Questions from NCL Newbie

ILgirl

I am an experienced cruiser but this TA on the Getaway from Port Canaveral is my first NCL cruise.  Thx in advance for your patience with me and your help in answering my questions!

1) I will be renting a car from the FL west coast and dropping it off in Cape Canaveral prior to boarding.  To assist in timing, are boarding times selected at check in approximately 21 days before or is a time randomly assigned by NCL?  Ship departs at 6pm.  When would boarding begin?

2) it looks like I can book most specialty restaurants in advance but there are some that you cannot book?  Are those booked only onboard?  I am a solo but it looks like I can only book for a party of two?

3) is there a standard schedule for the NCL showtimes so I can plan my dining accordingly?

4) Any recommendations and/or must does for restaurants, activities etc. are welcome!

Thx so much!

1. You select your check-in time at the pier during check-in 21 days in advance of sailing. This is the time you arrive at the pier, not actual boarding time. The earlier you check-in, the better chances of getting an early time. Most ships board sometime between 11 AM and 12 PM, so if you select a 9 AM boarding time, you may wait in a crowded terminal for two to three hours. We do this, but you may not want to. 

2. Some are unable to be booked online, such as Food Republic (oops, no Food Republic on Getaway). You can book them onboard. Be sure to book your cover charge restaurants first (Moderno, Teppanyaki), then any a la carte restaurants. If you don't, the system will force you to pay the cover charge, even though your Free at Sea/dining package would cover it onboard. Book for a party of two. You'll receive a two top anyway. 

3. No, but the entertainment schedule (for Million Dollar Quartet, at least) will come out 26 days in advance. Haven, and some Latitude tiers can book entertainment 26 days in advance. If you're neither, then you can book at 21 days in advance.

4. Shanghai Noodle Bar! It is phenomenal! The wait time sucks. Go for lunch on the first sea day when the wait won't be as long. I'd advise you get in line thirty minutes prior to opening (most likely 11:30 for a noon opening). I love the show "Broadway Unplugged." The Million Dollar Quartet cast performs Broadway songs in a different style than the original songs. I'll probably think of more later! 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 2

I will add this.  I am from Tampa (on the west coast) and the journey after you pick up your car will most likely take you to interstate 4.  It will take you through the Orlando area.  Traffic is very heavy there and you may want to leave very early or find a different route.  All it takes is an accident and you can be sitting for hours.  .

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

1. You select your check-in time at the pier during check-in 21 days in advance of sailing. This is the time you arrive at the pier, not actual boarding time. The earlier you check-in, the better chances of getting an early time. Most ships board sometime between 11 AM and 12 PM, so if you select a 9 AM boarding time, you may wait in a crowded terminal for two to three hours. We do this, but you may not want to. 

If your ship is departing at 6PM, most depart at 4PM,  you maybe waiting in the terminal for  a very long time (4-5 hours) if  you arrive at 0900.  

23 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

If your ship is departing at 6PM, most depart at 4PM,  you maybe waiting in the terminal for  a very long time (4-5 hours) if  you arrive at 0900.  

Even if departure is 6pm, boarding usually starts at 11:30ish.  I have been on cruises that depart at 9pm and was onboard by noon eating lunch. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Boarding starts at around midday regardless of departure time.

47 minutes ago, ILgirl said:

I am an experienced cruiser but this TA on the Getaway from Port Canaveral is my first NCL cruise.  Thx in advance for your patience with me and your help in answering my questions!

1) I will be renting a car from the FL west coast and dropping it off in Cape Canaveral prior to boarding.  To assist in timing, are boarding times selected at check in approximately 21 days before or is a time randomly assigned by NCL?  Ship departs at 6pm.  When would boarding begin?

On Day 21, 12 midnight eastern time, online check-in will open. You need your passport, contact information, emergency contact information, a photo (face on to camera, no glasses, no headcovering, plain background - essentially a passport photo or mugshot). You will be asked what time you would like to arrive at the port. Normally starting around 9:30 am and every half hour after that.

Suites and priority boarding start around 11:00 am. General boarding starts around 11:30 am. When you check in at the port, you will be assigned a boarding group (first come first serve) and board in that order. 

We normally try to drop our car around 9:30ish and take the car rental shuttle to the port. 

2) it looks like I can book most specialty restaurants in advance but there are some that you cannot book?  Are those booked only onboard?  I am a solo but it looks like I can only book for a party of two?

Specialty restaurant bookings opened 120 days prior to departure (2/3/2023) (130 for suites 1/24/2023) . If some restaurants do not have availability or only late times, you have waited too long and they are sold out. Yes, book for 2. 

3) is there a standard schedule for the NCL showtimes so I can plan my dining accordingly?

No. You are on a one-off cruise so that has a unique show schedule. Exactly 21 days prior to departure (26 days for suites) you can log on at 12 midnight and make reservations for the main theater shows (Million Dollar Quartet and Burn the Floor). On embarkation day, head directly to Headliners (Deck 6 Mid-Ship) to book comedy shows and across the hall to Teppanyaki (Deck 6 Mid-Ship) to make/adjust specialty dining reservations. 

4) Any recommendations and/or must does for restaurants, activities etc. are welcome!

This is a relaxing cruise. We normally start our day with a buffet breakfast, then do some slow walking laps on the Waterfront (Deck 8). The walk requires you to cut through the forward and aft elevator lobbies. Then get a drink and park on the Waterfront (all weather permitting) and do some reading. 

