Malta - private tour vs DIY

We will be in Malta end of May. We have a full day there including not departure until 11:00p. Originally we were traveling with friends and booked a private tour. Current situation is just the two of us. In thinking further on this choice, I am wondering if it might be just as easy to determine the areas we want to explore and catch a cab at the times we are ready to move on to the next place. How easy would this be to do and what are your thoughts on this?  While we do enjoy private tours, we also enjoy just being by ourselves moving at our own pace - thanks in advance 

3 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We will be in Malta end of May. We have a full day there including not departure until 11:00p. Originally we were traveling with friends and booked a private tour. Current situation is just the two of us. In thinking further on this choice, I am wondering if it might be just as easy to determine the areas we want to explore and catch a cab at the times we are ready to move on to the next place. How easy would this be to do and what are your thoughts on this?  While we do enjoy private tours, we also enjoy just being by ourselves moving at our own pace - thanks in advance 

I visited Malta in 2009, so a long time ago.  But I bet this is still true....   Many taxis were waiting in a line at the port.  There was a tent set up as you walk off the ship with a person answering questions about taxi usage.  You could tell that person what you wanted to see and they suggested a timeframe to accomplish it.  You can, of course, agree with that or adjust as desired.  I paid the person in that tent and they filled out a slip of paper indicating how much I had paid and where I wanted to go.  I was told to present that paper to the first taxi in the line.  My 2 parents and I did just that and got in a nice taxi with a driver and off we went.  He took us to all of our stops and just waited until we finished the visit.  Then on to the next stop.  He suggested we add in a stop to the Presidential Gardens, since we had time.  So we did.  I would skip that if visiting again, however.  Our driver was a nice gentleman who spoke good English and was talkative.  We mostly talked about life in Malta and not so much about the sites themselves.  He was not presented as a tour guide... just a driver.  But we were very pleased with the experience.

At that time, I think we purchased 3 or 4 hours for 65 euros or so.  I'm sure prices have risen over the last decade.  At the end of our time, he dropped us at the top of town near the bus terminal and we then walked into town and explored that portion on our own on foot.  That part was very easy to do.  We gradually walked down a bunch of steps back to the ship.  There is now an elevator to go down more quickly if you want.  I suppose the taxi driver could have taken us back to the ship if we asked.  He did not drive us around central Valletta.  That, you can do on your own.  We did not have to pay anything else to the driver.  However, we tipped him an additional amount, which he appreciated, I think.

We visited Mdina, Rabat Catacombs (which turned out to be closed that day), Mosta Dome, Presidential Gardens and perhaps one more place that I no longer recall. 

According to the port's website...

"A booking office is available on the Valletta Waterfront promenade providing taxi services and tours at established rates."

https://www.vallettacruiseport.com/transportation-and-parking

Something to look into.  Good luck to you.  We enjoyed our day in Malta very much.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for your reply and these details, as well as the link in will explore it further and it may answer these questions. We are very much looking forward to Malta. We had already planned to explore Valletta on our own so thank you for confirming that choice.
 Mdina is a must. I have read that heading there first or late is the best. Did you happen to notice that there were other cabs available there when you finished - not sure that I would have had I a waiting cab.
I just wonder if you can take a cab there, then whenever you fancy moving on - if there are cabs available to catch at these sites so that you can make the experience as long at each place as you want (since we have so much time there compared to many port visits). 
I think a question is - not knowing how long you had in port - if you had more time to explore outside of Valletta would you have?  Particularly Mdina? 

I am sure the prices are much higher - the full day private tour is good pricing for four, but not sure that I want to do that for two. I don’t want to cancel at the last minute if we decide to do so. Thanks again! 

Edited by Vineyard View

We went to Mdina as our first stop and it was quite early in the morning. No commercial establishments were open even if I recall.  And there were very few people on the streets.  So it was quite nice to just walk around and get our photos and enjoy the views.  The Cathedral was open and we were able to go inside to see that.  When we came out our taxi driver was waiting right where he told us he would be and I seem to recall he was talking to another taxi driver in the same location.  But I don't recall there being a line of them or anything like that.  But maybe.  That other driver could have been waiting for his group too.  

This was how it was at each of our stops.  But, admittedly, I wan't looking for taxis.  So I really don't know if they were at each location or not.  

We did not have nearly as long as you do in port.  I estimate we were back on the ship by 4pm or so.  If we had more time, I would definitely have liked to have visited the Hypogeum (advance tickets required).  We spent about 60 minutes in Mdina, I think.  To be honest, that seemed about right for my group.  We are not shoppers.  It wasn't meal time.  We don't just sit and drink a glass of wine and watch the world go by.  So we moved on.  Since you have so much time, I would definitely try to hit more places outside Valleta.  But do save enough time for Valleta itself.  I think we spent about 3 hours in Valletta before starting the walk to the ship.  We did not take the time to explore the Baraka Gardens and its views.  I would probably like to do that next time.

Maybe post on TripAdvisor about taxi availability on Malta.  

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I stayed in Valletta for five days in 2019 and while we had the advantage of not being rushed to see anything we did all our sightseeing by local bus. Obviously in a one day port stop you can't go everywhere by bus but you could combine a trip to Mdina by bus in the morning with an afternoon spent in the old city itself which has plenty to see and do. The St John's Co-Cathedral is amazing and the Upper and Lower Baraka Gardens are lovely with great views over the harbour. You could also get the ferry from Valletta across the harbour to the Three Cities area which is a great area to walk around to see the laneways and forts. 

If you do a taxi tour you could consider going to Mdina, the Blue Grotto where you get in a small boat to cruise through the rock formation or Marsaxlokk a lovely fishing village before returning to Valletta to explore on your own.

