Using a FCD on a world cruise booking

polmcs

Last week I booked a cabin on the Crown 2025 WC. As I had a FCD that I wanted to use, as per the Princess website instructions, I placed my cabin on hold and called in the next morning to have the FCD applied and to receive the 3% discount for doing so, as well as having the deposit reduced to 5%. 

That all went well, I I saw the new discounted cruise fare, but they took a credit card deposit for the whole 5% and no allowance for the $100 FCD was given. In fact, if I added the amount of the deposit paid, to the outstanding balance, the total came to exactly the same as the discounted fare. This morning, I see two $100 credits from Princess on my credit card statements which I assume are the two $100 FCDs that I applied to the booking (1 for each passenger). Is this standard behavior for an FCD used for a WC? No biggie as I got around $1400 off the cruise fare, but I’m assuming that the FCD is gone for good should something happen and I need to cancel? I’m not out any money, but the FCDs I used were purchased under the old “book within 24 months” rule.

Curious.

58 minutes ago, polmcs said:

Last week I booked a cabin on the Crown 2025 WC. As I had a FCD that I wanted to use, as per the Princess website instructions, I placed my cabin on hold and called in the next morning to have the FCD applied and to receive the 3% discount for doing so, as well as having the deposit reduced to 5%. 

That all went well, I I saw the new discounted cruise fare, but they took a credit card deposit for the whole 5% and no allowance for the $100 FCD was given. In fact, if I added the amount of the deposit paid, to the outstanding balance, the total came to exactly the same as the discounted fare. This morning, I see two $100 credits from Princess on my credit card statements which I assume are the two $100 FCDs that I applied to the booking (1 for each passenger). Is this standard behavior for an FCD used for a WC? No biggie as I got around $1400 off the cruise fare, but I’m assuming that the FCD is gone for good should something happen and I need to cancel? I’m not out any money, but the FCDs I used were purchased under the old “book within 24 months” rule.

Curious.

Yep. you got it right...cannot use an FCD on a WC...they offer the 3% discount instead.  It is all in the T&C for the FCD's.  I think the FCDs are gone as a result.  If you want or need more you likely need to buy them...and I don't know if you can do so on a WC.  

1 hour ago, polmcs said:

Curious.

The process worked as it should have.  Your FCD is exchanged (cashed in) in exchange for a 3% discount on long voyages and that nets you more than the FCD OBC.  No double-dipping - LOL.

If the WC is cancelled, you get your cash deposit back, but true the FCD's are burned since they were refunded.

Thanks folks. I knew that I wouldn’t get an OBC for using the FCD. The 3%    discount was worth way more than any OBC that might have been offered.  I’ll still chase them up for the shareholders credit much closer to departure time.

I just wasn’t aware that the FCD would go away entirely if I cancelled the cruise, even if there would have still been some validity on the FCD, especially as I mentioned in the base note that it was still under the old rules.

9 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

That should come to a nice hefty amount!

Why? If the OP has one booking, the max shareholders is $250. Yes the WC can be bought in ‘segments’, but it seems the OP getting the discount and applying only one FCD each, it is only one booking so shareholders will only be $250.

7 hours ago, wallyj said:

Why? If the OP has one booking, the max shareholders is $250. Yes the WC can be bought in ‘segments’, but it seems the OP getting the discount and applying only one FCD each, it is only one booking so shareholders will only be $250.

We may very well be in different tax brackets...but I for one would very much welcome $250 in OBC.

• Like 1