Why Cruise?

Yorkypete

10 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Having been to Malta and the Scottish Highlands (many times) I’d happily pay twice as much to go to Scotland. I would rank our last touring holiday of Scotland above most cruises we have done (and we’ve enjoyed lots of cruises). 

Yes I'm looking forward to it 

We are basing ourselves at The Torridon Hotel

But will do a lot of travelling and activities

Had my eye on it for a while

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. We haven’t ditched P&O. We are concerned about all the things that have changed since the resumption of cruising post Covid, but want to experience it for ourselves to see how it impacts on our cruise experience. We have cruises on Iona and Ventura booked for this year and will still book with P&O, but at a lower price ceiling than we have paid previously. We are booked on our first Cunard cruise next year and will book a Saga cruise when an interesting itinerary at a sensible price comes up.  

Sorry I didn't mean you'd ditched P&O, I just meant you were going to try other lines and the new Celebrity ships offer excellent tendering for wheelchair users from what I've seen.

• Like 1

Why do I cruise?

I was brought up on ships.

I work with and on board cruise ships in my local ports.   First one on Tuesday (No.1 of 150 this summer).

I have an emotional attachment to Arcadia.

Queen Mary 2 was on my bucket list.   The first time I looked out of the terminal window and saw her up close, I was in awe.  I still am.

I discovered MSC Virtuosa thanks to a very generous NHS staff discount.  Again, I was smitten.  I still am.

Life is too short not to.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Perhaps so but you will go with a better cruise experience and food.

But I've got to a stage where destinations are probably the most important factor in an itinerary. I'd rather look at other lines such as Ambassador and Fred Olsen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I can relate to most of the positives mentioned above, but the biggest plus for us these days is that cruise ships are great holidays for wheelchair users. Adapted cabins are good, things like assisted embarkation are appreciated and we find that the vast majority of staff on the ship are extremely accommodating. My wife feels comfortable and safe on a cruise ship which, given all that she has to endure with her disability is a godsend. As her carer, it’s also a break for me. It’s just a shame that there’s no ability for wheelchair users to use tenders. 

Wheelchair users can use tenders on Royal caribbean and Celebrity, and sometimes Princess, that of course is if they use shore side tenders with roll on/off facilities. Not sure why P&O did not have the same sort of stair lift arrangement as Celebrities Solstice ships do, or the ramped arrangement that Freedom class Royal Caribbean ships have?

• Like 2

P&O is very good value for the price paid. I go on Cunard once or twice a year, which is a better experience, but I do have to part with more money in exchange! I intend to book P&O three or four times a year from now on if they continue to provide such excellent value.

I would go on more cruises but alas I still have to work and retirement is some way off yet!

• Like 8

I have cruised because as a solo (and despite the exorbitant single supplements) it was always (and still is) one of the safest ways to see the world and meet lots of different people……

I would never have gone to the Great Wall of China, visited India and Vietnam etc etc on my own.

I am returning to Aurora soon for my first cruise in 3.5 years. I’m not expecting it to be the same experience as before but I’m still excited to be boarding my second home once again albeit for only a week. It remains to be seen whether I change my allegiance to another cruise line after that.

I appreciate I am not the type of passenger P&O is now interested in (single, mid 60s, only a couple of alcoholic drinks a day and no tours purchased this time). A shame, but I certainly had a blast on their ships for 25 years!

• Like 16

40 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I have cruised because as a solo (and despite the exorbitant single supplements) it was always (and still is) one of the safest ways to see the world and meet lots of different people……

I would never have gone to the Great Wall of China, visited India and Vietnam etc etc on my own.

I am returning to Aurora soon for my first cruise in 3.5 years. I’m not expecting it to be the same experience as before but I’m still excited to be boarding my second home once again albeit for only a week. It remains to be seen whether I change my allegiance to another cruise line after that.

I appreciate I am not the type of passenger P&O is now interested in (single, mid 60s, only a couple of alcoholic drinks a day and no tours purchased this time). A shame, but I certainly had a blast on their ships for 25 years!

I really hope you enjoy your cruise. I suspect you will. We don't have an allegiance, having sailed with P&O, Celebrity and RC since you know what stopped scuppering plans. That's 7 cruises 7 UK self catering and a few fly aways. I'm sure P&O will welcome you still. As we all get older, they need some new blood, that's fine as long as they evolve at the right pace. Off to Malta on Tuesday.  I won't wear a Zap hat.......just in case.🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Like 4

Just now, kalos said:

They say it's nice there and you will never get sea sick .

Where are you staying and what's the evening entertainment like ,do they do karaoke ?

If so have a bash at Candy Staton song  "Nights on Broadway " Very popular song 😉

We fly out on Tuesday and join Azura on Thursday for a week around Grease ( sic ) and Turkey, then back to Malta for another night. I must look up the name of the hotel. Since you mentioned Kraoke it gone right out of my ........?...It might be hotel california. I hope the driver of the big yellow taxi knows...." head".

• Like 1

Boarding Aurora this morning. No stress. You only need to see the problems with air, road, train and ferry travel this weekend to understand why we still love cruising, Have tried Cunard and not noticed much difference from P&O except the price! Am happy to cruise 6 or 7 times a year with P&O on the small ships in a balcony cabin and pay the premium. Each to their own.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We fly out on Tuesday and join Azura on Thursday

4 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Boarding Aurora this morning. No stress.

Sure you will have a great time ,enjoy !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Customer service much better than most hotels I have been to.

Good food and nice restaurants with a bigger choice than most hotels.

