Aft cabins, Adventure of the Seas

For the most part, it looks like the balconies in the aft cabins are considerably larger, but are they at least partially covered? I can't tell. Which deck is best for aft cabins?

Your opinions please......

We recently sailed on another cruiseship in an aft cabin in the western caribbean and found out that there is no sea breeze on the back of the ship. Ships usually have the bow facing into the wind--especially when anchoring offshore. On the back of the ship, we had no wind to cool us off. Our balcony was so hot that we couldn't stand sitting until the sun went down. Looks like midship cabins for our future cruises.

I would book an aft cabin again if sailing from NY, Boston, or the west coast where the ocean is cooler and the temps are much lower than the caribbean.

Hope you enjoy your cruise and your aft cabin.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

We had an aft on Celebrity last spring and liked it so much, we have booked an aft on Adventurer, Deck 10, JS, sailing on 3/26. If you can wait til we get back, I'll let you know. Ours on Celebrity was partially covered. There was not a lot of breeze, but enough that we didn't suffer. I would take an aft and the space anyday. When do you sail??

Becky

We were in corner aft cabin 7388 last June on the AOS. The balcony is huge and almost completely shaded. We did have breezes, especially through the porthole. It was wonderful. I won't be sailing voyager class without getting one of the corner cabins. I'll just have to plan 12-18 months in advance. :D

We were in corner aft cabin 7388 last June on the AOS. The balcony is huge and almost completely shaded. We did have breezes, especially through the porthole. It was wonderful. I won't be sailing voyager class without getting one of the corner cabins. I'll just have to plan 12-18 months in advance. :D
Mirror image - we were just in 7688. It was great.

Voyager class aft cabin/balcony pictures

My understanding from the research I've done on Voyager class aft cabins (I haven't actually sailed in one - yet!) is that there is more structural obstructions the lower the deck. Also on deck 6 is a crew area. Look at the deck plans (and pictures in link above). There is a large area between the aft balconies and the back of the ship. This is an area where the crew hangs out when taking breaks. I'm not sure if this interferes with the view from/enjoyment of the balcony but it might be something you want to be aware of.

I've seen rave reviews on the D1 corner afts on deck 10 (1388 & 1688). I'm leaning towards 1694 or 1394 myself (mid-aft JS's on deck 10) since there are no corner aft JS's (my personal preference) on Voyager class.

To the OP - yes, the aft balconies are larger. Yes, they are partially covered. See photos in link above. My opinion is the higher the deck, the better.

I was able to book Aft Balcony 7688 on the 9/17 Mariner YESTERDAY! I was so surprised they had anything on the aft available.

I agree with the others. From looking at the photos, I would not get an aft balcony on deck 8 because there is no privacy. You can be seen from at least deck 9.

My first choice would be the afts on deck 10. They seemed to have less obstruction. My second choice was either 7688 or 7388. Although they are lower, the balconies are very large for a D1 cabin and you have a big porthole to look through with no obstruction as well as looking out the back. My third would have been on deck nine just because people on deck 8 can see you, but they have to look up to see you..

I was able to book Aft Balcony 7688 on the 9/17 Mariner YESTERDAY! I was so surprised they had anything on the aft available.

I agree with the others. From looking at the photos, I would not get an aft balcony on deck 8 because there is no privacy. You can be seen from at least deck 9.

My first choice would be the afts on deck 10. They seemed to have less obstruction. My second choice was either 7688 or 7388. Although they are lower, the balconies are very large for a D1 cabin and you have a big porthole to look through with no obstruction as well as looking out the back. My third would have been on deck nine just because people on deck 8 can see you, but they have to look up to see you..

The corner cabins on decks 6 thru 9 are E1 and not D1, so they are cheaper. We had 2 adults and 1 teen in 7388 and were just fine. The view of the wake was not blocked in my opinion by the superstructure, plus you have the porthole and side view. Deck 6 would not be pleasant. Deck 8 and 9 may have fewer obstructions but the balconies are smaller. 7th deck was perfect.

We had 1688 booked for Navigator in September, then we changed it from 3 people to 2 people and RCI called us and said we had to move, that 2 people weren't allowed to use 1688. We were disappointed but got 9690 corner aft. The balcony is smaller but we wanted to be aft.

If you have two people, 7th deck is best. 3 or more, go for the corner D1 1388 or 1688 on deck 10.

We are also in 7388 on May 13th on the Mariner. When I return, we will show you the pictures:D

Yes, please do!!!!

I found some pics of 7388 on the Explorer:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/192732222/1192739094051717522cryrRL

Keep paging through as there are many more in the album. Looks great!

Has anyone stayed in cabin 1688 on the Navigator with just 2 people?

I've read here that some have, but I guess it depends on how full the ship is and how diligent they are about monitoring it. The D1 corner cabins are not meant for 2 people. I was afraid that if I waited until right before final payment to change from 3 to 2 people that they would make me move and I would be stuck choosing a cabin I didn't want.

We are not going until late 2007, but I want the cabin decisions made and then will try to book the first day it opens so we will get the best cabin.

aprille - Thanks for the pic of the aft cabins. Very helpful!

