phone calls to U.S. from Australia and New Zealand

friend2dogs

We will be sailing on The Diamond Princess from Auckland on April 2nd. Prior to embarkation, we will be spending time in Brisbane with friends.

What is the best way to call the U.S. from Australia and New Zealand?

Some people have told us to purchase a disposable phone in Australia, some say an international calling card is best and some say to use a global phone.

We would like to be able to stay in touch with family and friends in the U.S., but need advice as to the most economical and efficient way to do so. We welcome your suggestions!

Calling cards are about 2 cents a minute (various options depending on length of calls) - You can buy them online or at most convenience stores when you get to Australia. Just make sure you pick one that has a local numer in Brisbane and that can be recharged by phone or internet.

If you will want a cell phone and may call people in Australia - then it may make sense to look into those options (converting your US cell phone or renting one here) - but if its just to call the states - calling cards are good and cheap.

All local calls also usually cost about 30 cents from home phones - so just remember that when using your Brisbane friends home phone.

Hope that helps.

This was the way to go for us. It wasn't very expensive and it was a way to keep in touch with DH's dad and for him to call us in an emergency. By the by, you can actually make cell phone calls from the Tasman Sea. A friend of ours was delighted when we gave him a call and he still talks about it. Has something to do with all the oil platforms out there.

Enjoy your cruise!

Charlie

If you can borrow a GSM phone that isn't locked to a particular network, you could borrow it and then buy a prepaid SIM when you arrive in Australia. This gives you the convenience of having a mobile phone as well as not being charged completely extortionate rates for phoning overseas. And, in any case, if the people you want to talk to in the US can phone an Australian mobile number cheaply, call them and get them to call you straight back, as receiving calls on a mobile is at no extra charge.

You may want to check with your cell phone carrier. I'm with Cingular and paid $5.99 to activate the international feature for one month. I will cancel when I return. The calls I make or recieve will cost a discounted rate of .24 a minute, .20 to send a text message and .50 to receive a text message. I will change my recorded message to tell people I'm out of the country and to only leave a message if urgent. I am only taking the phone for emergencies, if the kids need us, etc. It sounds fairly reasonable to me to have this feature turned on. I just have to remember to cancel it when I get back.

Andrea

as long as your power cord can take 100-240 - most hotels can supply converters (ask at the desk) or buy one (should be available at most stores like woolworths, 7-11, etc).

incoming calls are free on Australian mobile phones, but that means that the person calling (even from the US) - will pay much more.

Do you know if the hotels (specifically the Westin Sydney) only have the aussie plugs or do they also have the US-type plugs in addition to the aussie plugs?
I've only ever seen Aussie sockets in Australia. If you have a US plug, it is possible (in extremis) to bend the pins so that they will fit into an Aussie socket, but this will basically destroy the plug so an adapter is a much better idea. Adapters that simply change the shape of the plug are very easy to get everywhere, so it's not something to stress about if you happen to forget.

Most power supplies I've seen recently are 100V-240V 50-60Hz so do not need a transformer to cope with the different voltage and will be perfectly happy in either US or Australian power sockets. This includes both computer power supplies and mobile phone chargers. Just check the rating label on the power supply itself.

But if it says it will only take power at about 110V, then plugging it in to a 240V supply is almost certainly guaranteed to produce some interesting sights/sounds/smells.

Thank you all for your help! I'll be in Sydney this weekend and I can't wait!!! :D :D :D

Cheers!

I'm sure you'll have a ball. It's a great time to visit, has been very hot. Sydney is great any time.

Just a word to those who may be activating their cell phones for international use. I thought everything was set up with my cell carrier, but my phone has not worked since I got here. I think they deactivated the service and there was no way to check until i arrived. My phone worked fine at the airport in Calif., but since i arrived in Syndey, I have No Service and cannot reach them, so if you plan to activate your phone, call your carrier before you leave the states and ask them to check that it;s working. I've heard from others who purchased phone cards before arrival, that they didn;t work either, but the phone cards purchased at convenience stores in Sydney work just fine and are reasonable.

Over and out from the Cairns Hilton where we are currently stranded waiting for Cyclone Larry to hit! Yikes...

Andrea

Just a word to those who may be activating their cell phones for international use. I thought everything was set up with my cell carrier, but my phone has not worked since I got here. I think they deactivated the service and there was no way to check until i arrived. My phone worked fine at the airport in Calif., but since i arrived in Syndey, I have No Service and cannot reach them
Thinking about the most likely cause of you problem: Are you carrying a GSM phone?

GSM is the standard international mobile phone system, but most North American phones do not operate on this standard. If you don't have a GSM phone, simply activating international roaming is not going to be enough because your phone cannot talk to the local mobile phone system.

Archived