Good choice of bars and entertainment all under the same roof.

Balcony with changing views.

Easy to embark and disembark and can leave the car at the port easily.

Good excursions and knowing we won’t be left behind if we book via the ship.

Feeling safe and having a common interest with other shipmates.

Civilised.

I just love being at sea - it feels like escaping.

Have always found it easy to get any problems solved.

Not too bothered about destinations even if it’s a repeat - would go anywhere at any time if the price was right - although new is more appealing.

We like adults only so it’s only p&o Arcadia and Aurora , Marella Explorer 2, Saga and Ambassador for us(not tried yet).

Usually have had very good holidays on P&O and found the balcony prices very reasonable so far.

Saga very good but we prefer the atmosphere on others.

Marella explorer 2 has been excellent so far but fly cruise - so a bit of a hassle.

Booked on Marella Explorer 2 in May.

Aurora in late August and December.

Have not been in Aurora for a many years so be interesting to see how it is.

Very interesting thread.

Happy Easter shipmates !

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Customer service much better than most hotels I have been to.

Good food and nice restaurants with a bigger choice than most hotels.

Good choice of bars and entertainment all under the same roof.

Balcony with changing views.

Easy to embark and disembark and can leave the car at the port easily.

Good excursions and knowing we won’t be left behind if we book via the ship.

Feeling safe and having a common interest with other shipmates.

Civilised.

I just love being at sea - it feels like escaping.

Have always found it easy to get any problems solved.

Not too bothered about destinations even if it’s a repeat - would go anywhere at any time if the price was right - although new is more appealing.

We like adults only so it’s only p&o Arcadia and Aurora , Marella Explorer 2, Saga and Ambassador for us(not tried yet).

Usually have had very good holidays on P&O and found the balcony prices very reasonable so far.

Saga very good but we prefer the atmosphere on others.

Marella explorer 2 has been excellent so far but fly cruise - so a bit of a hassle.

Booked on Marella Explorer 2 in May.

Aurora in late August and December.

Have not been in Aurora for a many years so be interesting to see how it is.

Very interesting thread.

Happy Easter shipmates !

Got off Aurora two weeks ago and back on her today. She is still as nice as she used to be with lots of new carpet, furniture, TV's, etc. I still find her the most friendly of the ships. Size does matter! Sorry, but I cannot stand the new ships. Just not my style.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Got off Aurora two weeks ago and back on her today. She is still as nice as she used to be with lots of new carpet, furniture, TV's, etc. I still find her the most friendly of the ships. Size does matter! Sorry, but I cannot stand the new ships. Just not my style.

Which of the new ships have you tried Fionboard? And what didnt you enjoy?

19 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Good to know - thanks Fi

Do I still love cruising? I don't know yet as I haven't cruised since 2019. A combination of Covid, illness, and work commitments all combined to make things impossible to do anything other than the odd week in the UK by the coast - all of which I thoroughly enjoyed.

What I loved about cruising was the anticipation of seeing the ship for the first time, of walking the "gangplank" to get on board, seeing the cabin for the first time, of the sounds of the sea, and of just being in each moment.

I think it's important to acknowledge too that not everyone on here is privileged enough to be able to cruise several times a year - for a variety of reasons - and are maybe not as disillusioned about the event as some. To me cruising is still an event to be savoured and I will always try to find positives wherever I can - in people, places, in the sea. I'm not yet jaded yet.

Anyway, I'll let you know in October if I still love cruising when I disembark Britannia!

Have a happy day everyone. Jane xx

• Like 16

30 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I tried Azura a few years ago.  Hated it.  Crowded, noisy, particularly with that awful seascreen.  And too big.

To me that's fine that you didn't like it . There is no such thing as a bad cruise ship, We did 

F O ship a few years ago ,very nice but it wasn't for us ,yet we love the Azura and people

have to find a ship that suits them . I'm sure we have all watched You Tube films and thought 

"No way ,that's not what we are looking for "  and the other side of the coin we see a ship that 

we hope to have the pleasure of cruising on one day .

Like buying a pair of shoes we all buy what suits us and we feel good in .

Edited by kalos
to not too -caught the keyboard
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

Too me that's fine that you didn't like it . There is no such thing as a bad cruise ship, We did 

F O ship a few years ago ,very nice but it wasn't for us ,yet we love the Azura and people

have to find a ship that suits them . I'm sure we have all watched You Tube films and thought 

"No way ,that's not what we are looking for "  and the other side of the coin we see a ship that 

we hope to have the pleasure of cruising on one day .

Like buying a pair of shoes we all buy what suits us and we feel good in .

Yes agree.  Just that if Azura was too big, we wouldn't be trying anything bigger!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Boarding Aurora this morning. No stress. You only need to see the problems with air, road, train and ferry travel this weekend to understand why we still love cruising, Have tried Cunard and not noticed much difference from P&O except the price! Am happy to cruise 6 or 7 times a year with P&O on the small ships in a balcony cabin and pay the premium. Each to their own.

Have a wonderful time and whisper to Aurora that I’ll be seeing her in a few weeks!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Which of the new ships have you tried Fionboard? And what didnt you enjoy?

Iona twice. Second time only because it was so cheap!  As a solo cruiser I hate freedom dining or dining alone. Queues everywhere. Crowded - awful pinch point between theatre/pub to atrium - bad design. Atrium like an airport terminal. No atmosphere. Arvia probably much the same! I am considerably older than you and have probably done many more cruises than you. Have tried all size ships. Love Britannia and Ventura. Try cruising solo and you will get my drift! Different experience.

• Like 5