦁
P.S. Zambezi River sailing was very disappointing for us after touring Uganda and Tanzania. However, we enjoyed the outdoors, okay drinks and the ambience.

Edited by cashmeremypuppydog

On 4/30/2023 at 10:07 AM, cashmeremypuppydog said:

No question about it, when DIY, you have to plan ahead before your trip. I am so glad we booked directly with a driver in Uganda and not a tour as it was at least 50% cheaper than a tour sold in Canada or USA. Something with Tanzania. 

DIY is so much more rewarding in my humble opinion. 
P.S. Zambezi River sailing was very disappointing for us after touring Uganda and Tanzania. However, we enjoyed the outdoors, okay drinks and the ambience.

Glad to hear your DIY in Africa worked well.  For my wife as we age, she feels much more comfortable and worries less when we have more "seamless" tours scheduled through more established sources.  Happy wife is a happy life??  Much depends on your budget, timing, etc.  Each method can work.  Sorry your Zambezi River sailing did not work out as well outs did.  Great sharing.