Harmony Of The Seas Questions About Crowds

We are planning our first cruise in some time. Although we are Diamond and have been on many cruises all but 1 were before kids. ( Went on Oasis with 1 year old ) We are now planning a trip aboard the Harmony. My questions are how are the lines for things like water slides etc? Are the water slides and other such things open while docked in ports? Thanks . 

2 minutes ago, Discount-Eyewear said:

We are planning our first cruise in some time. Although we are Diamond and have been on many cruises all but 1 were before kids. ( Went on Oasis with 1 year old ) We are now planning a trip aboard the Harmony. My questions are how are the lines for things like water slides etc? Are the water slides and other such things open while docked in ports? Thanks . 

Probably depends on when you go. We went in December on Harmony and the lines were very short.  I’m sure summer is very different.  

My recollection is they were open in port.   But this may depend on which slide you are interested in.  The kids splash area was definitely open (small slides that are fun for 3-7 year olds).  I can’t remember on the others.  Remember, there is a height restriction for the bigger water slides and it is quite conservative.  Our 5 year old is not small by any means and a good swimmer, but you have to be 48 inches as I recall so he couldn’t do it.  This area is far from the kids pool area so it made it hard for our 7 year old daughter who also wanted to do the big slides.  Such are the challenges of kids who are big/old enough to do things that the close in age siblings can’t.  

The abyss dry slide was probably closed for parts of the day.   Our 5 year old could at least do that slide.  

4 minutes ago, topnole said:

Probably depends on when you go. We went in December on Harmony and the lines were very short.  I’m sure summer is very different.  

My recollection is they were open in port.   But this may depend on which slide you are interested in.  The kids splash area was definitely open (small slides that are fun for 3-7 year olds).  I can’t remember on the others.  Remember, there is a height restriction for the bigger water slides and it is quite conservative.  Our 5 year old is not small by any means and a good swimmer, but you have to be 48 inches as I recall so he couldn’t do it.  This area is far from the kids pool area so it made it hard for our 7 year old daughter who also wanted to do the big slides.  Such are the challenges of kids who are big/old enough to do things that the close in age siblings can’t.  

The abyss dry slide was probably closed for parts of the day.   Our 5 year old could at least do that slide.  

Thanks. They are 11 and 14 so restrictions wont be a problem. 

1 hour ago, Discount-Eyewear said:

Thanks. They are 11 and 14 so restrictions wont be a problem. 

That’s good.  And at that age they tend to understand and deal with lines better too.  The slides were a lot of fun, enjoy!

2 hours ago, topnole said:

Our 5 year old is not small by any means and a good swimmer, but you have to be 48 inches as I recall so he couldn’t do it.  

That's pretty standard. I've never been to a waterpark (or pool that has good waterslides) that doesn't require you to be 48 inches for the better waterslides.

8 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

That's pretty standard. I've never been to a waterpark (or pool that has good waterslides) that doesn't require you to be 48 inches for the better waterslides.

The ship slides are way smaller than typical water park slides.   Went to an Orlando Hotel with quite a big slide (pretty similar to the size of the ships)  when he was 4 and he was allowed on that one.  He is also allowed on one at a public park near where we live that is probably bigger than the ships slides.  

1 hour ago, topnole said:

The ship slides are way smaller than typical water park slides.   Went to an Orlando Hotel with quite a big slide (pretty similar to the size of the ships)  when he was 4 and he was allowed on that one.  He is also allowed on one at a public park near where we live that is probably bigger than the ships slides.  

All the local public pools or hotel pools that have waterslides near us require the kid to be 48 inches, even on slides smaller than the ship's slides. So this wouldn't make me bat an eye at all. I guess it's all what your experience has been, but 48 inches seems to be a standard at many places.

6 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

All the local public pools or hotel pools that have waterslides near us require the kid to be 48 inches, even on slides smaller than the ship's slides. So this wouldn't make me bat an eye at all. I guess it's all what your experience has been, but 48 inches seems to be a standard at many places.

Interesting as that is different from my experience, although I completely understand the rule.  It may have to do with whether it slides into a pool or not.  The ones I mentioned all end in a pool which is different than Royal.  I saw an adult woman ride the kids slide in the splash zone so I asked the LG if I could and she said it isn’t allowed.  I’m think ok, but you just watched a mom do it.  So in this case I was too big I guess (could slide all the way to the end of the tub causing injury).  My son was disappointed I couldn’t go “with him” once on the slide, but again I completely understand that rule.  I only asked because it was not crowded and I saw that mom do it (and she was about my size).  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Discount-Eyewear said:

Not sure what you C&A status has to do with the lines at the water slides.  Depending on the weather, time of year, there will be lines. Some cruises are particularly children/teen heavy so the lines are longer. 

You will need to check the app for open activities while in port.  They vary.  

If you buy the Key,  there are dedicated times to use some of the facilities, with lower wait times. This might help you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Not sure what you C&A status has to do with the lines at the water slides.  Depending on the weather, time of year, there will be lines. Some cruises are particularly children/teen heavy so the lines are longer. 

You will need to check the app for open activities while in port.  They vary.  

If you buy the Key,  there are dedicated times to use some of the facilities, with lower wait times. This might help you.

It doesn’t have anything to do with water slides , just saying we have been on plenty of cruises and know crowds are part of it but those types of attractions were never an issue since kids were not with us on those cruises. 

• Like 1

Duriing port days they have limited hours like 9-10 in the morning and then reopen again around 2 or so depending on the port times.  Each ship is different you can look on the app for an earlier sailing to see specific times.

And if you go to Coco Cay, slides will be closed much of the day since the lifeguards work the island.  Typical sea day opening is around 11.  You should be able to see hours on current sailings by switching to a current cruise on the app and looking up the activity.  Should be similar to your cruise.

Edited by LeeW
more