check in with minors

periatza34

So we decided to get our 15 and 5 year old passport cards instead of passports and the 16 year old a full passport.  We got the 16 year old's passport in the mail two weeks ago.  We still dont have the passport cards and we sail out in 16 days. I think we will have the cards by the time we sail, but I'm not sure the birth certificates will be mailed back in time.  the 15 year old has a different last name than my wife and I.  Without that birth certificate, will they take my wife's word that he is her son with the passport card?  Do I have to go and buy new birth certificates now?  What really is the point of the passport card if I still need to travel with their birth certificates?  

Also, when doing online check in, I checked 4 of us in early in the morning and was able to get 9:30-10 check in time.  I wasnt able to check in the 5th till later in the day and was only able to get 10-10:30 check in time for him.  They can't assume a minor is going to check in 30 minutes later than the rest of the family?  I have only cruised two other times and with no minors before so I can't really remember how the process goes.  Am I just being too worried?  Last thing I want to do is fly all the way down there and get denied boarding.

I do not have experience cruising with a child, however a child may use the birth certificate in lieu of a passport/passport card/other WHTI docs. That means a child could use only  a passport card. You wouldn't need the birth certificate if your kid has a passport card. 

Notice the "or" statement:

image.png.8d2d40db2e3cbd3cb47cd03590b86cd6.png

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

22 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I do not have experience cruising with a child, however a child may use the birth certificate in lieu of a passport/passport card/other WHTI docs. That means a child could use only  a passport card. You wouldn't need the birth certificate if your kid has a passport card. 

I believe part of the concern is that they don't have the birth certificate because it was sent in with the passport card application.  And the supporting documents are sent back separately.

Hopefully something will come back in time!

Edited by julig22

Do you have any other documents that would show a link between your wife and the 15 year old? Maybe a marriage license, divorce decree, or court order showing that they once had the same last name (if that is, indeed, the case)?

For more info about traveling with a child that does not have the same last name, see: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2931

As for the check in times, I don't think you should have a problem. We had a similar situation where our party had different check in times and we were all able to check in together at the earlier time.

Edited by Pitzel

Also, looking on the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative site, it looks like a photocopy of a birth certificate would suffice for those under the age of 16, in the event that you needed to get a copy of the birth certificate rushed to you and couldn't get the original or a certified copy in time.

• U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.

45 minutes ago, Pitzel said:

Do you have any other documents that would show a link between your wife and the 15 year old? Maybe a marriage license, divorce decree, or court order showing that they once had the same last name (if that is, indeed, the case)?

For more info about traveling with a child that does not have the same last name, see: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2931

As for the check in times, I don't think you should have a problem. We had a similar situation where our party had different check in times and we were all able to check in together at the earlier time.

Thanks for the help!  She never had the same last name as her son.  So in order to prove we would need his birth certificate and our marriage license to show her old last name.  Almost seems pointless to have the passport card.  The only reason we got them was so we didnt have to travel with all these documents.  Not the end of the world to spend $23 on another birth certificate, just a waste when we have one and just waiting for it back.

Just now, periatza34 said:

Thanks for the help!  She never had the same last name as her son.  So in order to prove we would need his birth certificate and our marriage license to show her old last name.  Almost seems pointless to have the passport card.  The only reason we got them was so we didnt have to travel with all these documents.  Not the end of the world to spend $23 on another birth certificate, just a waste when we have one and just waiting for it back.

Have you called NCL to see if having different last names will be an issue in your situation?

3 minutes ago, Pitzel said:

Have you called NCL to see if having different last names will be an issue in your situation?

I haven't yet.  Still a little over two weeks away to get our documents.  If it comes down to it, it won't be hard for us to get a new certificate.  I'll call closer to sail date if need be.

We never had an issue and my wife, daughter and I all have different last names.  But as always you never know any rule that is in place probably has an  " at discretion"  little footnote.

I am not quite sure why you went with the cards since they cannot be used for international travel you have limited yourself in my opinion.

I would go ahead and get the birth certificate this week.  It's always a good idea to have a couple certified copies in case something like this comes up again.  Also if you get it sooner rather than later you are not running around a day or two before the trip getting it.  

On 4/7/2023 at 12:45 PM, periatza34 said:

So we decided to get our 15 and 5 year old passport cards instead of passports and the 16 year old a full passport.  We got the 16 year old's passport in the mail two weeks ago.  We still dont have the passport cards and we sail out in 16 days. I think we will have the cards by the time we sail, but I'm not sure the birth certificates will be mailed back in time.  the 15 year old has a different last name than my wife and I.  Without that birth certificate, will they take my wife's word that he is her son with the passport card?  Do I have to go and buy new birth certificates now?  What really is the point of the passport card if I still need to travel with their birth certificates?  

Also, when doing online check in, I checked 4 of us in early in the morning and was able to get 9:30-10 check in time.  I wasnt able to check in the 5th till later in the day and was only able to get 10-10:30 check in time for him.  They can't assume a minor is going to check in 30 minutes later than the rest of the family?  I have only cruised two other times and with no minors before so I can't really remember how the process goes.  Am I just being too worried?  Last thing I want to do is fly all the way down there and get denied boarding.

If you are a US citizen sailing on a closed loop cruise with Norwegian (meaning starting at a US port and ending at a US port), then your children (15y and 5y) do not need a birth certificate or a passport (card) to sail.  I went last week out of PR with a 16y and she never had to show ID (just her cruise card) to get on/off the ship.  For gov't issued ID, we actually used her school ID card. Minors get flagged getting on/off the ship, but the NCL security merely check to see if there is an adult there. When you check-in at the port, you have to show whatever proof of ID you used in the online checkin for the child.  So, if you used a passport card number, then you will need that because the check-in person will match.  If you used a birth certificate, then you need that. 

Edited by spenecer

Aside from any cruise ship requirements, I wholeheartedly echo obtaining extra notified copies of birth certificates, and not just passport cards, but actual passports for the entire family.  

As a physician who has worked in multiple locations overseas, arranging emergency medical transport is incredibly complicated and can lead to delays or inability to transfer without definitive proof of citizenship (and insurance). Take photos of all documents and keep on your phone and in a cloud for easy access. Make sure someone at home knows your phone and cloud passcodes. In a pinch, the US embassy can usually help expedite travel with a letter from the consulate allowing travel back to the US. 

Yes, I know your main focus is in boarding / disembarking the ship, but I am a "worst case scenario" type of gal ... and I've unfortunately seen many "worst cases". 

Now, with all that gloomy advice, I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Warmest, Amy