Wine purchased onshore restrictions?

Bongomauka

Hi All,

We are planning on bringing onboard at embarkation our allowed maximum of 6 bottles of wine. We’re sailing in the Mediterranean on an Oceania cruise and don’t want to pass up the chance to buy and consume on board wines we hope to buy onshore. Has anyone of you done this? Or did the staff confiscate your purchases while reboarding at the port. Thanks in advance for any and all comments, advice, workarounds proposals, and suggestions. Salut!

Edited by Bongomauka
Omissions

More comments will follow but from my understanding. 

Not really limited to six bottles at start.

Spirits or beer in addition to wine.

Allowed to bring on at port stops.

Brought beer, hard liquor and wine back on board Riviera (12/2021) and Sirena (11/2022) in the Caribbean. Brought wine when I boarded Riviera. And brought wine and beer when I boarded Sirena. They don't check your checked luggage for alcohol. I bring the alcohol back from ports in the O tote bag! Heavy duty. Works fantastic for that.

Just NOTE, you can ONLY drink your own beer and hard liquor in your cabin. You can pay a $25 corkage fee to drink your own wine in the restaurants.

If you have spirits or beer  just drink in your cabin

Wine you can take the bottle to a dining venue  & pay the corkage  or drink it in your cabin  N/C

Do not wander the ship with YOUR  onshore purchases in a glass

• Like 2

@Bongomauka

Others have shared the accurate info about O and their policy allowing guests to bring alcohol aboard. You do not have to be worried about it being confiscated, nor are they keeping a log on what and how many bottles you bring aboard. We were on a little Sonoma winery tour and at the Ferrari Carano Sales Shop, we found a wine suitcase that holds up to 12 bottles.  We share the suitcase with a friend and bring along some very good Sonoma and Napa County wines to share. A very good bottle with a $25 Corkage is always more economical than the O Wine Lists and definitely a great addition to an outstanding dinner. 
Plan to cruise and enjoy yourselves.

Mauibabes 

5 hours ago, Bongomauka said:

Hi All,

We are planning on bringing onboard at embarkation our allowed maximum of 6 bottles of wine. We’re sailing in the Mediterranean on an Oceania cruise and don’t want to pass up the chance to buy and consume on board wines we hope to buy onshore. Has anyone of you done this? Or did the staff confiscate your purchases while reboarding at the port. Thanks in advance for any and all comments, advice, workarounds proposals, and suggestions. Salut!

The six bottle statement in the O FAQs is CYA.

i have never seen it enforced (even when it used to be 3 bottles. Depending on embark port and itinerary, we’ll often bring a case to start and replenish enroute.

One caveat: Don’t be the nasty cheapskate who pours their own wine in a glass and takes it out of the cabin to avoid the $25 corkage. 

O has a very liberal policy regarding liquor brought on board. Pay the corkage fee for wine brought to the dining venues, and keep the other drinks in your cabin. Don’t try to skirt the rules and ruin it for the rest of

us.

• Like 7

It looks like MEFlowa says O is not that persistent on checking baggage for spirits in your luggage or coming back from the ports with a few bottles of spirits. I would like to try some rum in other countries and bring them back with me. Has anyone in the last six months been able to bring back spirits and keep them?

Oceania does NOT check for alcoholic beverages being brought aboard. The list of alcoholic beverages that can be brought aboard includes, but not limited too, beer, wines, RUM, bourbon, whiskey, scotch , vodka, gin, tequila, brandy, cognac, pisco, Jäegermeister, schnapps, amaretto, and an entire list of cordials. Easy concept, and also will include any other “ whaddabouts “ you might have come to mind.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, eddiegina said:

... Has anyone in the last six months been able to bring back spirits and keep them?

Just from Sirena 11/18-28/2022 in the E. Caribbean I'm right NOW looking at my bottles of Brugal rum (74 proof, Dominican Republic), Soca Rum (123 proof, Dominica), Don Q Rum (151 proof, Puerto Rico) and Sunset Rum (169 proof, St. Vincent) that I brought back onto the ship and then flew them back home in my checked bag.(I brought back rum from Belize and cana & tequila from Mexico off Riviera in the W. Caribbean, 12/13-23/2021.)

8 minutes ago, eddiegina said:

You just carried them back from the port in a bag or in your backpack? Didn't know if you needed to hide it somewhat?

As I said earlier, "I bring the alcohol back from ports in the O tote bag! Heavy duty. Works fantastic for that." But you can bring your own. Got ours off the A4 Concierge Veranda cabin we had on Riviera 12/2021. And while I am discreet, they can see what's in the bag when it goes thru their scanner on your return. They never say anything. And I'm always bringing back bottles of beer which I drink in my cabin or veranda while on the cruise.

2 hours ago, eddiegina said:

You just carried them back from the port in a bag or in your backpack? Didn't know if you needed to hide it somewhat?

we just put bottles in our carry on bag

You can drink them in your cabin  no problem

23 hours ago, eddiegina said:

It looks like MEFlowa says O is not that persistent on checking baggage for spirits in your luggage or coming back from the ports with a few bottles of spirits. I would like to try some rum in other countries and bring them back with me. Has anyone in the last six months been able to bring back spirits and keep them?

We just got off Sirena yesterday.  I bought Rye Whiskey in two different ports and brought back on board with no questions whatsoever. 

Joe