Worst cruise excursion ideas

Balliett

thanks for the laughs....the posts are great !!! BUT how does a newbie ( yours truly ) know how to pick an excursion....feeling just a tad skittish after reading some of these stories...

Hey Rita, ever done the "road to Hana" on Maui?

Actually I did ... but not on a cruise ship excursion. It was called SkyTrek to Hana ... you fly one way by helicopter and then drive the other. Brings the length of the excursion down to about six hours instead of eleven or twelve, which we did not have.

We were in comfortable SUVs, so it actually wasn't that uncomfortable, though a few people did get motion sick. Fortunately, I didn't encounter that problem.

I really enjoyed that tour ... and would probably do it again at some point. But, once again, I wouldn't want to dedicate eleven or twelve hours to it, so I would have to see if I could book the SkyTrek again independently.

Blue skies ...

--rita

mim100...

BUT how does a newbie ( yours truly ) know how to pick an excursion....feeling just a tad skittish after reading some of these stories...
First thing you do is ignore all mine, as they are made up. Next is to take ship-sponsored tours from the Shorex (shore excursion) office onboard. They may cost a bit more and you go where they go, but they will give you a safe, back-in-time trip. When you get a few of these done, then you can chat on the board and get ideas from other people.

We've had shore excursions with bad features, such as prices that are too high, uncomfortable buses, too much time at shops whose owner the bus driver just "happens to know", etc.-but never anything so bad we've asked for our money back. Some of our best excursions were backstairs excursions such as Newport Mansions from the servant's point of view, soldier for a day, experience life in xxth century old town, etc. The following shore excursion probably wouldn't make our list of best excursions.

"Room steward for a day. $99 adults, $75 children.

"Experience life as experienced by the people who clean up your messes. Get no days off for several months. Work all night getting passengers ready for disembarkation, then clean the filth they've left behind, and carry luggage of newly arrived passengers to their rooms. Be on call in the early morning, at mid day, and at night, and spend your spare time making "towel animals". Do all of this with a smile, while living in cramped quarters thousands of miles away from loved ones. See weath undreamed of in your home country, while working for meagre wages and tips, all the while having to speak a foreign language. Get bawled out, and have your tips cut, if you sometimes fail to understand what the people who treat you like a servant are trying to say."

We salute the men and women who make our wonderful cruises possible! :D

"Room steward for a day. $99 adults, $75 children.

We salute the men and women who make our wonderful cruises possible! :D

If I thought the entire fee would go to my steward, I just might do that one! (Only for one day, and NOT embark/disembarking day!)

Here, Here for the stewards who treat us so well....

Paul

Archived