Mdina

IMG20190610132828.thumb.jpg.f65f45fdf09fa0da116745bc5e6d18fc.jpg

Blue Grotto

IMG20190610103413.thumb.jpg.63bfdd6bee6f90a91436bb21c163657e.jpg

Marsaxlokk

IMG20190611100941.thumb.jpg.ffe6f2911e4bd6705f4b2fff48ad1ce6.jpg

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 2

In Mdina there is a sort of traffic circle in front of the main gate. Each time I’ve been there it seems there was plenty of availability of taxis. And failing that, there are frequent public bus departures that will get you back to Valletta.

However, there may be other spots on the island where taxi availability is less.

I don’t know what you’re planning for your time, but one really unique site in Valletta is the prehistoric underground Hypogeum. I’ve not seen anything like it in my travels. Due to preservation concerns, they only allow so many people in at regular intervals; reservations are a must. Google Hal Saflieni hypogeum for info.

There are several other interesting prehistoric sites on the island, as well as a small but nicely done Archaeological Museum in Valletta near other main sites such as the Co-Cathedral and the Grand Master’s Palace.

Thank you both very much. I have added your site recommends to my list to research. I’ve only had time to briefly look at a few suggestions and I am even more excited about our visit. 
With our long port stay available I do want to take the time to watch the world go by with a glass of wine and a bite - maybe not lengthy as a land trip would allow, but a taste of that is important for us. I just would prefer to visit these sites at our own pace, which could limit how many we get to - so I better start researching to prioritize! 
I will check over on TA regarding taxi service at some of these sites. Good suggestion. 

• 5 months later...

Good info here, we will be visiting next July, in Valletta port from 7AM to 1PM so a whirlwind tour is in store. Thinking the best bet is grab a taxi for 5 hours first thing and head to Mdina then Ghar Lapsi to snorkel a bit, visit Mnajdra / Hagar / Blue Grotto and back to Hypogeum. The archeological sites all open at 10AM which makes the whirlwind even more challenging. Is that possible? Any other ideas?

On 9/20/2023 at 5:37 PM, kenny said:

in Valletta port from 7AM to 1PM so a whirlwind tour is in store. Thinking the best bet is grab a taxi for 5 hours first thing

This is a short stop for Valletta, really only a few hours  or half a day so I do think your timing is tight for your quite ambitious (IMHO) plans.   Of course that is only my own opinion and others may disagree. To find out, you could consider starting your own thread detailing your timings and plans and asking for opinions  as. a new thread would attract more attention than your current post added to a thread asking for opinions of a private tour V DIYing.

Arrival 0700 will likely mean not getting ashore until 0730 by the time the ship is cleared, gangways and ship pass machines and security staff in position. etc. Of course it may be faster than that, but maybe not.  And a 1300 hour departure means passengers should be back on board  at least 30 minutes before that departure time, but for peace of mind you might want to allow longer than that, say 45 or 60 minutes depending on your personal risk level.

So your 0700 arrival is maybe more like 0730 and your back onboard time ideally no later than 1230, meaning your free time is more like an absolute maximum of five hours gangway to gangway and you have suggested that you would hire a taxi for those 5 hours. I don't see any margin for error in your proposed itinerary.. 

By that I mean do you have a "Plan B" in case of traffic delays or taxi breakdown or puncture or any other eventuality which might delay your return to the point your ship has sailed without you?

In forming a "Plan B" you should remember that Malta is an island, and missing the ship would involve either a flight or a ferry to the next port, wherever that may be.  Not trying to scare you, only advising that for peace of mind, some tweaking of your plans may be the sensible thing to do.                                                    

Edited by edinburgher

On 4/5/2023 at 2:32 PM, MeHeartCruising said:

I visited Malta in 2009, so a long time ago.  But I bet this is still true....   Many taxis were waiting in a line at the port.  There was a tent set up as you walk off the ship with a person answering questions about taxi usage.  You could tell that person what you wanted to see and they suggested a timeframe to accomplish it.  You can, of course, agree with that or adjust as desired.  I paid the person in that tent and they filled out a slip of paper indicating how much I had paid and where I wanted to go.  I was told to present that paper to the first taxi in the line.  My 2 parents and I did just that and got in a nice taxi with a driver and off we went.  He took us to all of our stops and just waited until we finished the visit.  Then on to the next stop.  He suggested we add in a stop to the Presidential Gardens, since we had time.  So we did.  I would skip that if visiting again, however.  Our driver was a nice gentleman who spoke good English and was talkative.  We mostly talked about life in Malta and not so much about the sites themselves.  He was not presented as a tour guide... just a driver.  But we were very pleased with the experience.

At that time, I think we purchased 3 or 4 hours for 65 euros or so.  I'm sure prices have risen over the last decade.  At the end of our time, he dropped us at the top of town near the bus terminal and we then walked into town and explored that portion on our own on foot.  That part was very easy to do.  We gradually walked down a bunch of steps back to the ship.  There is now an elevator to go down more quickly if you want.  I suppose the taxi driver could have taken us back to the ship if we asked.  He did not drive us around central Valletta.  That, you can do on your own.  We did not have to pay anything else to the driver.  However, we tipped him an additional amount, which he appreciated, I think.

We visited Mdina, Rabat Catacombs (which turned out to be closed that day), Mosta Dome, Presidential Gardens and perhaps one more place that I no longer recall. 

According to the port's website...

"A booking office is available on the Valletta Waterfront promenade providing taxi services and tours at established rates."

https://www.vallettacruiseport.com/transportation-and-parking

Something to look into.  Good luck to you.  We enjoyed our day in Malta very much.

Such a great link! Thank you, has allowed us to rethink our plans this upcoming Riviera cruise end of October. We are not familiar with Malta, have been reading about it, but this helped put resources together! Thank you

• Like 1