Leafpeeper - Do you think it will be too warm in an aft in Caribbean in December? I think average temps are low 80's in day time.

Skitter and ruskatab - Did they let you book 7388/7688 with 2 people or do you have 3?

Texasmom - How dissappointing that they made you move from 1688. How did you like 9690. Do you have photos you can share?

Everyone - Thanks for providing information based on your research. All is very helpful. I think 7388/7688 would be my first choice.

I was asking as my friend and her husband have that cabin booked (1688) or the other side (1388)for just the two of them and they booked that one specifically- hope they don't try to "surprise" them and move them- like said above it must have something to do with capacity control also, I think there cruise is not until the beginning of 2007-

I have sailed with only 2 in coveted corner aft JS's on Rhapsody, Vision and will do so soon (not soon enough! :p) on Radiance. These cabins accommodate up to 4 people. I have heard of rare cases of people getting bumped out of cabins so they can be given to larger parties. It's certainly not the norm. And I hope it never happens to me!

Once when I booked 8088 on Rhapsody (later cancelled) the RCCL rep told me I couldn't book that cabin with 2 people. (Mind you, this was 18 months out.) I told him I had been in that cabin with 2 before. He fumbled around and figured out a way to let me book it. :rolleyes:

I suggest to anyone told a certain cabin (I'm mainly thinking of JS & D1 categories here) can't be booked with only 2 people to ask to speak to someone else. But then I always book WAY in advance. They can probably control how many people per cabin based on ship capacity at time of booking (or when changing # of people already booked).

We are not going until late 2007, but I want the cabin decisions made and then will try to book the first day it opens so we will get the best cabin.

aprille - Thanks for the pic of the aft cabins. Very helpful!

Leafpeeper - Do you think it will be too warm in an aft in Caribbean in December? I think average temps are low 80's in day time.

Skitter and ruskatab - Did they let you book 7388/7688 with 2 people or do you have 3?

Texasmom - How dissappointing that they made you move from 1688. How did you like 9690. Do you have photos you can share?

Everyone - Thanks for providing information based on your research. All is very helpful. I think 7388/7688 would be my first choice.

We haven't sailed in 9690 yet - September. I booked in August and changed the reservation in September. My TA called me back immediately and told me that RCI would not let me stay in that cabin. If I had known that I could work my way around it, I would have had my TA fight harder. Knowledge is good for next time!

WOW! I am so excited now, that balcony looks great. We only booked 2 in the Balcony. I think maybe because its an E1 they allow 2. I booked our cabin on March 1st and was shocked to see an aft cabin available. I thought it must be a mistake so I booked immediately. Im wondering if someone had just cancelled. I also had a 125 C&A coupon for that sailing and the TA I used was offering 150 off an oceanview or higher so I got a great rate. Thank to all who shared their pictures and comments!

The corner cabins on decks 6 thru 9 are E1 and not D1, so they are cheaper. We had 2 adults and 1 teen in 7388 and were just fine. The view of the wake was not blocked in my opinion by the superstructure, plus you have the porthole and side view. Deck 6 would not be pleasant. Deck 8 and 9 may have fewer obstructions but the balconies are smaller. 7th deck was perfect.

We had 1688 booked for Navigator in September, then we changed it from 3 people to 2 people and RCI called us and said we had to move, that 2 people weren't allowed to use 1688. We were disappointed but got 9690 corner aft. The balcony is smaller but we wanted to be aft.

If you have two people, 7th deck is best. 3 or more, go for the corner D1 1388 or 1688 on deck 10.

You are correct that RCI only allows 3 people not two in 1688. My daughter and I had it back in 2003 no questions asked. This time though RCI initally said no for the reason they gave you. Our T/A did some string pulling which I don't know what he did. Anyway we, my daughter and I now have 1688 for ourselves. Not going to say who I went through but i'll assuredly use him again. We had originally booked the cabin back in May. To hold the cabin we told them that there were three people, the thrid person to be announced. When the price of the cabin was slashed the T/A called and told him that there would only be two in the cabin. That's when he did his magic.

Ron

That's weird: we have 1688 booked (directly through rccl representative) for 2 people on the Adventure in early May, and they didn't give us any trouble...

This is our 5th/6th respectively, and first in an aft. Can't wait to see what the excitement is all about!

As I stated previously in this thread, I think it depends on who you talk to whether you can book 2 people in some of these cabins. Unless this is a very new policy they are trying to implement. I have never had a problem booking 2 into coveted corner aft JS on 3 cruises (all of these cabins accommodate 4).

Once I was told I couldn't book a specific cabin with 2. I told the RCCL rep that I had stayed in that very cabin previously with 2 and he fumbled around and figured out how to book it for me. I later cancelled this cruise but the point is I was able to book with 2 people.

As I suggested before, if you are told you can't book a specific cabin with 2 people, hang up and call back or ask to speak with someone else.

Minorhawk, We will be next door in 1394, but I'll pass the word!! Maybe I'll just stay on board to make sure you make it to your cabin OK. I mean, if you missed your plane or something, it would be a shame for that room to sit empty for a week.

Becky

Archived