Port times...

I understand that exact port hours are a last minute thing, but I wish that Viking could give us some idea before 14 days before. It is hard to schedule things in port when you don't know. I know we can estimate by looking at times on excursions, but at least a tentative timeline would be helpful. Any suggestions....

Have you looked at your booking itinerary they sent you when you booked your cruise?  I’m looking at one I recently booked a month ago, and on page 4 the ports and the times in port are listed.  It’s probably not definite, but it’s pretty close.

3 hours ago, austinetc said:

Ocean cruises usually do include port times. Have you looked at MyVikingJourney.com? The Calendar screen.

Yes thanks, they have 7-11 for every port. 

3 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Have you looked at your booking itinerary they sent you when you booked your cruise?  I’m looking at one I recently booked a month ago, and on page 4 the ports and the times in port are listed.  It’s probably not definite, but it’s pretty close.

Great...that worked. I think I got a good enough idea to go forward with plans. I really wanted to see if there were ports where we would be having short days. Thanks

3 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Yes thanks, they have 7-11 for every port. 

Great...that worked. I think I got a good enough idea to go forward with plans. I really wanted to see if there were ports where we would be having short days. Thanks

Just FYI, the My Viking Journey calendar only shows the port times if you have an excursion booked - otherwise they don't show up. Bizarre.

Your invoice is the best guide - but recognize it's only a guide. Port times are always subject to change and frequently do compared to the invoice. Cheers 🍺🥌

16 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

I understand that exact port hours are a last minute thing, but I wish that Viking could give us some idea before 14 days before. It is hard to schedule things in port when you don't know. I know we can estimate by looking at times on excursions, but at least a tentative timeline would be helpful. Any suggestions....

More labor intensive, but you can also look up the cruise ship schedules by performing an internet search to find the websites of the individual ports.  Here's one for Oslo, for example:  https://www.oslohavn.no/globalassets/oslo-havn/dokumenter/cruise/20230321-cruiseanlop-oslo-.pdf.  Some ports, of course, have better, more-user-friendly information than others.

There are also some websites that collate ship and port schedules.  I used to like CruiseMapper, but they have not been as reliable post-pandemic.  MarineTraffic is another one, but some of its functions require a subscription.  (I found a combination of these two helpful for river cruise schedules--I started following the ship we were sailing about a month out and noting the times in port.  The websites have real-time (near real-time) tracking capabilities.)

CurlerRob, yes I have noted that on My Viking Journey. The thing is to book excursions it's nice to have port times, but you can't get port times until you book excursions. Go figure....

loriva, thanks, I have done that before and had fairly good success for most of the ports. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

CurlerRob, yes I have noted that on My Viking Journey. The thing is to book excursions it's nice to have port times, but you can't get port times until you book excursions. Go figure....

loriva, thanks, I have done that before and had fairly good success for most of the ports. 

The port times are located on the booking invoice.  Of course are subject to change.