How Formal are Formal night on a Alaska Cruise

Eaglecw

We are going to Alaska on the Westerman in June. My husband doesn’t like to wear a suit jacket, he wears a nice shirt and tie. Will this be acceptable attire on Formal night? We've cruised on Princess many times and this has always been acceptable.

Formal nights are as formal as you want to make them.  

Every time we read here that "no one dresses up"..... on Caribbean cruises......, on Mexican Riviera cruises......, Alaska cruises .... we find just the opposite .

Plenty still do, and it is fun. Just nothing mandatory any longer, but no one has taken this fun aspect out of the cruise experience. Enjoy it.

• Like 2

Just to draw a fine point Alaska cruises use gala or dressy nights which don’t require a jacket for the gents.   The grand voyages still have formal nights in addition to the dressy/gala nights where gents are supposed to wear a jacket. 

3 hours ago, Eaglecw said:

We are going to Alaska on the Westerman in June. My husband doesn’t like to wear a suit jacket, he wears a nice shirt and tie. Will this be acceptable attire on Formal night? We've cruised on Princess many times and this has always been acceptable.

As a frequent cruiser to Alaska, I can report that the new guidelines for Dressy Nights maximize comfort.  Last year I counted 12 tuxedos on Dressy Nights, 50% jackets (with or without ties), and 50% just polo shirts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eaglecw said:

On our Alaska in September less than half wore a jacket on formal nights, so it's completely up to you. Do whatever you're comfortable with. I think there were probably more men wearing jackets but no ties than the other way around, but maybe that's just because that's what I did!

Last summer. Me: black pants dressy top.

Husband: sport jacket. Dress shirt

everyone else: everything in between.

No judgements.

note: if you are going on the Denali option, very casual every night on the land portion!

My husband wore a nice dress shirt, dress Dockers pants, and leather loafers.  I wore a cocktail dress, wrap and sling back pumps.  Saw a few jackets, but not many.  You will see others that dress smart casual on gala night.  As others said, wear what makes feel good.  

Alaska tends to be a little less dressy,. I think it's due to the extra clothes you have to pack because of the weather & temperatures. That said, if you do want to dress to the nines, you won't be out of place. You'll also be fine if you want to dress to the fives or the sevens. If you dress to the threes (shorts) you will be out of place. The twos (swimsuit & cover up) and the ones (swimsuit only) are inappropriate - and entirely too cold. Nobody wants to see you dressed to the zeroes with all the dangly bits hanging out. People will likely call security. (Like & Follow for more stupid tips!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 8