Room upgrades

Auburn88**

Will be cruising June 10th and we are booked on Deck 4. How do the upgrades work and what are the chances of getting an upgrade to a balcony for this time? Do they offer bidding for rooms or just upgrade at no cost if there is availability?

4 hours ago, tashaaa said:

This would also interest me. We also booked the window cabin, but are now wondering to switch to balcony. 
So if anyone has experience with this, please let us know 😃

Usually and again I say 'usually' PG will solicit about 30 - 40 days prior to your cruise with a price for an upgrade.  This is usually the case if there are upgrades available. Many times I've been on full cruises so for those that wanted an upgrade there was none available. 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

• 1 month later...

Hi! 

We are on the same trip as you, just got, and took my upgrade offer from window to balcony! So happy, it would have been my first window room, lol, not that there's anything wrong with that 😅 We have 3 and the extra room, plus just having a balcony! OMG! 

Hi DarkestBlue,

I'm happy for you 🙂  Just about 29 days to our vacation  🙂

How did you get the upgrade offer?

I contacted Ponant, and they said that the upgrade would cost 2900$, which is out of our budget, and we didn't take it. I don't know if there is some better option...

Hi! I'm still smiling! 🤗  We only booked the trip May 1st, I did a bunch of research, trying to find a good travel agent as mine had retired, and turns out her agency didn't handle PG anyways. We are on the 8 day, I wound up with a good amount of OBC, and told the travel agent that I was interested in upgrades if any became available. I was totally ready to stick with my original choice, but for the three of us, it was less than the above number mentioned. I got an email from the agent yesterday. Not sure where you are booking from, may be different outside of USA? You may be able to tranfer booking to an agent and get something from it. Good Luck, fingers crossed 🤞🏻

And I’m happy for you 🙂

We are from Slovenia, I couldn’t even find a travel agent to book a PG cruise, got one offer after one month, the price was very high. So I ended booking the cruise through Ponant. 

I always hear how travel agents in USA really help costumers, to get a good price, about repricing a cruise… In our little country this is sadly not a case. Still searching for some good agent, I dont know if I can use an american one…

I'm sorry that they've made it difficult to get a deal, have you ever considered booking online using a VPN from a different country? I don't know if that would work for this kind of thing, but it's the only thing that comes to mind. I did keep checking the cabins to see how full the sailing was. Using that, you may be able to show them the logic of moving you up, so someone else can book the less expensive cabin you would leave behind 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Just wanted to say Slovenia is lovely! First we went to the Predjama Castle, then to Ljubljana, where they were having a huge celebration in the city, giving out free beer (two kinds!) and sausage sandwiches - we had no idea what we had stumbled on! We had a great time, everyone was very welcoming to us. Seems like a nice place to live, and free college! Wow! We just finished paying our son's first year 🤑

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

I'm sorry that they've made it difficult to get a deal, have you ever considered booking online using a VPN from a different country? I don't know if that would work for this kind of thing, but it's the only thing that comes to mind. I did keep checking the cabins to see how full the sailing was. Using that, you may be able to show them the logic of moving you up, so someone else can book the less expensive cabin you would leave behind 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

How did you check the cabins to see how full the sailing is? I'm very curious about how full our sailing is, but I have no clue how to see that for myself. And I don't want to keep bothering my TA.

32 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

How did you check the cabins to see how full the sailing is? I'm very curious about how full our sailing is, but I have no clue how to see that for myself. And I don't want to keep bothering my TA.

You have to do dummy booking. You can't see the percentage of how full the ship is actually, is but you can get an idea of how many cabins are available in your level. So log into your PG account, select the cruise you're on from the main menu, and choose the cabin level - it will come back and show at the top, how many people,  plug that in if not 2, comes back with cabin level to select again, click that, then the deck plan page comes up and says that you're assigned to cabin blah blah blah. If that category has more than one cabin available, it will ask if you want to choose another cabin? Yes, click on that, it will come back, usually, with up to five cabins to choose from. That's how I knew they were down to the last two cabins that would hold three people, there was a cabin on the end that I wouldn't take even if it is a balcony, due to its position. So there was one left that was meeting my criteria. When travel agent sent me the email, I jumped on it.

Edited by TheDarkestBlue
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

You have to do dummy booking. You can't see the percentage of how full the ship is actually, is but you can get an idea of how many cabins are available in your level. So log into your PG account, select the cruise you're on from the main menu, and choose the cabin level - it will come back and show at the top, how many people,  plug that in if not 2, comes back with cabin level to select again, click that, then the deck plan page comes up and says that you're assigned to cabin blah blah blah. If that category has more than one cabin available, it will ask if you want to choose another cabin? Yes, click on that, it will come back, usually, with up to five cabins to choose from. That's how I knew they were down to the last two cabins that would hold three people, there was a cabin on the end that I wouldn't take even if it is a balcony, due to its position. So there was one left that was meeting my criteria. When travel agent sent me the email, I jumped on it.

Thanks! Yep that works. Our cruise is still pretty far away, but some categories are already sold out (including all porthole cabins, and the two upper levels). We don't want an upgrade - we booked very early as we needed that one and only accessible room (my friend that I'm cruising with is mobility challenged) so we were happy to get it. It's actually 25sf larger than the usual PG cabin, so that works for us! It would have been nice to get a balcony, but having a walk-in shower (not a bathtub) and other accessibility features was more important.

19 hours ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

Just wanted to say Slovenia is lovely! First we went to the Predjama Castle, then to Ljubljana, where they were having a huge celebration in the city, giving out free beer (two kinds!) and sausage sandwiches - we had no idea what we had stumbled on! We had a great time, everyone was very welcoming to us. Seems like a nice place to live, and free college! Wow! We just finished paying our son's first year 🤑

Nice to hear you liked Slovenia, it’s small but beautiful. 🙂 and yes we are very lucky to have free education.