Fjords: coming and going from the ship

Thetis22

New to cruising (have only done the Transatlantic crossing before) and we're booked on H415 Queen Anne Norwegian Fjords cruise June '24. The ports are Bergen, Flaam, Olden and Haugesund. I'm trying to get my head around the 'getting on and off the ship' part! Can anyone tell me which of these stops will be tenders, vs. which we can just walk off (and presumably back on again, as and when we feel like it?). If one disembarks by tender, are there frequent tenders back and forth so you can come back to the ship for lunch if you want? (we'll be Queens Grill, if that makes any difference). Thanks

Bergen and Flam are definitely not tenders and you can walk on and off the ship. Depending on where the ship docks in Bergen you might need a shuttle bus to get into city centre. Definitely not required in Flamm as you dock right in the middle of the town.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thetis22 said:

New to cruising (have only done the Transatlantic crossing before) and we're booked on H415 Queen Anne Norwegian Fjords cruise June '24. The ports are Bergen, Flaam, Olden and Haugesund. I'm trying to get my head around the 'getting on and off the ship' part! Can anyone tell me which of these stops will be tenders, vs. which we can just walk off (and presumably back on again, as and when we feel like it?). If one disembarks by tender, are there frequent tenders back and forth so you can come back to the ship for lunch if you want? (we'll be Queens Grill, if that makes any difference). Thanks

Am on the same cruise, but slumming it in PG - again having only done a TA on QM2.

I thought Flamm was dock or tender depending how many ships (I think there is one other ship currently scheduled on 26/6/24 (Silver Dawn, 691 passengers max)

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/flam-port-1361?tab=schedule&month=2024-06#schedule

Olden we are by ourselves (at the moment) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Am on the same cruise, but slumming it in PG - again having only done a TA on QM2.

I thought Flamm was dock or tender depending how many ships (I think there is one other ship currently scheduled on 26/6/24 (Silver Dawn, 691 passengers max)

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/flam-port-1361?tab=schedule&month=2024-06#schedule

Olden we are by ourselves (at the moment) 

I think we've tendered once in Flamm, the rest of our visits have been docked. A floating boardwalk would be such fun instead of tendering.

This is assuming Cunard ships will be able to access the Sognefjord  and then Aurlandsfjord.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I think we've tendered once in Flamm, the rest of our visits have been docked. A floating boardwalk would be such fun instead of tendering.

This is assuming Cunard ships will be able to access the Sognefjord  and then Aurlandsfjord.

Hopefully if there's only room for one the QA pulls rank (size) over Silver Dawn...

Fingers crossed just the two ships so there is room on the train...

• Like 1

I have been to all of these ports, some many times. I have never tendered at any of them, though I believe it could happen at Flam or Olden if there are other ships in. Both of these have room for one ship alongside. 

Whether you need a shuttle in Bergen depends on where you are docked. We have docked in three different places. However, I have walked into town from all of the docks, and I am not a big walker! The nearest is really quite close to the centre.

I cant remember if there was a shuttle for Haugesund. We definitely walked into the town, but have only been there once.

• Like 1

Olden, when not alongside for the day, we docked to allow passengers off, then moved to anchor as another ship moored up. Tenders were used and then we moved in for passengers to walk onto the ship. Perfect scenario when more than one ship is there.

• Like 1