Medicare not acceptable as Primary Plan for GeoBlue?

LB_NJ

I was filling out the online GeoBlue application and got to a part that says a Primary Plan is required and that the:

"Primary Plan is a Group Health Benefit Plan, an individual health benefit plan or a governmental health plan designed to be the first payer of claims (such as Medicare) for an Insured Person prior to the responsibility of this Plan. Such plans must have coverage limits in excess of $50,000 per incident or per year to be considered a Primary Plan. Note: Medicaid and V.A. health plans do not constitute primary health insurance."

Since GeoBlue is only international and Medicare with a standard supplemental plan has lifetime international coverage of $50,000 does this mean Medicare is NOT acceptable as a Primary Plan?

We use GeoBlue for travel outside the US and we have Medicare.  The way I’ve read the the definition of Primary Plan is that Medicare qualifies.  The statement about coverage limits in excess of $50,000 per incident or per year is related to your coverage within the US. 

Basically, GeoBlue wants you to have good insurance in the US before they will agree to cover you outside of the US.

I am a Medicare and TRICARE FOR LIFE (Retired Military Supplemental to Medicare, simply stated) customer.  Medicare doesn't cover anything outside of the U.S. and its Territories, with only a very few exceptions. 

However, I'd check the wording of your Supplement, it may say that if you are traveling outside the U.S. or its territories, your supplemental may become your primary coverage.  

On 4/8/2023 at 7:11 PM, Ret MP said:

I am a Medicare and TRICARE FOR LIFE (Retired Military Supplemental to Medicare, simply stated) customer.  Medicare doesn't cover anything outside of the U.S. and its Territories, with only a very few exceptions. 

However, I'd check the wording of your Supplement, it may say that if you are traveling outside the U.S. or its territories, your supplemental may become your primary coverage.  

TRICARE For Life works exactly the way you describe, but even though you may think of it as "Supplemental to Medicare", it is not a Medicare Supplement (Medigap) policy.  (In a few situations such as this, it is better than a Medicare Supplement.)

Medicare Supplements are different and you will not find that wording in any of them. They are regulated by law and all plans (of the same letter) provide exactly the same coverage, from all providers.

Medigap Plans C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, M or N:

• Covers foreign travel emergency care if it begins during the first 60 days of your trip, and if Medicare doesn't otherwise cover the care.

• Pays 80% of the billed charges for certain medically necessary emergency care outside the U.S. after you meet a $250 deductible for the year.

Foreign travel emergency coverage with Medigap policies has a lifetime limit of $50,000.

** The only exception is if you live in one of three states (MA, MN, WI) that have there own plans. All 3 states offer plans with foreign emergency travel and the terms are at least as good or better than the plans in the rest of the states.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm probably too late for the OP, but Medicare (with or without a supplement) is considered a primary plan for GeoBlue elegibility.  GeoBlue will process and pay claims as the primary payor!  While they reserve the right, to contact your primary insurance company to coordinate benefits, I have not seen that happen in my limited experience.  I have seen posts on these boards that all say the same thing and Steve at TripInsuranceStore, has told me he has never seen coordination of benefits.  If GeoBlue ever coordinates with my supplement, it will use up some of my $50K lifetime maximum and I will rethink my foreign medical insurance in the future.

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

That's why I said, "Simply Stated".  

My point is no Medicare Supplement has language similar to "if you are traveling outside the U.S. or its territories, your supplement becomes your primary coverage".  So no help for the OP.

If someone has coverage different than Medicare with a Supplement, then by all means they should check their existing plan before purchasing travel medical insurance.  I have seen a lot of employer sponsored plans for retirees (especially from government employers including military) that offer much better foreign travel coverage than a Medicare Supplement. Some Medicare Advantage plans also provide minimal to excellent foreign travel coverage, but the terms and conditions vary widely as they are not standardized like the Medicare Supplements.

4 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

My point is no Medicare Supplement has language similar to "if you are traveling outside the U.S. or its territories, your supplement becomes your primary coverage".  So no help for the OP.

If someone has coverage different than Medicare with a Supplement, then by all means they should check their existing plan before purchasing travel medical insurance.  I have seen a lot of employer sponsored plans for retirees (especially from government employers including military) that offer much better foreign travel coverage than a Medicare Supplement. Some Medicare Advantage plans also provide minimal to excellent foreign travel coverage, but the terms and conditions vary widely as they are not standardized like the Medicare Supplements.

SHM. 

• 6 months later...
On 4/4/2023 at 9:50 AM, laudergayle said:

We use GeoBlue for travel outside the US and we have Medicare.  The way I’ve read the the definition of Primary Plan is that Medicare qualifies.  The statement about coverage limits in excess of $50,000 per incident or per year is related to your coverage within the US. 

Basically, GeoBlue wants you to have good insurance in the US before they will agree to cover you outside of the US.

Phew, good information !  I got very nervous at the suggestion that Medicare is not a qualified primary plan in the eyes of GeoBlue.  But thinking about it, they ask your age and most people over 65 have medicare (I know there are some other routes to coverage) so it would be ridiculous for them not to consider Medicare a qualified primary plan