Restaurants: Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, Teppanyaki, Moderno, Cagneys (in that order for us). We normally eat in Wasbi for lunch (just a few items). And we will go to the complimentary Shanghai for a change from the MDR. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

How could I? I forgot to mention the thermal suite! I would highly suggest you try to secure a thermal suite pass prior to the cruise. Check your NCL.com account now to do it....well, if you love heat, water, and making your muscles feel like jell-o. The thermal suite (to me) is an incredible perk of Getaway. I missed it on my most recent cruise aboard Joy (the sundeck was nice).

The thermal suite has lovely heated ceramic loungers, a sauna, sanarium, salt room, steam room, and heated pool with water jets that make me blush. There's also a hot tub and loungers, along with infused water/tea/oranges available. 

Typically, the thermal suite is open from 8 AM - 10 PM (closes at 8 PM on last night) and is a great place just to relax and enjoy the benefits of water and heat. 

Here's a couple photos of Getaway's thermal suite, close to closing time. 

20220419_194956.thumb.jpg.ec1b651c4ad125aca1cddeec75844579.jpg

20220419_195017.thumb.jpg.818efd8fc5db44917fbba9e6f41f90d2.jpg

This begs a question.  It looks like booking the shows and online check in start at the same time for most of us (21 days out, midnight ET).  

Which should take the priority, especially if one isn't diehard set on having the earliest boarding time possible?

1 hour ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

This begs a question.  It looks like booking the shows and online check in start at the same time for most of us (21 days out, midnight ET).  

Which should take the priority, especially if one isn't diehard set on having the earliest boarding time possible?

I would book the shows first.  Remember, Platinum and above and some room classes have already had a five day head start.  Besides, booking the shows takes only a minute or two, while the checkin process can take ten to fifteen minutes.  Also, despite the earliest check ins getting the earliest port arrival times, we haven't heard of anybody actually checking those times at the terminal for a long time.

• Like 1

When you are dropping off your rental car in Port Canaveral, bear in mind that many (all?) of the rental locations are a few miles south of the port. So you'll need to drop off the car, and then have the rental company shuttle you up to the ship. We did this in January, and it was a zoo - there were multiple ships in port, and so there were lots of people at the rental office waiting for a van to take them to their ship. You'll want to plan plenty of time between dropping off the car and actually getting to the pier.

• Like 1

I was told by someone who works for Norwegian that they only release 20% of the restaurant reservations ahead of sailing. If there are restaurants you want or times you want and they aren't available, once you board find out where the restaurant reservations are made, sometimes near guest services, sometimes set up in a restaurant or comedy club.  You can add, remove, change them there. Later you can also adjust them online on your cabin tv, on screens near elevators or asking at a restaurant. 

1 hour ago, genealogyfan said:

I was told by someone who works for Norwegian that they only release 20% of the restaurant reservations ahead of sailing. If there are restaurants you want or times you want and they aren't available, once you board find out where the restaurant reservations are made, sometimes near guest services, sometimes set up in a restaurant or comedy club.  You can add, remove, change them there. Later you can also adjust them online on your cabin tv, on screens near elevators or asking at a restaurant. 

The haven concierge told me the same thing.

There is really no reason to get up at midnight to do the checkin or arrive at the port hours before boarding.  

Edited by RocketMan275

There is certainly a large proportion of meal reservations held back (although people have been told varying percentages by staff, so the actual amount isn’t known). We have never had any problem making reservations on embarkation day.

6 hours ago, wil e coyote said:

When you are dropping off your rental car in Port Canaveral, bear in mind that many (all?) of the rental locations are a few miles south of the port. So you'll need to drop off the car, and then have the rental company shuttle you up to the ship. We did this in January, and it was a zoo - there were multiple ships in port, and so there were lots of people at the rental office waiting for a van to take them to their ship. You'll want to plan plenty of time between dropping off the car and actually getting to the pier.

There is a rental car facility located at Port Canaveral for some companies.  We are supposed to return our scheduled Enterprise rental there.  

54 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

There is a rental car facility located at Port Canaveral for some companies.  We are supposed to return our scheduled Enterprise rental there.  

We rent from National and they share a facility with Enterprise. It is next to the port and has shuttle service going out to all of the ships (make sure you're on the right shuttle, else end up on a Carnival ship 😞)

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We rent from National and they share a facility with Enterprise. It is next to the port and has shuttle service going out to all of the ships (make sure you're on the right shuttle, else end up on a Carnival ship 😞)

Yikes!  We must make it to the right ship and HAVEN for this cruise😉

(it's a rare Haven cruise for us, then back to those Club Balconies)

• Like 1

If the reservations mentioned open up 12MN Eastern time, do folks on Pacific time have to wait 12MN their time or can they book starting 9PM (which would account for the 3 hour difference)? 

3 minutes ago, Bkmat said:

If the reservations mentioned open up 12MN Eastern time, do folks on Pacific time have to wait 12MN their time or can they book starting 9PM (which would account for the 3 hour difference)? 

9 PM Pacific

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 9:11 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Be sure to book your cover charge restaurants first (Moderno, Teppanyaki), then any a la carte restaurants. If you don't, the system will force you to pay the cover charge, even though your Free at Sea/dining package would cover it onboard.

This begs the question from this n00b, specifically with the Prima.  Which restaurants are the cover charge restaurants,  and which ones are the a la carte?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

This begs the question from this n00b, specifically with the Prima.  Which restaurants are the cover charge restaurants,  and which ones are the a la carte?

The only restaurants that have a fixed charge are Moderno (not on the Prima) and Teppanyaki/Hazuki (Hazuki is on the Prima).

• Thanks 1