Questions on hotel, transport info in England

After our recent holiday, I can confirm that signage in Heathrow is excellent. I can also confirm that it's a long trudge through immigration, baggage claim and customs to the meet and greet area. 

If I were you, I would not rush. With any luck, the regulars-in-a-hurry will be long gone by the time you get there.

2 hours ago, Bob++ said:

After our recent holiday, I can confirm that signage in Heathrow is excellent. I can also confirm that it's a long trudge through immigration, baggage claim and customs to the meet and greet area. 

If I were you, I would not rush. With any luck, the regulars-in-a-hurry will be long gone by the time you get there.

Thank you. I have no intention of rushing🙂 and since I won't have a connection to worry about, I will just walk at my normal pace and get to each place when I get there.

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Thank you. I have no intention of rushing🙂 and since I won't have a connection to worry about, I will just walk at my normal pace and get to each place when I get there.

It’s not that bad - but like any big airport the amount of walking depends on your terminal and gate. I found Miami much worse than Heathrow when it comes to walking distances.

8 hours ago, Bob++ said:

How long would you say it would take to get through all the above?  Although I don't yet have my flight info yet, We will need to arrange transportation from the airport (either Heathrow or Gatwick)  to the Southampton Port.  Thanks 

12 minutes ago, MichelleR1963 said:

How long would you say it would take to get through all the above?  Although I don't yet have my flight info yet, We will need to arrange transportation from the airport (either Heathrow or Gatwick)  to the Southampton Port.  Thanks 

It should take no longer than an hour to get landside, and quite possibly far less.

If you have a US passport (or EU or many other countries) you can use the automated gates at the UK border instead of queueing to see an immigration officer. There’s often no queue at all for those. Customs is normally just a walk-through unless you have goods to declare or are unlucky enough to get stopped. The main variable, as at most airports, is baggage reclaim.

15 minutes ago, MichelleR1963 said:

From landing to bus (Heathrow) or train (Gatwick) allow two hours. For a private transfer perhaps 90 minutes, but your transfer operator will probably suggest a time based on your scheduled flight arrival (and they do monitor for delayed flights)

Gatwick usually a little quicker the Heathrow, and quicker at both airports if you have biometric passports (icon of a camera at the bottom of the front cover).

JB 🙂

43 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

It should take no longer than an hour to get landside, and quite possibly far less.

If you have a US passport (or EU or many other countries) you can use the automated gates at the UK border instead of queueing to see an immigration officer. There’s often no queue at all for those. Customs is normally just a walk-through unless you have goods to declare or are unlucky enough to get stopped. The main variable, as at most airports, is baggage reclaim.

We do have passports so perhaps that will be helpful..  This is our first international flight.  Won't know our airport/flight info until 45 days out.

Let your taxi operator tell you what they think. As said above, they will monitor the flight and make allowances for any delays. 

Waiting at the airport is expensive, so they keep it to the minimum. 

• Like 1